tubular piecing/quilting

Old August 2nd 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nana2b

Default tubular piecing/quilting

I bought the book and the technique looks like a great way to achieve that
fabulous look. I haven't tried it yet. My To-Do list grows and grows!

Linda in Tx

Old August 2nd 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Cats" wrote in message
Quilt was very flat. I suspect (whispering) it may have
been the quilter wanted to stretch the top too tightly and
was distorting the top. It has happened before.

Yeah, I've seen that too.

Still don't think I would fancy pushing one through a DSM -
but then again, I never did enjoy that side of quiltmaking
LOL

Funny, all my customers say that! LOL

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old August 2nd 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Looks like I need another book!
I've made bias binding in a tube. I've used the tube method to produce a
straight edge on a hexagon piece. But never this sort of Seminole/ bargello
stuff. You're right, it would make a cool border. Or do a bunch of samples
of different patterns and use them as attic window centers...
Roberta in D

"Ellen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
So I was watching Simply Quilts to day and saw this show:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...403701,00.html

Anyone tried this? I thought it might be interesting for borders. My
eyeballs always roll up in my head when I do any seminole beyond the very
very basic so I can't decide if I will have the same reaction to this or
not. OTOH I am always happy to find a way to make a border that looks like
you sat around and cut 12 million odd shaped pieces and sewed them
together when you didn't actually have to do that ...

Ellen

Old August 2nd 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
Ellen wrote:

Looks amazing - but you don't want to know about what a
nightmare it was to get longarm quilted!!! All that
not-exactly-45-degree-bias was awful to get put on the
machine. I shudder to think of trying to handle it through
a domestic machine.

Interesting! Alex asked about the bias and the gal shrugged it off. But
it concerned me ... I guess thru a domestic machine would require an
amazing number of pins to try to hold it in place.

I think a quilters attitude about bias depends upon other sewing
experience. Alex gets in a panic over bias. I see other quilters who
came from garment sewing shrug bias and curves off.

For basting...I would use fusible batting myself. Nothing ever seems to
shift when using that. (well, the good stuff anyway like Hobbs fusible;
the stuff from Joann's has a very uneven application of the fusible in
some batches)

marcella
Old August 2nd 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ellen

Roberta Zollner wrote:
Or do a bunch of samples
of different patterns and use them as attic window centers...

Oh very cool idea! Would be interesting to take one set of strips and
see how many different ways you could cut them and slide them and rotate
them ...

Oh yay! more projects!

Ellen
Old August 2nd 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I have something of a garment background so bias doesn't
"scare" me, just makes me cautious when teaching others. I
have seen some amazing stretches in my time. For example -
one woman made a RtW quit and "forced" the four strip pieced
panels together without the centre piece - and that wasn't
even on the bias!!

I usually use a walking foot for all sewing anyway, and have
worn out three. But JK doesn't own one, although she did
lightly starch her fabric before sutting all the strips.
She sews on a very old machien (can't remember the brand)
and does curves, straight seams and quilting all with the
same small simple foot with no problems and great precision.
She was still a learner at the time she made this quilt, but
since she didn't know any different she wasn't afraid of
bias either. I simply cautioned her about it and she went
ahead with a little more care than with straight piecing.
No real problems, although making the quilt bigger did mean
the finished top skewed a little and had to be trimmed a
bit.

Having had a bad experience with one of the earliest
fusibles I don't use them myself. I should get some of one
of the new "good" brands and give them a try I suppose. I
hated basting glue spray, but have some for those who want
to try it. I prefer the old method of basting the layers by
hand as it makes me feel more comfortable and absolutely
nothing gets out if control when you use a tailor's baste.
But as we are lucky enough to have a long arm quilter here
in our midst, she does all my quilting these days (mostly
just stipple quilting which she is very good at) and she did
a very good job on JK's tubular quilt - after she got over
the impulse to stretch it too tight.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
: In article ,
: Ellen wrote:
:
:

Old August 3rd 06, 09:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

IMO bias can be a pain to piece, but quilting it on a shortarm (my sole
experience) is no problem. In fact, my first pass over the quilt is very
often a big grid done on the bias. Then I can remove all basting pins and
quilt in the design areas between the gridlines.
Roberta in D

Old August 3rd 06, 12:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ellen

Roberta Zollner wrote:
:-) Enabling R Us! I look forward to your photos -it will save doing it
myself -maybe.
Roberta in D

rotfl!

Ellen

Old August 3rd 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

This SEEMS to be similar to the "New
Slant on Bargello" Designed by Marge
Edie at least 8 years back. (See book of
same name.) The cutting, and then
tubular joining, of the strips is very
similar. In Marge's book, one is
instructed to quilt as one joins the
strips.

IOW: layer the back and batting; draw a
few vertical lines on batting; position
first (center) strip along line; add
strip 2 RST; stitch, then open it flat'
repeat with next strip; finish strips;
add borders; bind. The Quilt is already
quilted, with no problems with bias!!
Couldn't one adapt this method to the
tubular style?
PAT in VA/USA

Ellen wrote:

So I was watching Simply Quilts to day and saw this show:

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...403701,00.html

Anyone tried this? I thought it might be interesting for borders. My
eyeballs always roll up in my head when I do any seminole beyond the
very very basic so I can't decide if I will have the same reaction to
this or not. OTOH I am always happy to find a way to make a border that
looks like you sat around and cut 12 million odd shaped pieces and sewed
them together when you didn't actually have to do that ...

Ellen

Italian Tubular Wire Mesh - VERY Good Prices! Lily&Tim Marketplace 1 June 29th 06 10:23 AM
designing tubular peyote pattern Kathy Beads 5 January 20th 06 08:16 AM
Finishing Tubular Peyote Beadbimbo Beads 2 September 27th 05 07:22 PM
Totally Tubular Quilts Mardi Quilting 13 January 13th 05 10:00 PM
tubular knitting using straight needles Anita Keeton Yarn 13 July 3rd 04 06:48 PM