Long sashing strips query...

Old July 28th 14, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Default Long sashing strips query...

Will the Quilt Police issue a citation if I'm forced to piece all of my long sashing strips? Is this going to be an egregious error on my part? If not, will I just piece the strips on the diagonal, much like I would do with binding? For aesthetics purposes, should I make each row of long sashing be pieced in about the same place or should it change from row to row?

-dlm. 'trying to finish UFOs as well as make use of my ancient stash'

Old July 28th 14, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

When I have to piece a saching or border, I either stick in a block from the quilt (a miniature sized- scaled down- block if necessary) or a piece of another fabric in the quilt or the signature/dedication/'name of the quilt' block where the seam will be. Sometimes, I put the 'extra' blocks in the center of each side or stagger them or even scatter several filler blocks thru out the saching or border to make it longer and/or where the seam would be. Or you can make the diagonal seam as you described and piece in diagonal piece of a different fabric from the quilt where the seam will be.

No one has to know The Why of it. It's merely what you wanted to do- A Design Element- rather than an 'oopsie, the fabric wasn't long enough'. ;-)

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 29th 14, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian[_3_]

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 11:33:39 -0700, - dlm. wrote:

Will the Quilt Police issue a citation if I'm forced to piece all of my
long sashing strips? Is this going to be an egregious error on my part?
If not, will I just piece the strips on the diagonal, much like I would
do with binding?

Sounds good to me, in fact I thought that this was how long strips were
always made and rarely cut as long, single pieces.

Brian Christiansen
Old July 29th 14, 01:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Leslie,

Thanks for your input! Unfortunately, since this is an ancient UFO, I don't seem to have any of the fabrics left from the front to act as "corner stones" to help mask the fact that I don't have the yardage to cut long strips.. That said, you did give me the idea to see if I have enough yardage to cut cornerstone type blocks from the background fabric rather than simply piecing long strips as I would a border or binding. Hmmmm...where is my graph paper and calculator.

- dlm.

Old July 29th 14, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

On 7/28/2014 1:33 PM, - dlm. wrote:
Will the Quilt Police issue a citation if I'm forced to piece all of
my long sashing strips? Is this going to be an egregious error on
my part? If not, will I just piece the strips on the diagonal, much
like I would do with binding? For aesthetics purposes, should I
make each row of long sashing be pieced in about the same place or
should it change from row to row?

-dlm. 'trying to finish UFOs as well as make use of my ancient
stash'

I've never received a citation from the quilt police for piecing sashing
strips. I've never fussed with placement of the seams either. I think
they might be less noticeable if they are random, but that's just my
opinion. Seams on the diagonal may be less noticeable, but that might
depend on your fabric; some prints might be better pieced straight.
I've done it both ways.

Julia in MN
Old July 29th 14, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

Following on from what Julia said: if you press the seams in the
sashing *open, they will be less noticeable whichever way you do them.

Pat on the Green
..

Old July 29th 14, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
- dlm.

Brian, Julia and Pat,

Thanks for weighing in. I calculated the amount of yardage necessary to create corner stones out of the background fabric and I would be cutting it too short (no pun intended). So, piecing it shall be! I'll place the diagonal seams randomly from row to row...hopefully, they won't show.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

- dlm. who is making some headway on UFOs

help with a sashing idahoqltr Quilting 2 November 10th 10 09:48 PM
Long bevel strips neeed Glassman@work Glass 4 September 28th 06 12:35 AM
Sashing Bonnie Patterson Quilting 2 May 13th 06 04:47 PM
cutting long strips Lindroos Quilting 9 October 30th 03 08:05 AM
Sashing Dustbunny \(Christina in OK\) Quilting 2 October 15th 03 07:49 PM