Fat quarter bundles

Old June 17th 08, 12:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Fat quarter bundles

This is not a rant. I am blessed. 6 years ago, when we first started our
business, my sewing room became an office and fabric went.... everywhere.

I found some today.

LOTS of FQ's. It seems I fell in love with 'Medleys' 'Pretty Packs'
'Bundles' -- whatever you call 'em, I got em.

Hence a dilemma. What do you do with groups of (less than 12) fat quarters.

I've been dying to try out the Yellow Brick Road pattern... but it calls for
TWELVE FQ's for a lap quilt. The Wicked Easy quilts use the same amount. I
suspect I could go a bit smaller.. maybe cut blocks in half or something,
and use less, but I was looking for a 'formula' of some sort.

I have bundles ranging from 6 to 9. These are not 'baby' fabrics -- and they
are old.. at least 6 years, probably more, so 'coordinates' are not gonna
happen. I am not averse to buying a book or a pattern -- what do you ladies
do with your FQ bundles?

Lisa in NJ

Old June 17th 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

"L" wrote:

[...]

Make scrappy quilts! Cut them up and don't worry about matching them.
I am especially fond of Sally Schneider's books on this topic. The
ones I've been using recently are Scrap Frenzy and Scrapmania.
Plenty of other authors have books as well.
You could even pick a favorite pattern, say Ohio Star, and challenge
yourself to make as many different designs as possible based on where
you put the darks, lights and mediums.

Have fun!
Mary
Old June 17th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Mary in Rock Island IL" wrote in message
news
"L" wrote:

[...]

Oh... I like the challenge idea! THAT would be creative AND fun!

Thanks for the advice....

Old June 17th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
marigold

check out www.quiltville.com Bonnie Hunter has tons of free scrap quilts
and ideas. I love this sight

Marilyn
in sun is shining (but we have had showers again today)
Alberta, Canada

Old June 17th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Check out M'liss Rae Hawley's first Fat Quarter book. It is all designed
for 6 fats plus perhaps, a background, border fabric, etc. And for
coordinates.... often you can find Moda Marbles or Fusions (from R
Kaufman) or one of the other tone-on-tone or blender lines that will
work great to "fill out" the needed number. G The blenders also help
set off the prints a bit better, provide eye resting spots. VBG

Pati, in Phx

Old June 17th 08, 11:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

Lisa, check out Bonnie Hunter's wonderful scrap quilt patterns at
Quiltville.com

The books "Laps from Fats" and "More Laps from Fats" are FQ pattern
books.

Nann

Old June 17th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:44:08 -0400, "L"
wrote:

[...]

Especially if you have coordinating FQs, I like to cut them up and
use them as "frames" for either novelties or fussy-cut centres. For
example, if you have a blue bundle, it would be good to frame a bunch
of fish prints. You could use a green bundle to frame animals. It is
a way to bring together charms or fussy cut fabrics that don't
necessarily go together. I think this is explored in Clever Quilts as
well, where the author shows how to make the most of panels and
novelty fabrics.
I also like to turn random pieces of fabric and scraps into 3x6
finished Flying Geese and 3 1/2 finished Half Square Triangles. These
are two ongoing projects, and I think I have enough of each to do a
quilt now....

-- Jo in Scotland
Old June 18th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dee in Oz[_3_]

What great ideas Jo, framing could be plain or attic windows style and/or
done in an "I spy" style.

Dee in Oz

Old June 18th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Mix 'em in w/ everything else; sometimes one of the pieces will
coordinate w/ a new project at just the right time. Most fabric
goes w/ most other fabric; it's the nature of the beauties. ;-

Some of your fabrics are "old... at least 6 yrs" -- *snort*
I have fabric that I bought new 30+ yrs ago; it's in good shape.
Then there's the older, classic pieces I've acquired more recently,
things from the 1920s, 1930s-'40s, etc. I might consider some of
that as "old". g

Things is, many of these lovelies come back, in the next generation
of the trend they set the first time (Aunt Grace's, florals, batiks,
Mumm's, shirt prints, Beyers, William Morris). Surely, surely you
can find something(s) to add to your 9 fq to meet the minimum 12
you need for your pattern.
In my stash, fabrics "go together" if I say they do. ;-)

Good luck!

R/Sandy- never was fond of the YBRd or Turning 20 patterns...

Old June 18th 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Sandy Ellison" wrote in message
[...]

Heh. I will try that.