HOT PADS?

Old September 25th 04, 03:47 AM
Puffins

Default HOT PADS?

I was thinking about having my special education students sew hot pads (pot
holders) using raw edge (we've done other projects where they turn it inside
out like bean bags and pillows). What is the best (cheapest?) thing to put in
the middle of the two layers of fabric that would still look nice showing out
at the edge? Would a layer or two of warm and natural work? other suggestions?
Thank you,
Donna
Old September 25th 04, 02:26 PM
Susan Laity Price

Warm Company that makes Warm and Natural has a new product out called
Insul Bright. It is a much better insulator than just batting. The
outer surface looks like Warm and White. The inner layer is silver
threads. I think it would look OK with a raw edge potholder. You would
still need one layer of cotton batting. Post the size you need for the
potholders and some of us might have scraps of cotton batting that
size. Since W and N is 90 inches wide and I make 72" by 102" quilts I
often have long strips leftover. As long as you "begging" let us know
the size and type of fabrics you need. Maybe someone will help with
that also.

Susan

Old September 25th 04, 04:56 PM
Daniel Coen

use fleece in the center. You could even use more than one layer. It
doesn't ravel, comes in many colors and patterns, and many of us have pieces
left over. You can always find small pcs in facric shop remnant bins

Old September 25th 04, 05:28 PM
Julia in MN

Daniel Coen wrote:
use fleece in the center.

Fleece is polyester and may melt at high temps. That may not be a good
idea for a hot pad.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 25th 04, 10:39 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Fleece also comes in wool (fleece--the coat of a sheep g)
and cotton. True, most of the cheaper fleece is poly.
I'd go for a thick layer of cotton batting in the hot pads, not intending
to pick up & hold pizza stones from a 425º oven (at least, not hold it for
long).
Cotton batting is a wonderful product; Hobbs 100% cotton and the
Warm&Natural will hold up well to raw edges.
Good luck!
Ragmop/Sandy

Old September 26th 04, 10:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

I use wool, myself. Insulates better than cotton or synthetics, insulates
even when wet, and incredibly cheap when you buy thrift store sweaters and
wash and dry them on hot.

Oh yes, wool is self-extinguishing when a flame source is removed, and
it stinks enough you notice if it's sitting on something too hot.

And yes, you can hold pizza stones from 425oF ovens with it.

Kay

Old September 26th 04, 07:29 PM
Pati Cook

But fleece can melt if you are handling hot pans with it.
And polyester is not a good insulator for this purpose.
Also, not sure the insulbright would be good left exposed. The silver layer is
sort of like a foil. on the edges some of the foil bits do shed off.

Pati, in Phx

Old September 26th 04, 07:42 PM
DavesFatChick

What is the best (cheapest?) thing to put in
the middle of the two layers of fabric that would still look nice showing out
at the edge? Would a layer or two of warm and natural work?

I use two layers of Warm and Natural when I make potholders. I think it would
look fine poking out. And you could always trim the edges with pinking shears
if you wanted a ruffly look.

Emma

Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all its students.

Semper Gumby! - Always Flexible!