A Finish!

Old August 12th 17, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rich[_3_]

Default A Finish!

I finished stitching the Ivory Billed Woodpecker by Crossed Wings
Designs. (forgot to include this one in my count from earlier post)

Working on jig saw puzzle now, to take a little break from stitching.

Rich
Old August 15th 17, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 8/12/2017 7:29 AM, Rich wrote:
I finished stitching the Ivory Billed Woodpecker by Crossed Wings
Designs. (forgot to include this one in my count from earlier post)

Working on jig saw puzzle now, to take a little break from stitching.

Rich

Congrats on the finish! Will be awaiting the pics in rctnp!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown
Old August 27th 17, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 7:29:03 AM UTC-5, Rich wrote:
I finished stitching the Ivory Billed Woodpecker by Crossed Wings
Designs. (forgot to include this one in my count from earlier post)

Working on jig saw puzzle now, to take a little break from stitching.

Rich

Congrats on your finish Rich! Nothing feels better.

I guess a lot of stitchers like starting projects over finishing them, but I love finishing best. Everytime I complete a stitching I finished it fully into something, which seems to be a rare thing among stitchers. I think I want to use Vonna's tutorials and perhaps start making some flat-folds with future finishes...it's much less expensive than framing. I must confess though, my finishing skills are not really up to snuff and look nothing like Vonna's gorgeous projects.

How about you guys...do you love starting or finishing best? What is your favorite method of finishing (frame, flat-fold, pillow, etc)?
Old August 29th 17, 11:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
sharoncapps

I prefer to start a project but do plan this winter to frame some that I
have completed stitching. I prefer to frame them.
Sharon in MN

Old August 29th 17, 12:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 05:53:45 -0500, "sharoncapps"
wrote:

I prefer to start a project but do plan this winter to frame some that I
have completed stitching. I prefer to frame them.
Sharon in MN

Over the years, the finishing became rather the problem. Even now my
condo has walls of stitching and pillows and can hold no more. I
don't think my friends and kids want more either, hence the switch to
knitting socks.

Probably the oddest of the lot appeals now, it was a long sampler that
I started in 1998 as a millennium project and actually finished it in
2002 I left some spaces and have added great grandchildren etc as
they arrived). I also have my great grandmothers sampler she did as a
young woman (clearly she did not like stitching), one an aunt had
partially completed and that I finished on my paternal side and one an
aunt on my maternal side did for me. The samplers are interesting in
their way and I hope someone else thinks so when I hop off the mortal
coil.

Old August 30th 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

I prefer to frame them. Sharon in MN

That's my preference too, though wall space is a huge issue in my open floor plan house (because there's no interior walls!). If I were ever to move I would NOT get another open floor plan because it's just too noisy when you live with other people. Plus, more walls means more space for stitching.

Over the years, the finishing became rather the problem. Even now my
condo has walls of stitching and pillows and can hold no more. I
don't think my friends and kids want more either, hence the switch to
knitting socks. lucretia

I've seen on youtube that some stitchers have created a "gallery wall" with stitching pieces all over it. This has a certain appeal to me and I'm considering trying it. In the past I've given most of my stitching away, but now I'm making a lot of stuff for ME...mostly because I find other people don't appreciate the effort that goes into it. The volume of finished pieces I have is only going up so this is going to become problematic as times goes on.

I'm so jealous you can knit! I tried making socks a few years ago but both knitting and crocheting use too much wrist rotation, and my damaged hands/wrists can't take it. If I ever get bionic hands, knitting socks is the first thing I'd do.

I also have my great grandmother's sampler she did as a
young woman (clearly she did not like stitching)

LMAO!! I'd love more details about this.

I hope someone else thinks so when I hop off the mortal
coil.

It has been a rather sad thing for me to realize that no one will want my stitching after I die. I can't believe my son is going to desire to decorate his future home in flowers and mermaids. My mom is 73 and loves my stitching, but when she dies I'll probably get everything I've given her back. This is why I don't spend money on using acid-free materials or expensive glass when I frame...I expect all my stitching will go either to the goodwill or in the garbage when I die. *cringe*
Old September 1st 17, 02:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Wed, 30 Aug 2017 09:37:31 -0700 (PDT), Violet Stitches
wrote:

[...]

