Your Favorite Block/Blocks?

Old July 22nd 05, 08:43 PM
Debra

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 22:48:37 -0500, (~Ann~) wrote:

I have not been quilting long but through these past couple years of
participating in many BOMs and such, I have come to realize that I am
attracted to certain blocks over the others, and the one that has held
my fondness is the Weathervane. For some reason, this is one that I
would like to repeat. I dont know why, I just like it. Do you have any
particular block (or blocks) which is a favorite?

Ann

For pieced blocks I like Sky Rocket, Churn Dash and Ohio Star. I
don't know why but I never tire of looking at them. I haven't made a
Sky Rocket yet so I don't know if I will like making them.
Debra in VA
Old July 22nd 05, 09:02 PM
Patti S

I love, love, love "Grandma's Fan", or it's sometimes called "Antique
Fan". It's so beautiful and feminine when done in pastels. I also love
"Ohio Star". I've done both of those blocks many times.......

Patti in Seattle

Old July 22nd 05, 09:09 PM
Patti

I wasn't familiar with this block at all, so I just looked it up. It's
charming.
I might try it sometime for a Hug block. I think it would look lovely,
and three-colour blocks are so useful. Thanks for mentioning it.
..
In message , ~Ann~
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 22nd 05, 09:11 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Just about any block(s) in a Finished quilt.
Ragmop/Sandy

Old July 23rd 05, 12:07 AM
Sandy Foster

In message , ~Ann~
writes
I have not been quilting long but through these past couple years of
participating in many BOMs and such, I have come to realize that I am
attracted to certain blocks over the others, and the one that has held
my fondness is the Weathervane. For some reason, this is one that I
would like to repeat. I dont know why, I just like it. Do you have any
particular block (or blocks) which is a favorite?

Ann

My all-time favorite block is the Lemoyne Star, which some of you may
have guessed by now. Close behind that are other patterns that
resemble it, such as the feathered star patterns based on a Lemoyne
Star. But I also love NYBeauty and Mariner's Compass and....

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old July 23rd 05, 12:29 AM
nzlstar*

why shucks girl!!
jeanne
oh block, sorry thot was blockhead, thuts me, uh yupperoosy
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"SNIGDIBBLY" wrote...
Any star block is my favorite - don't know why.

Old July 23rd 05, 12:31 AM
nzlstar*

sky rocket??
got a url for that one, i'm having a lazy saturday morning here.
jeanne
--

~Ann~ wrote:
I have not been quilting long but through these past couple years of
participating in many BOMs and such, I have come to realize that I am
attracted to certain blocks over the others, and the one that has held
my fondness is the Weathervane. For some reason, this is one that I
would like to repeat. I dont know why, I just like it. Do you have any
particular block (or blocks) which is a favorite?

"Debra" wrote...

Old July 23rd 05, 12:39 AM
WhansaMi

"Allyson Brown" wrote in message
for some reason, I too lean towards star blocks very frequently. in fact i
have twenty different 12" star blocks waiting to be sashed and bordered

into
a star sampler.
i have to say that i love almost any log cabin i ever see done by anyone.
always warm and cozy. makes me want to go start one.
love your weathervane.....may take your suggestion and do some of those!!
and I love, though haven't done any of the other folks' idea of
Kaleidoscope. love the possibilities. have a bunch of hand-dyeds that may
work beautifully w/ that block.
hhhhmmmmm, thanks for getting me thinking.
allyson

Allyson, in order to do kaleidoscopes (at least the way I learned them!) you
need to have a repeating pattern in the fabric, so hand-dyed can't really be
used. Just thought I'd mention it. :-)

Sheila

Old July 23rd 05, 12:54 AM
Julia Altshuler

~Ann~ wrote:
I have not been quilting long but through these past couple years of
participating in many BOMs and such, I have come to realize that I am
attracted to certain blocks over the others, and the one that has held
my fondness is the Weathervane. For some reason, this is one that I
would like to repeat. I dont know why, I just like it. Do you have any
particular block (or blocks) which is a favorite?

On page 77 of Jinny Beyer's _The Quilter's Album of Blocks & Borders_,
there's a block called "Best of All." To my mind, the name says it all.
It is only moderately complicated to make but has a lot going on in
it. There's something about the way the you get illusions of squares
behind squares that I love. I don't usually end up making it as
repeated blocks separated by sashing. Instead, I use one giant block as
the basis for the whole quilt.

--Lia

Old July 23rd 05, 01:18 AM
nzlstar*

got a pix of it?
sounds intriguing.
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar

"Julia Altshuler" wrote...
On page 77 of Jinny Beyer's _The Quilter's Album of Blocks & Borders_,
there's a block called "Best of All." To my mind, the name says it all.
It is only moderately complicated to make but has a lot going on in it.
There's something about the way the you get illusions of squares behind
squares that I love. I don't usually end up making it as repeated blocks
separated by sashing. Instead, I use one giant block as the basis for the
whole quilt.

Favorite blocks? Johanna Gibson Quilting 15 December 23rd 04 01:56 PM
How about we share our favorite stamping/recycling techniques? Jolly Green Stamper Rubberstamps 16 October 15th 04 12:11 PM
Favorite Knitting Books?? DVR Yarn 12 June 28th 04 12:40 AM
OT Diaries!! Gillian Murray Needlework 2 December 24th 03 05:37 PM