I shopped!

Old August 25th 03, 12:21 AM
MakeDoMom

Default I shopped!

This afternoon, I took my two gift certificates and $20 ($80), and my two
coupons and went to TSWLTH, and I done good!!!!!!!!!!

I bought:

Amish Wall Quilts by Rachel Pellman ( used one coupon)
12 - 1 yard pieces of solids
2 yards of a bright purple for a background/borders
4 print 1/4 yards
2 C&C big spools of thread
and, .................the most beautiful Gingher scissors - the ones with the
purple flowered handles - $39.95, BUT, I used the second coupon for them.
These I will have to hide from the family so they don't get used to cut paper.
It all came to a grand total of: $79.62, so it was really close!

That's it for shopping now until I live in my new house, on land that we'll pay
cash for (have to save, save, save and tightwad like crazy), and a new house
built a little at a time as we have the cash to do it. I've never built
anything before, but carpentry can't be a heck of a lot different than
quilting! My husband can do everything: electrical, plumbing, carpentry, etc.
And............I'll have a sewing room! I really prefer a room off the
kitchen, so that I can sew inbetween stirring stuff, etc.

So. It's time to use all that stash! No raiders, please! : )

I really want to make some Amish wallhangings because it'll keep my mind
focused on buying the land, because the area we've been looking at is smack dab
in the middle of an Amish community. Does anyone have Amish for neighbors?
How are they? Are they friendly if you are a neighbor and don't do anything
offensive to them?

Diane (make do mom) who's about to make do with lots and lots of projects

Old August 25th 03, 12:39 AM
Teresa in Colorado

I made that observation to the men building our new garage once - they
looked at me as if I was crazy and then went on with their work.

But gee - they took whole pieces of lumber, cut it up into different sized
pieces, then put it together in a different way than when it started.
Looked similar to me...

--
Teresa in Colorado

Old August 28th 03, 03:56 AM
Sk8eraunt

Does anyone have Amish for neighbors?
How are they? Are they friendly if you are a neighbor and don't do anything
offensive to them?

Where are you planning to live? My husband and I vacationed in Ohio's Amish
country last summer and had a wonderful time. Being Chinese and not familiar
with the Amish, I was totally charmed by their warmth and friendliness. I knew
some of the customs, such as the Amish don't care to have their pictures taken,
but I met one very nice Amish man who took me on a buggy ride, then made a
point of telling me he was going to sit on a bench for a bit. That time
allowed me walk a distance away from him and take his picture. I also had the
good fortune to come across a couple of Amish ladies working on a quilt. When
I explained that I was learning to quilt and would they mind if I watched them,
they let me make a few stitches on their quilt. I think you will very much
enjoy having these lovely people as neighbors.

kaila
Old August 30th 03, 03:34 AM
MakeDoMom

Thanks, Kaila,

I would so love to leave this mass of suburbia behind, and would so enjoy
having them as neighbors.

Can you tell I just got back from Walmart?
Walmart on a Friday night in the middle of suburbia is horrible, horrible,
horrible, and the 6 lane highway even worse. And the multiple kids shreiking
in that high-pitched scream!

I really long to sit on my porch and hear the clip-clop of horses passing by!

Diane