OT - Cat diarrhea

Old August 1st 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

Default OT - Cat diarrhea

Hello folks,
It seems that Sasha has diarrhea (I know, not the most pleasant
thing to talk about). I went out at a quarter to 5 to help my friend
Keiko with her triplets (15 months old) and she seemed fine. When I
came back at 10:30, she looked upset. I found that she had not been
able to get muck off her back foot after using the litter, and it had
a sour smell, almost like sour milk (but she's never drank milk in her
whole life). I got a warm, wet washcloth and cleaned the kitty up,
and she started purring. I know that cats hate to be unclean.
Two hours later, she went to the loo, and that sour smell was back.
She hadn't trodden in it this time, but it was still a bit messy, so
.... well, after cleaning up after triplets, one cat's bum isn't that
bad.
How worried should I be? Should I watch her tomorrow and see if she
improves? Should I try to get an emergency appointment tomorrow?
Before, she had a lot of leeway because she was overweight. Now, she
doesn't have any spare padding for when things go wrong. Oh, and
she's still eating next to nothing.

-- worried Jo in Scotland
Old August 1st 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

Jo, we doctored a kitty for about 7 years with mighty high-powered medicine
and the vets had us offer ours a couple of teaspoons of buttermilk to keep
kitty's stomach settled. Of course, I have no idea if you have any, if
Sasha would care for it or if it would be a good thing. Yes, we are worried
about Sasha and yes you need an emergency appointment. Give her lots of
sweet talk and loving for all of us. Polly

Old August 1st 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Jo - I think you should take her to the vet - if for no other reason,
your peace of mind. She runs the risk of becoming dehydrated, and that's
not good for animals OR humans....... I hope it's just an upset tummy.

Patti in Seattle

Old August 1st 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Play safe - see a vet. Sasha could so easily dehydrate.

Hugs and kitty pats from OZ

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

[...]
:
:
:
:
: -- worried Jo in Scotland

Old August 1st 06, 10:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
M Rimmer

How worried should I be? Should I watch her tomorrow and see if she
improves? Should I try to get an emergency appointment tomorrow?
Before, she had a lot of leeway because she was overweight. Now, she
doesn't have any spare padding for when things go wrong. Oh, and
she's still eating next to nothing.

I'd be worried about Sasha. What am I saying? I AM worried about Sasha.
Poor thing, this isn't normal for her and since she's in poor health
anyway she could soon become dehydrated. I'm sure you will take her to
see the vet unless it clears up by itself very soon, the very fact that
you have posted this message shows you are already worried. Give her a
gentle hug from me and the kids and let us know how she gets on.
--
Mel Rimmer
www.bean-sprouts.blogspot.com

Old August 1st 06, 10:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Lancaster

How worried should I be? Should I watch her tomorrow and see if she
improves? Should I try to get an emergency appointment tomorrow?
Before, she had a lot of leeway because she was overweight. Now, she
doesn't have any spare padding for when things go wrong. Oh, and
she's still eating next to nothing.

As your cat has some other issues, I'd call and talk to the vet on the phone.
Otherwise, I'd do what I always do for diarrheic cats: 24 hours with nothing
but water, and then start refeeding with small amounts of boiled white
rice and hamburger or chicken.

All the best,

Kay

Old August 1st 06, 10:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita in MA

Jo, yes, you should get Sasha to a vet. This is not normal and since
she has had recent health problems, it needs attention. Please give her
a hug for me. I'm worried about her.

Rita L. (very much a cat person)

Old August 1st 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Johanna Gibson

Sasha was given an antibiotic, just in case she has some sort of
bug, and also something for upset stomach. The vet told me there is
no sign of kidney or liver enlargement, or any sign that she's having
trouble breathing (she has a bit of fluid in her lungs still, but it
isn't giving her any trouble, so we're leaving it for now). We're to
see the vet on Monday.
Whatever they injected her with must have done the trick. She
wanted fish and a few kibbles when I got back from Keiko's this
evening. She hasn't asked for food in a long time. Sasha ignored the
fiber stuff the vet wanted her to eat, of course, but looked sad until
I got the fish out. Spoilt cat.
Thanks for all your advice! Sometimes I don't know what I would do
without this group. I'm so glad there are so many cat-lovers out
there in RCTQland. Maybe I can get some sleep tonight!

-- Jo (relieved) in Scotland
Old August 1st 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

Thank you for reporting back, Jo. We wanted to hear that our Sasha was okay
and so glad she's even requesting a menu suitable to her taste. Polly

Old August 2nd 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maria in NC

I am so glad to hear that she is doing better. Give her a hug from Miss
Kitty.

Hugs to you too,

Maria

--

Maria Cherry
remove the penguins

*****
"In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats."
(English Proverb)