I have had plastic surgery on the both thumb joints so I could
continue knitting lol For return thanks I knitted the surgeon a
handsome pair of socks.

I also have my great grandmother's sampler she did as a
young woman (clearly she did not like stitching)

LMAO!! I'd love more details about this.

OK I have posted some poor pics to rctnp - you will find in Sheena's
album. I had to use a flash on my great grandmothers sampler - I can
only think it has something to do with the conservation framing with
which it is done. The one with blue matting is the one that one aunt
started, then second aunt added and I finished doing the crewel bits.
The other one celebrating 1967 when we arrived here was a joint
project with another aunt, both out samplers are similar, she was the
one who really got me on the sampler kick. The long, green one was
the millenium one that was finished in 1992

Old September 2nd 17, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Loved seeing the pics...thanks for posting them. I like how your great g-ma's sampler is clearly designed by a young girl who chose her own colors. You just don't see stuff like that done anymore, as most people use patterns these days. It had a really nice "character" to it.

All the samplers are lovely, but I particularly like the white on white one....is that hardanger? It looks a little different than the hardanger I'm used to seeing, so maybe it's something else, but I love all the interesting stitches on that one.

Can you believe I've been stitching for over 30 years and I've never done a band-type sampler like the ones you've shown? I need to get one ASAP!

A fun side note: I've found a new project for fall (imagine that, something new to start). It's called A Wicked Plant by Barbara Ana Designs, and I'll be stitching it on some hand-dyed orange fabric. See it he http://www.123stitch.com/item/Barbar...-Pattern/C8809
Old September 2nd 17, 11:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 19:53:31 -0700 (PDT), Violet Stitches
wrote:

Loved seeing the pics...thanks for posting them. I like how your great g-ma's sampler is clearly designed by a young girl who chose her own colors. You just don't see stuff like that done anymore, as most people use patterns these days. It had a really nice "character" to it.

All the samplers are lovely, but I particularly like the white on white one...is that hardanger? It looks a little different than the hardanger I'm used to seeing, so maybe it's something else, but I love all the interesting stitches on that one.

It was a drawn thread sampler, so it included hardanger (with the cut
out threads) It seems to me someone was giving a course for a few
weeks and that was the product.

Can you believe I've been stitching for over 30 years and I've never done a band-type sampler like the ones you've shown? I need to get one ASAP!

Lol, we had a craze for them back then but in reality they were the
way young girls learned their stitching for the future, historically
they are quite interesting to read about, for sure there would be
books about them on amazon or ebay.

A fun side note: I've found a new project for fall (imagine that, something new to start). It's called A Wicked Plant by Barbara Ana Designs, and I'll be stitching it on some hand-dyed orange fabric. See it he http://www.123stitch.com/item/Barbar...-Pattern/C8809

lol that's amusing, and actually very sampler-like.
Old September 2nd 17, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Lol, we had a craze for them back then but in reality they were the
way young girls learned their stitching for the future, historically
they are quite interesting to read about, for sure there would be
books about them on amazon or ebay.

I've always been too busy stitching to research the history of stitching, but this fine morning I had some time on my hands and did some reading. It's pretty interesting stuff! There are several great articles about samplers on the internet (both "band" style and "spot" style samplers), and if anyone else is interested, here's two links giving all sorts of information about historical samplers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampler_(needlework)

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/article...y-of-samplers/

A small finish is still a finish Karen C - Calif Needlework 3 September 20th 13 04:43 PM
A finish! Amy in Transit... Quilting 0 October 27th 10 05:51 PM
Why can't I finish anything? Sunny[_2_] Quilting 31 May 13th 10 04:24 PM
A Finish. Queen City x-stitcher Needlework 1 April 11th 07 12:36 AM
A Finish! Shannon Needlework 1 August 28th 05 11:25 AM