Question about flannel quilts.

Old July 26th 03, 04:28 PM
Donna in Idaho

If you're getting fuzzies in your mat from the rotary cutter, you need a new
blade.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message
I haven't found that W&N ruins the blade. It ruins the mat, sort of. The
fibers get caught in the grooves of the mat which turns it fuzzy and hard

clean or use again since the fuzzies get all over anything else I mean to

cut
and the fabric no longer lies flat against the mat. I use an older,

smaller mat
for batting and for taking to classes and save the nice new big one for
everything else.

--Lia

Dannielle Beitzell wrote:

Here's another question....

If I want to make these with the flannel and Warm and Natural

batting...can
I use my rotary cutter on the batting too? Or will that ruin my blade

for
other fabrics?

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

Old July 26th 03, 05:54 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Leave it to John Flynn! Next year, he's going to invent the wheel.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

"Glenn/Patty" wrote in message
I've never worked with flannel myself but was doing some surfing and came
across this info for a WeedWhacker Rag quilt on John Flynn's site, he uses
pre quilted fabrics. Has anybody tried this? Sounds a little scary.
http://www.flynnquilt.com/freepattern.html

Patty in NWO
You are thinking about one like the raggy Quilt at www.quilterscache.com

See I can read your mind!!! and me all the way 'down under' too.

Dee in Oz

"Dannielle Beitzell" wrote
Isn't it flannel that those quilts with their seams turned inside out

are
made out of for the extra fray effect? You know the ones I

mean...come
on
read my mind and tell me what I am thinking! ;-)

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
We've had lots of discussions about flannel, so try a search.
Basically, you need to wash it a couple of times (it shrinks a lot).

Use
it
like any other cotton, but avoid any intricate piecing. It tends to

ravel
more, so the less you have to handle it the better. Some people use

wider
seams too.

You might not need any batting, especially if the backing is also

flannel.
Since flannel has a more "country" appearance, it often does well as

tied
quilt.
Roberta in D

"zo" wrote in message
I've seen a lot of flannel in the stores lately, but I'm not sure

what
to do with it. Do you treat it just like a regular cotten and

piece
it for a quilt? Do you use the same batting, binding, etc?

zo

Old July 26th 03, 06:36 PM
Patti

Hullo Lia
Try cleaning the fuzzies out of your mat with the polystyrene packing
things that Jennifer told us about the other day.
I had a go on mine, but when I looked at the mat, there was nothing
really on it to clean!! - so, no test g
..
In article , Julia Altshuler
writes
I haven't found that W&N ruins the blade. It ruins the mat, sort of. The
fibers get caught in the grooves of the mat which turns it fuzzy and hard to
clean or use again since the fuzzies get all over anything else I mean to cut
and the fabric no longer lies flat against the mat. I use an older,
smaller mat
for batting and for taking to classes and save the nice new big one for
everything else.

--Lia

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 26th 03, 07:39 PM
Carl Ebert

On 7/26/03 5:40 AM, in article ,
"Dannielle Beitzell" wrote:

Here's another question....

If I want to make these with the flannel and Warm and Natural batting...can
I use my rotary cutter on the batting too? Or will that ruin my blade for
other fabrics?

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

"MB" wrote in message

Has anyone made a raggy quilt using plain cotton fabrics and not

flannel?
Would love your feedback.

A friend has been wanting to make a rag quilt using flannels....but went
to the quilt store in town--which she had never ventured into before as

she
is a non-quilter---and was told by the manager that they can be made
using the quilting cottons. I guess you would probably do it the same
way...
use non-washed fabrics?...I'd think that you would have to use batting
then?....If so, I think
that would be one more unnecessary step. I've made the flannel raggies
w and w/o batting and thought they were fine w/o batt.

Mary

I just bought a pattern for a rag quilt made with flannel and it doesn't say
anything about batting. I think the flannel will be heavy and warm enough
because you also use flannel as the backing.

Carl
------------
Thou shalt use thine scraps to make quilts for charity, so that those less
fortunate may know they joy of sleeping beneath a quilt.

Old July 28th 03, 01:14 AM
MB

Thanks Bonnie and Curly for replying!!....Mary

"Curly" wrote in message
I have made a lap quilt using the raggy method in cottons.
I call it 'Look on the bright side' as one side is very bright using
alternate 4patch and bright squares; the other side country with calico

and
browns. You can only plan one side so the other is a surprise and you

don't
see it til all is sewn. The hardest part was getting over the blister on

my
cutting hand from all the snipping.
Curly

Old July 28th 03, 05:08 PM
Leafyeb

I have used flanner a few times and have found that it does fray a
lot. I made a kitty bed out of flannel with 1/4" seam allowance and
after 2 washings seams were coming undone because of fraying, so on
the quilt I used 1/2" seam allowances. Also wash the fabric before
you use it.

leafyeb

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 22:52:36 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

We've had lots of discussions about flannel, so try a search.
Basically, you need to wash it a couple of times (it shrinks a lot). Use it
like any other cotton, but avoid any intricate piecing. It tends to ravel
more, so the less you have to handle it the better. Some people use wider
seams too.

You might not need any batting, especially if the backing is also flannel.
Since flannel has a more "country" appearance, it often does well as a tied
quilt.
Roberta in D

.. .

Old July 29th 03, 01:29 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

If I recall correctly, Jennifer had only ONE of those peanuts--
and she used it on her cutting mat after she had shined up her kitchen
sink with it.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp
"Patti" wrote in message
Hullo Leafye
Yes, this is Jennifer's brilliant discovery. If your is fuzzy you will
be able to give them a real workout!! Let us all know how you get on?

.In article , Leafyeb
writes
Guess I need a new blade. I have fuzzy lines all over my mat. I
was just going to ask how to clean it. what are the polystyrene
packing things? Are they the packing peanuts that get all over the
house when a box is opened? Just rub them on the mat?

Leafyeb

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old July 29th 03, 02:31 AM
Jennifer Hepworth

No, actually, she used an old one that fell out of the bottom of a
planter into the kitchen sink to shine it up - then she took a couple
more into the sewing room and just for the heck of it she rubbed the mat
with them - lo and behold the mat was much improved and I do suggest
using a circular motion.
Latest tip for their use: squeaky cleaned an old rotary blade - NOT
the blade edge!
Jennifer in Ottawa
-------
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Mon, Jul 28, 2003, 5:29pm
(EDT-3) From: (Ruth=A0in=A0Happy=A0Camp)

Old July 30th 03, 09:15 PM
Jennifer Hepworth

That's just exactly what Polly said - wonder what she ordered?
Jennifer in Ottawa
--------
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Wed, Jul 30, 2003, 5:29pm
(EDT+4) From: (Leafyeb)
hmmm...there are a lot more uses for those things than just kitty toys
(supervised). Now I just need something sent to me...
leafyeb
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:31:08 -0400 (EDT),

(Jennifer Hepworth) wrote:
=A0=A0No, actually, she used an old one that fell out of the bottom of a
planter into the kitchen sink to shine it up - then she took a couple
more into the sewing room and just for the heck of it she rubbed the mat
with them - lo and behold the mat was much improved and I do suggest
using a circular motion.
Latest tip for their use: squeaky cleaned an old rotary blade - NOT the
blade edge!
Jennifer in Ottawa
-------
Group: rec.crafts.textiles.quilting Date: Mon, Jul 28, 2003, 5:29pm
(EDT-3) From:
(Ruth=3DA0in=3DA0Happy=3DA0Camp) If I recal=
"Patti" wrote in message
... Hullo Leafye
Yes, this is Jennifer's brilliant discovery. If your is fuzzy you will
be able to give them a real workout!! Let us all know how you get on? In
article , Leafyeb
writes
Guess I need a new blade. I have fuzzy lines all over my mat. I was
just going to ask how to clean it. what are the polystyrene packing
things? Are they the packing peanuts that get all over the house when a
box is opened? Just rub them on the mat?
Leafyeb
--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Two NY Quilt Exhibits - Talking Quilts, Threads of Faith Kyrae Needlework 0 March 20th 04 03:42 PM
Flannel advice please? Loren in Seattle Quilting 3 July 22nd 03 06:44 AM
quilty question CNYstitcher Quilting 0 July 20th 03 10:04 PM
Quilts, Quilt Books, Chocolate Pat in Virginia Quilting 4 July 15th 03 03:18 AM
quilts, quilt books, chocolate Pat in Virginia Quilting 0 July 10th 03 11:39 PM