Stitcher's World gone?

Old January 11th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Stitcher's World gone?

Too bad, the last two issues were great. Any subscribers out there?
Supposedly there is a new incarnation as Cross Stitch and Needlework and I'd
be curious to hear your thought!

Cheryl

Old January 11th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I've been a subscriber for a few years now, but I have to admit I've
been pretty disappointed with the designs in the magazine for awhile
now, so I was planning to let my subscription run out this year. I was
hoping that the recent change in ownership would bring a fresh look to
the magazine and breathe new life into it, but I guess it wasn't
enough.

I've read a lot of posts recently from other stitchers about the mag,
and the majority seemed disappointed with it, also. Especially after
their recent switch to color charts, that didn't go over very well at
all. It made the charts very difficult to follow and in some cases
impossible to read.

But I'm glad they plan to replace it with another needlework magazine,
at least. I can't recall how many issues I have left on my
subscription, but I'm looking forward to seeing the new magazine.
Perhaps it will be more appealing to stitchers since it won't be
limited just to cross stitch, like Stitcher's World was.

Now I have to hope that Just Cross Stitch is still doing well, that's
the only cross stitch magazine I have left and I really enjoy that one!
If they wen't under I'd be extremely disappointed, especially since
they put out the wonderful Christmas Ornament issue every year.

Michelle
Stitchy Kitty

Old January 11th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

the "story

"http://www.c-sn.com/Default.aspx?

Usually, I just thumb through it at the newsstand before buying, but the
last issue was SO good (which surprised the heck out me) that I was eager to
see what was next. (I'm cleaning up, so I spotted it and re-read it). I'll
buy an issue of the new magazine if it shows up at Barnes and Noble.

Cheryl

Old January 11th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Too bad, the last two issues were great. Any subscribers out there?
Supposedly there is a new incarnation as Cross Stitch and Needlework and I'd
be curious to hear your thought!

Cheryl

Sounds like they rallied for the last issue, but I quit subscribing two
years ago. I was less and less interested in the charts. Plus they
would do a designer focus, which I liked, but my luck was that the
designs I most liked from the article were never the one they chose to
chart in the magazine (personal taste). Anyhow, I let my subscription
lapse because the charts were less and less my style.

Barbara
Old January 11th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message

the "story

"http://www.c-sn.com/Default.aspx?

Usually, I just thumb through it at the newsstand before buying, but the
last issue was SO good (which surprised the heck out me) that I was eager
see what was next. (I'm cleaning up, so I spotted it and re-read it).
I'll
buy an issue of the new magazine if it shows up at Barnes and Noble.

Cheryl

It sounds like Stitcher's World has some lofty goals for coming back under
the name of Cross-Stitch and Needlework. Although in MHO now the best
American needlework magazine ever published it was better than most! It did
feature many designers who, if they weren't well know at the time are now.
Sue Hillis, Linda Reeves, Linda Abel, Emi Bishop, Betsy Stinner, Shepherd's
Bush and Nora Corbett are just a few that I recall seeing in that magazine
for the first time as I didn't have LNS or computer access. They also
introduced new techniques such as hardanger, Swedish weaving, needle lace
edging and the double layered technique!...remember that one?

Hopefully they're serious about producing a quality magazine and aren't just
hoping to ride on the reputation of their namesake.

Mavia

Old January 11th 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Mavia Beaulieu wrote:
They also
introduced new techniques such as hardanger, Swedish weaving, needle lace
edging and the double layered technique!...remember that one?

No. Would you explain the double layered technique?

Dianne

Old January 11th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Mavia Beaulieu wrote:
They also introduced new techniques such as hardanger, Swedish weaving,
needle lace edging and the double layered technique!...remember that
one?

No. Would you explain the double layered technique?

Dianne

Thanks for asking that question Dianne as it gave me a good excuse to go
through my old magazines! There are some really interesting projects in
some of them! The 'double layered technique' I was referring to is in the
February 1998 issue. It's called Victorian House designed by Patricia
Andrle. There are two layers of stitching...the bottom layer is of what you
would see through the windows and door of the house....curtains, plant etc.
The top layer is the outside of the house itself. It uses about a dozen
specialty stitches including hardanger to create a beautiful Victorian
house! When framing the project the bottom layer is put on one piece of
foam core and the top layer on a second which has a center square removed so
that you can see through the open hardanger windows! A very unique project!
I hope my description wasn't too confusing!

BTW Karen C. are you familiar with the 'lily of the valley' jar top design
in the April 1998 issue? Also Ruby... there is a cute blackwork boot in
the February 1998 you might like!

Mavia

Old January 12th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Mavia Beaulieu wrote:
[...]

I remember that one - it was NEAT! Dianne - you'd like this.

Old January 12th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

If they're going to be CS&CC's Second Coming, then they'd better get the
same designers on board. There wasn't a single issue of CS&CC that I
didn't have sticky notes on multiple pages.

Haven't done that with an American magazine since. In fact, several of
them, I wound up putting more than half my subscription in the box to
give to Mary because there was absolutely nothing I wanted to stitch.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: July birthstone, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html