This is Impossible

Old July 31st 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

Default This is Impossible

Forget it. If you imagine you can use up scraps, it can *not* be done. I
wanted to make a biscuits quilt for a preemie / shelter baby. I thought the
biscuits would make a special soft place for the little guy. Instead of
cutting into big yardage, I imagined using all the bit and pieces in the
blue bin would work nicely and diminish the heap. Wrong. I cut 376 squares
before I decided that should be enough. It was. The quilt is just
Gorgeous.
DH loves it and wants one of his own. It aint going to happen.
Biscuit quilts, as wonderful as they are, are an exercise in tedium - just
on and on. ( and on.) And, while my back was turned to stuff all the
little biscuits - the stash of blue scraps just kept on growing. I declare
there's more in there than when I started. While I was clipping the stray
threads here and there, I noticed some bearding going on. Is there a better
quality stuffing available than what's at WallyWorld? Polly

Old July 31st 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Scraps do multiply that is for sure. I made a biscuit pillow top a
zillion years ago and that was enough! They are a lot of work.
Is the Walmart stuff Polyfil? (I guess as Polly you would remember?)
Seems I have seen some that is supposed to be softer. Maybe at Joann's?
I want to say that started with an 'S' but I just can't remember.
I guess I am not much help but the babes are lucky little things : )

My scrap story this month is about denim and jeans. I have found a lot
(4 or 5 boxes) while cleaning the garage. I cut a mess sorted a mess
and just generally moved them around a lot. When dd moved out she
unearthed 10 more pair on old jeans in her closet. She is really
lucky I love her ; ) Too bad she already has her own jeans throw quilt
in her car.
Taria

Old July 31st 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

I had forgotten about the bearding. Well, actually, I hadn't even thought
about it. I see batting descriptions that say they don't beard but since my
favorite doesn't beard, that was the end of that. But - I can see fine
little hairy fiber things poking out from the biscuits.
As to the denim/jeans stash, it's worth saving. All of our
grandchildren have denim quilts. They are used and loved, have been on lots
of trips, survived all sorts of adventures, new puppies and really scary
movies. If there were another denim quilt in my future, I would invest in
some of those spring-loaded gentle scissors made for that kind of project.
You would want to still have hands when you got them done. Polly

Old July 31st 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

I beg to differ.. once I almost finished my yellow scrap stash - I would
have finished if I hadn't had something else come up it would have stayed
that way if I didn't have this tendency to make quilts with yellow in them-
my scrap stash needs another attack on it to reduce it a bit - a gazillion
monotone 9 patches and some monotone logcabins will do the trick nicely ;-)
now to find the time...

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old July 31st 06, 12:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Oh no! Your blue bin has developed a small black hole. Doesn't matter how
many scraps you remove from around the event horizon, the Hole will suck in
more, possibly from another galaxy. Better send the whole thing to me, and I
will deal with it.
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

k.net...

Old July 31st 06, 01:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

There's a good picture of a biscuit quilt at fabricattic.com - click on the
Easy Biscuit Quilting book (but you don't really need a book for this one).
Marsha's instructions over at quilterscache seem a little more painstaking
than necessary. There's really no need to actually pin in an inverted
pleat - a little tuck works just fine. Polly

"Estelle Gallagher" wrote

Old July 31st 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

Maybe the only solution is to box them up and ship to Roberta. Kind of
sounds like cheating though, don't you think? Polly
"Jessamy" wrote I beg to differ.. once I almost finished my yellow scrap
stash - I would
have finished if I hadn't had something else come up it would have stayed
that way if I didn't have this tendency to make quilts with yellow in
them-
my scrap stash needs another attack on it to reduce it a bit - a gazillion
monotone 9 patches and some monotone logcabins will do the trick nicely
;-)
now to find the time...

Old July 31st 06, 01:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

I used a method of arranging that I'd seen on Simply Quilts. The only rule
was that no biscuit was stitched to one just like it. Other than that,
whatever I drew from the biscuit heap was the next one to be stitched in.
Since I'm such an organized sort of person, it was a strange procedure to me
but it works just great. Ah yes. Scrappy is good. Polly

Old July 31st 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

well it depends.. I see it as my personal challenge to use up scraps from
quilts I make - if I do this straightaway as I make the top then I usually
am ok and end up with no scraps - if I delay then well.. that's when the
scrap pixies jump in and help the scrap stash grow.

but then there is the idea that it's nice to have scraps to make HUG blocks
from .. a dilemma indeed!