Nordic Needle

Old October 4th 17, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

Default Nordic Needle

On 9/30/2017 3:18 PM, sharoncapps wrote:
I didn't go because I just didn't want to fight the crowds and I don't
really need anything right now. I wonder if they intend to have the
online store or if they will close that too.

From what I understand is they're going to try keep the online business
going. They will know more by around November what they're going to do
with the site.

I had found that they were not doing as well service wise when it
came to something that they had to order for you.

Y'know, I've never found their in-store service to be great. The best
service I had was about 8 years ago when they had a girl about 19
working there. The older workers seemed like they didn't have the time
of day for you. And it wasn't just me. Talking to a woman while
standing in line, she was saying she was going to try some hardanger
pattern. She was a beginner and the "help" told her it was too hard for
her and she should start with something much easier"!!! That really
turned her off. I agreed and said they could have told her "we have
some great tutorials on our site and if you need help, stop in on our
stitchy nights and we'd be glad to help" sort of statement.

Their people on the phones have always been a *great* help, though!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old October 5th 17, 05:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 10:28:43 AM UTC-5, Joan Erickson wrote:

Yeah, ours has really gone downhill, too. With a 1st prize of $3,
though, it's not much of an incentive when it costs $5 to get into the fair!

Yeah, that's the thing. It cost $25 to enter projects in our fair, but the winner only gets $3. In years before they judged the pieces so harshly (with a frickin' page of criticisms for even the winners) people got too scared to enter. And now no one enters. Given this I do understand why no one wants to participate, but the downside is that needlearts are being lost. Last year I saw two quilts entered and that was it for the entire fiber art division!

Joan, I haven't posted a pic yet, but I just got that red hardanger heart framed and that's one of the pieces I'm going to enter in the fair next summer. It turned out fabulous, but there is one tiny and obvious (to me) mistake in it when I did the eyelets. I decided to let it go and left it in there because no one else would even notice, but I bet the judges will rip me a new one for the error.

Speaking of cool patterns, one of the ones I picked up on Thursday was a
set of the fractal bookmarks. I've drooled over those fractals since
they first came out!

I'd never seen those so I looked them up...pretty cool! They're almost like mini HAEDs (Heaven and Earth Designs, full coverage projects). I'm not a HEAD girl myself, but the bookmarks would be manageable.

On a side note: I just got a Lowery floor stand from Amazon.com and have been loving it...I'm still stitching away on A Wicked Plant, Maple Leaf, and Bird On A Nest (which I probably won't finish before death, because canvas work hurts my hands). What is everyone else working on?

Lowery Workstand: https://www.amazon.com/Lowery-Workst...s=lowery+stand

A Wicked Plant: http://www.123stitch.com/item/Barbar...-Pattern/C8809

Maple Leaf, which I'm doing in varigated silkes and a hand dyed fabric: http://www.123stitch.com/item/Alessa...-Pattern/H5575

Bird On A Nest: http://www.notyourgrandmothersneedle...lown-home.html

Old October 6th 17, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
sharoncapps

"Violet Stitches" wrote in message

On a side note: I just got a Lowery floor stand from Amazon.com and have
been loving it...I'm still stitching away on A Wicked Plant, Maple Leaf, and
Bird On A Nest (which I probably won't finish before death, because canvas
work hurts my hands). What is everyone else working on?

I got a Lowery floor stand almost 20 years ago and I still find it to be
the one I like best of the 4 I have. I am currently working on Dyan
Allaire's of Kustom Krafts, Santa's Helpers. I started it about 3 weeks ago
and it has been slow going due to back and neck problems but weather is
changing so soon will be time to relax a little and get some good stitching
in.
Sharon in MN.

Old October 8th 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

I got a Lowery floor stand almost 20 years ago and I still find it to be
the one I like best of the 4 I have. I am currently working on Dyan
Allaire's of Kustom Krafts, Santa's Helpers. Sharon in MN.

Sharon, is this the piece you're working on? I had some trouble looking it up, but if it's this piece I like it a lot:

http://kustomkrafts.com/shop/images/9975.jpg

I should have gotten a stitching floor stand long before now but didn't want to fork out the cash. The Lowery Stand was patented over 30 years ago (in 1986) and I think it's just too costly...with the accessories I needed it came to over $200. It's essential for ergonomic stitching and I'm happy to have it, but geez, it seems everything in the needleart hobby is way too expensive. I suppose it's that way for all hobbies being that they're considered "luxuries." Sometimes I wonder if the exorbitant prices have contributed to the downfall of this art.

