Happy dance

Old August 28th 03, 11:13 PM
Christina in OK

weee. always so cool when you finish one!
"Mel Rimmer" wrote in message
My baby quilt is finished! It's pieced, quilted, embellished, bound, and
it has a label. Did I leave anything out? I can't wait to give it to my
sister. It feels like it was a group effort because lots of people have
given me advice and encouragement. So let's have a group happy dance for
a finished quilt.
--
Mel Rimmer

Old August 29th 03, 01:35 AM
Queen of Squishies

Dancing in the moonlight for ya, Mel! And yes, you did leave something out.
Pictures!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 29th 03, 08:40 AM
Mel Rimmer

In article , Johanna Gibson
writes
Great job! If we can't see a picture, can you tell us which block
you used and which colors? How big is it? How did you bind it? Did
you quilt it or tie it or use buttons or what? We need details!

I freezer paper applique'd 3 royal blue hearts onto sunny yellow
backgrounds and 3 vice versa. Then I stack-n-slashed them and joined
them back together to make whacky heart blocks. The blocks are 6"
square. I alternated the whacky heart blocks with pale blue plain
blocks, like this:

¦ ¦*¦ ¦
¦*¦ ¦*¦
¦ ¦*¦ ¦
¦*¦ ¦*¦

Then I added a 3" string-pieced border, mitred, made from the same
fabrics as the blocks. So the quilt is 24"x30".

I made the quilt sandwich with 80/20 batting and a flannel (brushed
cotton) backing in Cobalt blue. Then I machine quilted it.

I quilted around the hearts, then echoed the heart shape inside at 1/4"
intervals. I quilted the same "hearts-within-hearts" pattern onto the
plain blocks. I quilted the background (not the border) with a 1/2" grid
of diamonds (not squares-on-point, but diamonds twice as tall as they
are wide). I SITD-ed the border.

Next I buttonholed stitched around the hearts in black, because some of
the outlines had become distorted during the stack-n-slash process. I
"smoothed over" the steps in the outline and made them more heart-
shaped. It makes them stand out better, too.

I double bound it in sunshine yellow, with mitred corners and
everything. There is a pre-printed label on the back with:
"MELANIE RIMMER
POYNTON 2003
FOR BABY SMITH #2"
on it, written in fabric marker pen.

There - now you don't need a photo!
--
Mel Rimmer

Finished Object -- Happy Dance!! SGC Needlework 2 February 19th 04 01:51 PM
Happy Dance - Finally! Ellice Needlework 2 December 18th 03 04:34 PM
Both a Happy Dance and Giving Up Charlotte Hippen Quilting 2 August 28th 03 03:17 AM
happy dance Ann Adamson Quilting 30 July 13th 03 06:35 PM
happy dance LN \(remove NOSPAM\) Quilting 0 July 10th 03 01:09 AM