Question about mixing dye lots

Old February 2nd 04, 11:55 PM
Slinky

Sure, work alternate rounds each in a diff dyelot, or alternate
working two rows flat (knit and back) in different dyelots.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 18:02:39 -0600, "Karen in MN"
wrote:

I have a question about the best way to use up yarns from different dye lots
without making it too noticeable.

Back when I was more of a newbie at buying yarns, I bought a number of
skeins of yarn in an ecru color -- then I realized the pattern I was going
to use called for more, and I ordered a half dozen more, but from a
different on-line store where the price was better. It never would have
occurred to me that two different batches of ecru would be different (I know
better now).

So now I have eight skeins in a lighter color, and four in a slighter darker
color, and if I do something like use the darker ones for the sleeves, I
think it will be noticeable. Am I just stuck with this situation, or is
there some creative way of dealing with this that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks

Karen in MN

Old February 3rd 04, 12:25 AM
Lucille

Slinky,
That's exactly what I was going to say but you got there first so you win
the prize !!! Actually I've done that and it works out well.
Lucille

Old February 3rd 04, 01:22 AM
Sonya Cirillo

Well since it's something with sleeves. . . .You've got the answer with
the traditional way to handle the problem. . . another thing is to use
the subtle difference in color to make a subtle pattern

It depends on how much extra you have - you can do stripes, or some
other type of color work - mosaic comes to mind - many people will never
see it - but those who do will be trying to figure out how you did it

Or like you said - do the ribbings and sleeves in one of the 'shades' or
have cables too (along with the ribbbing). . .

Tired yet?

Sonya

Old February 3rd 04, 01:55 AM
Karen in MN

Hmmm . . . neat idea, I never would have thought of this! Thanks! If I
understand this right, it would be sort of like when doing horizontal
stripes, except that I'm alternating between the two dye lots?

Old February 3rd 04, 01:57 AM
Karen in MN

Wow -- I suddenly feel like I have a design opportunity instead of a
problem! I love the idea of mosaic or a subtle pattern that will look like
it's deliberate and not just fixing a "situation". Thanks!!

Old February 3rd 04, 02:17 AM
Katherine

Slinky wrote:
Sure, work alternate rounds each in a diff dyelot, or alternate
working two rows flat (knit and back) in different dyelots.

I've done that, too, and it works just fine.
Katherine

Old February 3rd 04, 04:12 AM
Slinky

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:55:36 -0600, "Karen in MN"
wrote:

Hmmm . . . neat idea, I never would have thought of this! Thanks! If I
understand this right, it would be sort of like when doing horizontal
stripes, except that I'm alternating between the two dye lots?

Exactly. If you do it in the round be sure to twist the strands at
the change so it doesn't gap. Sort of like intarsia...