-----------------------

Funny side note: I want to start stitching Mirabilia's Snow Queen this winter and have purchased the pattern, the fabric, and the longer scroll rods....but I've been hesitant to buy the thread/accessory pack as it's well over $100.

Snow Queen pattern: http://www.123stitch.com/item/Mirabi...attern/16-1207

Fabric I've chosen: https://www.youthfulhandsneedlecraft...der-twilight-1

I was asking my husband if maybe he'd like to get the thread pack for me for Xmas, and he said, "oh hun, Xmas is so far away, you'll probably run of things to stitch before then!"

(*crickets*)

I finally managed to stammer, "thanks for your concern darlin', but I think I'll be ok."

Clearly he hasn't been watching the packages arrive from 123stitch lately, nor has he seen my stash. If he had, he'd know I have enough stitching to last me until the apocalypse!

Old October 8th 17, 12:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 16:18:59 -0700 (PDT), Violet Stitches
wrote:

[...]

I don't think so when I look at the prices for other crafts at say
Michaels. I was very fortunate to get a 'Lowery' stand knock off
years ago, made by a local man.

-----------------------

Old October 8th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

I was very fortunate to get a 'Lowery' stand knock off
years ago, made by a local man.

Wow, lucky you!
Old October 8th 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
sharoncapps

"Violet Stitches" wrote in message

Sharon, is this the piece you're working on? I had some trouble looking it
up, but if it's this piece I like it a lot:

http://kustomkrafts.com/shop/images/9975.jpg

That is the one. It will be cute when finished. Lots of confetti stitches
but still is going to be fun.
Sharon in MN

Old October 10th 17, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 10/5/2017 11:51 AM, Violet Stitches wrote:

Yeah, that's the thing. It cost $25 to enter projects in our fair,
but the winner only gets $3.

YIKES! At least there's no cost to *enter* ours.

In years before they judged the pieces so harshly

I don't think there's anyone actually *knowledgable* about stitching
doing our judging (one piece was so badly mounted there were *ripples*
in the framed work! I wanted to wait for the person and give them some
pointers about mounting and framing!!!). I always thought it would be
helpful to know how to improve one's work but, like you said, being
judged too harshly would definitely put a damper on the spirit of the
competition.

Joan, I haven't posted a pic yet, but I just got that red hardanger
heart framed

Oooo! Can't wait to see it!

On a side note: I just got a Lowery floor stand from Amazon.com and
have been loving it.
Lowery Workstand:

https://www.amazon.com/Lowery-Workst...s=lowery+stand

Ha! Arliss sent me that link (what a great price!) so, on her
recommendation, I ordered it yesterday. Won't be here for a couple of
weeks, which will give me a chance to finish my Victorian house. I just
have the lower right corner left and the stars in the sky.

I have been spending waaaaay too much on needlework things lately!!! I
also just yesterday ordered the frame for the Vic house. sigh.

Old October 10th 17, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 10/7/2017 6:18 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:

I was asking my husband if maybe he'd like to get the thread pack for me for Xmas, and he said, "oh hun, Xmas is so far away, you'll probably run of things to stitch before then!"

(*crickets*)

I finally managed to stammer, "thanks for your concern darlin', but I think I'll be ok."

Clearly he hasn't been watching the packages arrive from 123stitch lately, nor has he seen my stash. If he had, he'd know I have enough stitching to last me until the apocalypse!

LOLOL!!! Good thing they take up so little space or it would be *much*
more noticable!!!

Old October 10th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 10/8/2017 11:12 AM, sharoncapps wrote:

http://kustomkrafts.com/shop/images/9975.jpg

That is the one. It will be cute when finished. Lots of confetti
stitches but still is going to be fun.

Definitely cute!!!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Nordic Needle Newsletter Susan Hartman[_2_] Needlework 1 December 14th 10 12:17 AM
Nordic Needle mini rant Cheryl Isaak Needlework 4 October 15th 06 12:28 PM
Nordic Needle? lewmew Needlework 18 July 21st 06 10:10 PM
Nordic Needle experience? KCat Needlework 20 August 21st 05 02:21 AM
Nordic Needle anticipation Brenda Needlework 1 December 22nd 04 06:45 PM