Look Ma! No hands

Old January 11th 08, 01:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

Default OT nails was Look Ma! No hands

And when I worked in a grocery store and was stocking after we closed up,
one of the guys had someone shake the display rack while another one sent
the new guy (not me) running to the supervisor to get the "hydrolic shelf
stabilizer".

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"John" wrote in message
On Jan 11, 1:43 am, Debra wrote:
On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 18:12:26 -0800 (PST), John

wrote:
Jobsite humor is notorious for it's merciless nature. That is a good
one.

John

Yes, I know. I've worked several male oriented jobs, and I love to
see the pranks. I especially enjoy the ones that involve sending a
newbie hunting for an unreal tool or part: meat dept. showcase
stretcher, new bubble for the level "because this one's bubble is
always at one end and just won't go in the center", stuff live that.
Debra in VA
See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

I will now tell a tale on myself. On my first day on the job, at 16 as
a very green Carpenters Apprentice, with a freshly minted union card,
I spent the day being sent from one end of the job-site to the other
asking one carpenter or forman or another for the timber stretcher.
After the second response that it had been given to the guy who was
now at the other end of the jobs-site, or up three floors, I realized
the joke but continued to play along until the superintendent realized
that he was paying me to walk around the site and not carry lumber as
was usual for the beginning job description. Now, I ask you, who was
the joke on. I didn't carry any lumber at all that day, but I did get
to meet some of the many guys on the job and provide them with a good
laugh. I of course did the same thing, to new guys later on in my life
when I had he chance. All good fun.

John

Old January 11th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

wrote:

Jobsite humor is notorious for it's merciless nature. That is a good
one.

John

Yes, I know. I've worked several male oriented jobs, and I love to
see the pranks. I especially enjoy the ones that involve sending a
newbie hunting for an unreal tool or part: meat dept. showcase
stretcher, new bubble for the level "because this one's bubble is
always at one end and just won't go in the center", stuff live that.

I have always been fond the the left handed hammer.
An oldie but a goodie.

Honest to gosh some of the newbies coming in when I was getting ready
to move on from construction and woodworking didn't seem to know a
hammer fom a bandsaw. Thus it was a moral imperative to send them
looking high and low for a right handed hammer (gosh darn it! those
guys on second shift never switch back! I always do for them! They
know I am right handed!), nut or fruit glue (you have to use special
food grade glue on fruit or nut tree woods doncha know, otherwise it
will spoil). Though my supervisor did smack me on top of the head for
sending a new and particularly ignorant fella searching high and low
for rice paper when we were doing a special run of bedroom furniture
in the rice pattern.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.
Old January 11th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

great stories!
i can remember my 1stXH telling me the one where the new auto mechanic
was always sent to get the fan-belt-adjuster-wrench, or the air-torque-
hammer.
it was always something non-existant.
of course...boys will be boys...LOL!

amy in....was raining cats and cows, now the sun is out.....CNY
Old January 11th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

Yes, I know. I've worked several male oriented jobs, and I love to
see the pranks. I especially enjoy the ones that involve sending a
newbie hunting for an unreal tool or part: meat dept. showcase
stretcher, new bubble for the level "because this one's bubble is
always at one end and just won't go in the center", stuff live that.

One day some apprentice is going to *invent* tartan paint when asked
to fetch it. That'll show 'em.

Old January 11th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 04:49:26 -0800 (PST), John
wrote:

[...]

You're never "one of the guys" until the hazing is done. It's a good
way to break the ice and teach a kid to think for himself rather than
believe everything he hears.

I worked in a truck shop once and the first day I had a mechanic try
to send me hunting for a double ended trouble light---long cord with a
light at each end. I didn't fall for that, but a week later I did go
looking in the parts room for a reverse threaded item. I've forgotten
what it was but of course it wasn't to be found in the parts room.
Unfortunately I didn't realize it didn't exist until I tried to order
one by phone and the parts sales person said "You want a what?". I
repeated my specific part order and the silence on the other end was
my clue. I had been had.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 13th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Debra wrote:
I worked in a truck shop once and the first day I had a mechanic try
to send me hunting for a double ended trouble light---long cord with a
light at each end. I didn't fall for that, but a week later I did go
looking in the parts room for a reverse threaded item. I've forgotten
what it was but of course it wasn't to be found in the parts room.
Unfortunately I didn't realize it didn't exist until I tried to order
one by phone and the parts sales person said "You want a what?". I
repeated my specific part order and the silence on the other end was
my clue. I had been had.

You should have gone shopping he
http://www.david.zen.co.uk/toolstore/

Lizzy
Old January 13th 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 00:05:40 +0000, Lizzy Taylor
wrote:

You should have gone shopping he
http://www.david.zen.co.uk/toolstore/

Nice!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 16th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Lizzy Taylor" wrote in message

You should have gone shopping he
http://www.david.zen.co.uk/toolstore/

Lizzy

Thanks for the link! My DH was PIHP over the multi-tool (and really, really
wishes he could have it.)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

hands michele Glass 9 November 15th 07 08:39 PM
knitting with both hands Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 6 January 24th 07 05:51 AM
sore hands Emma's Mom Yarn 8 October 2nd 06 06:09 PM
Sculpting Hands Kim Polymer Clay 3 February 3rd 06 07:40 PM
OT Whose hands are these? Marisa Cappetta Beads 27 June 7th 04 12:38 PM