What use is a wall hanging?

Old January 17th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What use is a wall hanging?

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
This is not to say some wall hangings and table runners are not nice -
most are very nice indeed. Just not for me to make. (But I reserve the
right to change my mind any time!)

Hmmm.... Do I detect a subtle beg here? *snicker*

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old January 17th 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Tina wrote:

I haven't made one yet, personally - but I kind of feel the same way.
I see the pros:

Small, quick, easy to manage in the machine, good beginner practice for
me, not overwhelming like a full sized quilt, good way to experiment
with new techniques

I see that, but...

But I just can't see myself hanging quilts on the wall. I guess if
they were the art quilt kind like many I saw at IQF. Several of those
I couldn't possibly imagine cuddling up with on the couch with my QI's.
Not just because they were so detailed and pretty, but also because
they used things on them that would be itchy and scratchy to me, lace,
tulle, netting, etc.

That's how I feel!

Now I do understand, my mom wants me to put a hanging sleeve on her
photo memory quilt because using it, also meant needing to wash it
which damaged some of the pictures and she doesn't want it damaged
further. (But I told her to use it, get it dirty, wash it, etc. and if
the pictures were damaged, we had them in the computer and could just
make another one - but since this was my first quilt, she doesn't want
it used and ruined so wants to hang it instead.) Oh well.

That's mums for you!

Table runners - pretty, if you have a really big table and are into
that sort of thing. Personally, I'm not and with my kids and all the
ways my dining table gets used - I too would probably cry or scream the
first time something got on it.

My table is quite narrow, and I like to cover it in dishes of food!
And bottles of wine, and plates and cutlery and glasses, and conversation!

Nope, I just don't see me doing too much in the way of wallhangings, at
least not until I get really, really experienced and start trying my
hand at some of those art or landscape type quilts. Other than that -
for me, the joy of a quilt is being able to touch it, hold it, fondle
it, cuddle up in it with my kids, my hubby or my QI's!

You're being me, you are!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old January 17th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

This is not to say some wall hangings and table runners are not nice -
most are very nice indeed. Just not for me to make. (But I reserve the
right to change my mind any time!)

Hmmm.... Do I detect a subtle beg here? *snicker*

No... I have a large bag of scraps, and a wall hanging or table runner
were suggested. But I'm more likely to rip or cut them into strips,
join them together, and make those lovely coiled bowls out of them! Or
make a series of 12" crazy blocks and turn them into a bigger quilt...
or make a slip-cover for the serger, a bigger tea-cosy for my big
teapot, or something else crazy-quilted!

Old January 17th 06, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hm... I'd display a bed quilt by putting it on the bed. Don't have
any
walls big enough for a quilt!

This is the other problem I see with hanging quilts on the walls of my
house. My house is rather small and a quilt, unless it were a really
small WH, would make the room seem even smaller and more claustrophobic
to me.

Other WH issue I have...... hubby is a photgrapher! When I finish
repainting in the new house and we get moved in, I have a gazillion
beautiful photgraphs he has taken of family, our house in the Hill
Country, landscapes around Texas, etc.

Now he and I have discussed, that once I get a quilt made for everyone
I want to make a quilt for, and one for every bed in our house - he and
I may work together to make some wall hanging/landscape quilts from his
photographs!

Hugs and thanks for the topic!
Tina

Old January 17th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I've done "several" wall hangings.
My first was a photo wall hanging for my new sewing room (functional for
memories)~!
Here it is:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...45570280DSxSwW
One was the US map for my grandson (functional for education)~!
Here it is:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...45568741Dpevhl
I also made probably a half a dozen mini 12" wall hangings for Christmas
gifts
and they LOVED them (functional for happiness)~! )
Here are two:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...45572668PEuGky
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...45572396UBZUWi
Susie
northern NY

........... But quilted walls? Um, no, on the whole! I'd rather cover the
walls
with books! ........... So what do YOU like to make, and why? Just
curious...

Old January 17th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I like to make almost anything, from queen size quilts to mug rugs. I've
done it all and enjoyed it all. Wall hangings are nice to practice a new
techique - that way if you screw it up it's not that bad a hit on your
purse. If you like the results you can do it again on a larger project. I
do seem to make lap quilts or baby quilts the most though.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old January 17th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Just had a thought Tina: if the rest of your Mum's memory quilt is
fine, how about printing off the pictures in the computer onto Printed
Treasures (what most people seem to recommend for last quilt pictures),
cut them to match the existing places they are used + seam allowance.
Turn seam allowance under and appliqué them on top? You could machine
satin stitch or zig zag stitch for sturdiness and speed, if you wanted
to?
It might make your Mum feel better about it too, if she saw it wasn't a
huge tragedy.

In message .com, Tina
writes
Now I do understand, my mom wants me to put a hanging sleeve on her
photo memory quilt because using it, also meant needing to wash it
which damaged some of the pictures and she doesn't want it damaged
further. (But I told her to use it, get it dirty, wash it, etc. and if
the pictures were damaged, we had them in the computer and could just
make another one - but since this was my first quilt, she doesn't want
it used and ruined so wants to hang it instead.) Oh well.
Hugs,
Tina

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 17th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Saves on the heating bills. Not only do I get to bundle up under my lap
quilts, but my walls get to stay warm with the quilts made expecially
for them.

Debbi in SO CA

Kate Dicey wrote:
This is an anthill question - poke with a sharp stick and see what happens!

Now basic lap and bed quilts make sense: I get cold, I need covering up!
Shared with a cat is even better!

Cushion covers: yup, they make sense!

Throws for furnitu oh, yes! Saves having to make a fitted slip
cover! I'd much rather make quilts! And a nice quilt thrown over a
board on top of a stack of plastic crates makes a pretty side table!

But quilted walls? Um, no, on the whole! I'd rather cover the walls
with books! Table runners don't do much for me either. OK, they LOOK
pretty, but I like to see the wood on my antique dining table! And I
have nice wooden trivets that are easy to wash... This is not to say

Old January 17th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message

So what do YOU like to make, and why? Just curious...
--

Well, I like to make small things that I will actually finish! Miniatures,
little quilts. Not much use to them, but I get to try out a lot more new

I don't have the patience or the inclination to make a full size quilt. I
get too bored with a pattern or the colors or something. It could be
because I have so many quilts from the grandmas'. But I never felt the urge
to make anything bigger than a baby quilt.

Cindy

Old January 17th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have a short attention span so I only make small quilts. I have yet
to make a bed-size one and I have been doing this since 1990. I mostly
make hug quilts and wall hangings. My kids said once that we live in a
"padded house". That is how I decorate and they are admired by all who
enter.