OT front loading washers finale

Old August 1st 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nana2b

Default OT front loading washers finale

I wipe the rubber gasket down with a towel to dry out the water in the
channel. Then I leave it open for a couple of hours. I was told the musty
smell can happen because people are not using the "HE" detergents. The
regular detergents foam up and leave soap residue in the water and cause the
moldy smell. If you get that, just wash a big load of towels with hot water
and some bleach and it will disappear. Also remember to empty that little
reservior at the bottom of the machine once a month.

HTH, Linda in Tx

Old August 1st 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nana2b

Be careful with the Whirlpool. I had them for years and they were always
reliable, but they have added alot more plastic in them now. My friend has
the pair and in 3 years has had 4 repairs so far. She does more laundry
than me, but the pair are only 3 years old. HTH, Linda

Old August 1st 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 04:09:47 GMT, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

I appreciated all the thoughts on the front loading washers but was left
curious about one thing. Do the front loaders leave 'some' water from one
wash to the next? We have to leave our washer lids open a while after
washing to dry out so they don't sour and mildew. My mama said so. Polly

Yes, I think they do keep a little water in them, about the same as
would be left in a top loading washer. I have had the machine start
to smell a little after using All Free, but never after using the
unscented Method detergent sold at Target, and I always shut the door
after unloading it. (I don't want my kitties thinking the front
loader is a great hiding spot so it is closed unless I am using it.)
Method is an HE detergent and the All Free isn't. From what I
understand the HE detergents don't leave anything in the washer to
make a smell later on. I'm trying to use up the gallon of All Free we
bought just before replacing our old machine with the new front
loader. I have been using tiny amounts of it on days that I am going
to wash more than one load so I can run one with All and the second
load with Method. At this rate I may never run out of the All.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old August 1st 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Whew! OT front loading washers finale

Howdy!

This entire conversation has made me go in an pat my top-loader machine
and say, "Good Girl!"
Thank you! G

When the old Kenmore died of internal injuries several years ago
I looked and compared top-loaders & front-loaders and settled on
the Maytag top-loader w/ "Quiet Plus" and a big tub that sits up higher
than most other brands (so I don't have to stand on my head when I
pull fat quarters from the bottom of the tub). Never do I worry about
water left behind after the cycle is complete, I can open the lid any time
I want, the tub is huge so it holds any quilt, blanket, sheets,
yardage, any type of soap, BIZ, bleach thru' the dispenser or not,
doesn't leave any unpleasant odors, is convenient for MY use,
and--well, I'm just glad I chose it. VBG
Having grown up w/out an electric clothes dryer, and the washer sat
in an inconvenient part of the house (Dad was a carpenter; imagine how
....er..creative! our home's floor plan was g), I enjoy having
the washer & dryer Inside the house, ready for use at any time,
& I never take it for granted. ;-)

Whew!
Thanks for all the info, folks.

Ragmop/Sandy-- ... use what works best for you ;-

p.s. one more upgrade was the new Kenmore dryer we got last year
w/ the lint screen inside the dryer, very convenient, and no little
itty-bitty things left on top of the dryer can get inside the
machine like they did when the lint door was on top --
I know some mom designed that!

On 8/1/06 12:29 AM, in article
, "Audrey"
wrote:

I leave mine open, I also try and leave the soap dispenser drawer open,
There often seems to be enough water left there that I was concerned about a
musty smell. Although it has been shut a few times and no problem yet. I
have only had mine since June, so I do not have a whole lot of experience.
Audrey

k.net...

Old August 2nd 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That was a big part of going with Costco. If you have a big problem you
just haul the thing back in and get a refund. Like having a good sewing
machine guy. They stand behind everything they sell and I trust them.
Taria