Question about flannel quilts.

Old July 25th 03, 04:42 PM
zo

Default Question about flannel quilts.

I've seen a lot of flannel in the stores lately, but I'm not sure what
to do with it. Do you treat it just like a regular cotten and piece
it for a quilt? Do you use the same batting, binding, etc?

zo
Old July 25th 03, 06:24 PM
Patti

Hullo Zo
You can certainly piece it and make patterns as you do the ordinary
cotton; *BUT* it does shrink a lot. It is absolutely necessary to
wash it first. It doesn't just cause the old-fashioned crinkly look if
you don't, it would be ruined. Some folk wash it twice, and in warm or
hot water. You have got to get it to a stage where it can be washed
once the quilt is finished. Also, it frays a lot so it is advisable to
use a wider seam allowance. With these constraints, you might be better
off with a simple rather than a complex pattern. It also has a rather
different 'feel' - lovely, but different.
You would probably want to use a thin batting, because flannel is
warmer. And you might also want to use a flannel backing and binding.
But I'm sure there are no rules.
Hope this helps. Others who have worked more with it will know more
than I. I only have general knowledge, and have used it as a backing.
..
In article , zo
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 25th 03, 09:52 PM
Roberta Zollner

We've had lots of discussions about flannel, so try a search.
Basically, you need to wash it a couple of times (it shrinks a lot). Use it
like any other cotton, but avoid any intricate piecing. It tends to ravel
more, so the less you have to handle it the better. Some people use wider
seams too.

You might not need any batting, especially if the backing is also flannel.
Since flannel has a more "country" appearance, it often does well as a tied
quilt.
Roberta in D

Old July 26th 03, 03:32 AM
Carl Ebert

On 7/25/03 5:45 PM, in article , "Dannielle
Beitzell" wrote:

Isn't it flannel that those quilts with their seams turned inside out are
made out of for the extra fray effect? You know the ones I mean...come on
read my mind and tell me what I am thinking! ;-)

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

"zo" wrote in message
I've seen a lot of flannel in the stores lately, but I'm not sure what
to do with it. Do you treat it just like a regular cotten and piece
it for a quilt? Do you use the same batting, binding, etc?

zo

Rag type quilts are made from flannel, jeans and cotton. They get that
"country" appearance because you clip the seams before you wash it.
Carl

------------
Thou shalt use thine scraps to make quilts for charity, so that those less
fortunate may know they joy of sleeping beneath a quilt.

Old July 26th 03, 05:15 AM
D&D

Old July 26th 03, 05:24 AM
Shawn

"zo" wrote in message
I've seen a lot of flannel in the stores lately, but I'm not sure what
to do with it. Do you treat it just like a regular cotten and piece
it for a quilt? Do you use the same batting, binding, etc?

zo

The first quilt I made was of flannel and I really liked it as it was a
breeze to work with. I was lucky I guess - I didn't wash it but it only
shrank just enough to give the crinkled look. I used Warm n Natural
batting, flannel for the backing and bound it the same way I've done my
other quilts. There are a lot of flannels out now for almost any quilt you
might want to do - baby quilts or grandfather quilts :-)

Shawn

--
mslibra
www.cutcakes.ca

Old July 26th 03, 12:42 PM
Dannielle Beitzell

Raggy....that's the word I was looking for! Thanks guys!!!!

Old July 26th 03, 01:58 PM
Julia Altshuler

I haven't found that W&N ruins the blade. It ruins the mat, sort of. The
fibers get caught in the grooves of the mat which turns it fuzzy and hard to
clean or use again since the fuzzies get all over anything else I mean to cut
and the fabric no longer lies flat against the mat. I use an older, smaller mat
for batting and for taking to classes and save the nice new big one for
everything else.

--Lia

Dannielle Beitzell wrote:

Here's another question....

If I want to make these with the flannel and Warm and Natural batting...can
I use my rotary cutter on the batting too? Or will that ruin my blade for
other fabrics?

Old July 26th 03, 02:41 PM
Glenn/Patty

I've never worked with flannel myself but was doing some surfing and came
across this info for a WeedWhacker Rag quilt on John Flynn's site, he uses
pre quilted fabrics. Has anybody tried this? Sounds a little scary.
http://www.flynnquilt.com/freepattern.html

Patty in NWO

Old July 26th 03, 03:11 PM
Roberta Zollner

Might be worth a try, don't know of anyone who has tried! Seems like the
medium-weight cottons wouldn't have enough mass to produce successful
raggies. They'd just ravel down to stubs and look wrong side out instead of
raggy. Unless you did it like chenille and sewed several layers of squares
cut on the bias. IMO, a bit too much trouble and expense to produce
something that works better with other fabric! (Especially at the price of
fabric here.)
Roberta in D

"MB" wrote in message

Has anyone made a raggy quilt using plain cotton fabrics and not

flannel?
Would love your feedback.

A friend has been wanting to make a rag quilt using flannels....but went
to the quilt store in town--which she had never ventured into before as

she
is a non-quilter---and was told by the manager that they can be made
using the quilting cottons. I guess you would probably do it the same
way...
use non-washed fabrics?...I'd think that you would have to use batting
then?....If so, I think
that would be one more unnecessary step. I've made the flannel raggies
w and w/o batting and thought they were fine w/o batt.

Mary

Two NY Quilt Exhibits - Talking Quilts, Threads of Faith Kyrae Needlework 0 March 20th 04 03:42 PM
Flannel advice please? Loren in Seattle Quilting 3 July 22nd 03 06:44 AM
quilty question CNYstitcher Quilting 0 July 20th 03 10:04 PM
Quilts, Quilt Books, Chocolate Pat in Virginia Quilting 4 July 15th 03 03:18 AM
quilts, quilt books, chocolate Pat in Virginia Quilting 0 July 10th 03 11:39 PM