Retirement - not really OT

Old July 31st 03, 02:46 PM
Patti

I absolutely agree with this! I started doing it about two years after
I retired - left it a bit late g
In fact, just last evening, I also decided that I wouldn't make a to-do
about telling people why I wasn't at home when they called; or why I
didn't pick up the phone if I was here. I think the telephone is too
demanding a master, and I am not going to be its slave anymore. If I've
been busy all day, then sit down at nine o'clock to watch a favourite TV
programme, and the phone rings at ten past, I am no longer going to
feel guilty if I don't jump up and answer it. Is this a step towards
liberation? LOL.
(I am not by nature a rebel, so I don't recognise the signs !!!!)
..
In article , Roberta Zollner
writes
Or if you're a polite person, "No, but thank you for thinking of me" with a
big sweet smile. I agree, giving excuses just encourages people to try to
solve your scheduling problem so you can do what THEY want!
Roberta in D

"taria" wrote in message
Now Polly you don't have to defend yourself. If you are doing
that folks are taking advantage of you. Just say NO!
Taria

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 31st 03, 02:56 PM
nana2b

The best question I get about being retired at 48 was, "Aren;t you bored?"
My answer,"I am so busy I do not have time to be bored". My to-do list is
longer than ever and most of the entries are things I want todo for ME now.
I am enjoying my quilting and embroidering and even have some paying
projects.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old July 31st 03, 04:07 PM
Butterfly

DD would do this...say I'm booked until--"March 5 2 PM"--I SCHEDULED her
in that day on the calendar--reminded her the night before--and she was
HOME at the appointed time--we went out, had a very nice time : )
Now with this 'uggie-wuggie' she said she would take me to all the
appts--EXCEPT for her previously scheduled days (mainly Tuesdays). Fair
enuf for me
Butterfly (DH will do those)

Polly Esther wrote:
Be prepared to defend yourself. Lots of folks will decide to volunteer you
to do all kinds of things that you may or not want to do. Keep a list of
reasons "why not" on the tip of your tongue at all times. A dear friend of
mine uses the line, "Sorry, I'm booked all the way through March". She
doesn't say booked for what, could be naps or watching paint dry. I'm not
saying there won't be things you want to volunteer to do, just let it be
your choice. Happy Retirement, Polly

Old July 31st 03, 08:33 PM
Patti

Not sure we have anything quite like this; but I will check it out.
Thanks for mentioning it.

In article , Butterfly
writes
We have Caller ID...nice : )Not only do I not worry about missed
calls---I also KNOW who called (I pick and chose whom I want to answer)
....and if it comes across as "Unavailable" they can just call back later
Butterfly (It is worth the extra $$ per month to me )

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill