Inklingo

Old July 25th 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default Inklingo

I got a post about this on another group and thought some of you might
also be interested.

Linda Franz (of quilted diamonds fame) has come out with a new product
called Inklingo. It is a CD with Adobe Reader pages of quilting
templates. You print the templates onto the wrong side of your fabric
with an inkjet printer. Saves tracing or other types of pattern
transfer.

There's a shape collection with shapes and sized for Grandmother's
Flower garden, Seven Sisters, Thousand pyramids, Baby blocks etc.
There's also a collection with basic shapes for piecing; triangles,
squares and rectangles.

An interesting idea but unfortunately only for PC people with Windows
2000 and Windows XP.

Here's the link to her site http://www.inklingo.com/inklingo.htm

marcella
Old July 25th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.

Default Shipshewana....

Where are you .... that you know Shipshewana... isn't it the best place to go for a quilting
retreat!

My guild goes there... and they went in April last spring -- but I couldn't go! I sure hope to next
year!

Kate in MI

"Pati Cook" wrote in message
nk.net...
A note about this:
Linda had been trying to make this also usable on Macs, but ran into serious problems and the
techs finally gave up on it. She delayed introducing this to the DJRetreats list for a few weeks
trying to get it resolved. She was not happy about it, but it would have been a lot of expense
she just didn't have to continue to work on it at this time.
But don't give up hope yet. G
I really want to get this program, and the reports on the list of those who have used it, both at
Shipshewana in April and who have gotten the first "book on CD" is great. People love it.
I might even do a "Grandmother's Flower Garden" quilt with this.

Pati, in Phx

Old July 25th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kiteflyer

I'm going up there this Monday with my wife to fabric shop at Lolly's!

Denny
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/kiteflyer54
Old July 26th 06, 06:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 07:58:54 -0700, Marcella Peek
wrote:

I got a post about this on another group and thought some of you might
also be interested.

Linda Franz (of quilted diamonds fame) has come out with a new product
called Inklingo. It is a CD with Adobe Reader pages of quilting
templates. You print the templates onto the wrong side of your fabric
with an inkjet printer. Saves tracing or other types of pattern
transfer.

There's a shape collection with shapes and sized for Grandmother's
Flower garden, Seven Sisters, Thousand pyramids, Baby blocks etc.
There's also a collection with basic shapes for piecing; triangles,
squares and rectangles.

An interesting idea but unfortunately only for PC people with Windows
2000 and Windows XP.

Here's the link to her site http://www.inklingo.com/inklingo.htm

marcella

In spite of the several pages of advertisement in Adobe Acrobat I just
don't think it's that great of an idea. If I have to draw and cut out
paper sized pieces of fabric from my fabric yardage for the printer,
prepare those pieces with a stabilizer, run the prepared fabric pieces
through the printer one at a time, and then cut out the printed block
pieces, it seems to me that I may as well just draw and cut out the
block pieces without using up my printer ink cartridge and without
added steps during the fabric cutting process.

It might be a neat program for someone who likes blocks with one and
two inch squares, diamonds, triangles, or hexagons, but I don't care
to use pieces that small because they are just too fiddly for me.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old July 26th 06, 07:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I wonder what the cost of cutting, treating and stabilising
all the fabric for printing would be? And what the wastage
factor would be working only from standard pieces of fabric
(A4 or Letter I assume)? And what about ink run on light
fabrics?

Hmmmm, maybe this is something for miniaturists rather than
"normal" to "large" scale quilters. I can see definite
benefits for applique, but don't think I would fancy
tackling a really large quilt this way (something like
"Little Brown Bird"). I have my own weird hybrid method for
applique that suits me better, but for small projects it
might be fun and could make things quicker and easier when -
for instance - travelling.

Maybe I am missing something. Given my penchant for trying
everything new I would probably give it a go, although at
first glance I have to say I am a bit dubious. However,
that has never stopped me in the past (LOL) , and
sometimes the unlikeliest sounding things turn out to be the
new "essentials". And I wish anyone trying to launch a new
idea the best of luck.

But I think I would see more point to printing the patterns
onto freezer paper and at least getting a reusable
"template". I have also tried printing miniature foundation
patterns onto fine fabric (so the foundation did not have to
be removed) and that worked fine.

Interesting though. I would like to know more (eg. can you
easily resize or are the files Adobe) and may look into it
later.

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _

:
: http://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

Old July 31st 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

LOL there is a big Dear Jane retreat in Shipsie twice a year. One of
these days I hope to get there.

Pati, in Phx

Old July 31st 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Remember, Linda is the author of Quilted Diamonds and Quilted Diamonds
2, small blocks with small pieces. G (4" x 7" diamonds)
There is no treating of the fabric to do. And you want the ink to
come out when you wash the finished project. It is not permanent.
There is a test run to determine which color ink will work best on any
particular fabric, and very little ink is used, just enough so that you
can see the lines.
For those that hand piece, this saves drawing a line to follow. It also
means that you don't have to do the fiddly basting to paper or form for
"English" style paper piecing. The seam line is there ready to go.
The pages are designed to either get the most pieces from one page or to
best utilize the space and still be able to use a rotary cutter.
Sizes are predetermined, but other sizes and shapes are in the works for
future release. Including some applique shapes. Linda is also planning
a book with projects and a DVD for using with the "Shape collections".

I don't have the stuff yet, but have read about it and gotten the info
from Linda's site and discussions on other groups. The people that
tried Inklingo at Shipsie convinced Linda to put out the first CD asap,
even without the project book.

Pati, in Phx

Old July 31st 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Hmmm - I think I will try it. Could you keep the ng posted
on Linda's progress if you hear more?

Thanks for the heads up

--

Cheryl & the Cats
_ _ _ _ _ _
Enness Boofhead Donut
Now in hibernation with a wake-up call for Spring!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

k.net...
:

Old August 3rd 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Sure, or you can go to her site and get on a e-list. She has a group and
a "special announcements" list.

Pati, in Phx

Old August 3rd 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

TVM

--

Cheryl & the Cats
Enness Boofhead Donut
Now in hibernation with a wake-up call for Spring!
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

ink.net...
: