Fun with Texture

Old February 11th 04, 07:49 PM
Diego

Hi Jan:

Shouldn't be a problem. If they deny a claim, then they will have
to deny the claim of a hobbiest that uses epoxy and welding torches,
etc. The only real question that comes up with manufactured homes
is if there is a wood stove installed. The only fire that I've heard of
regarding a studio is that the woodstove got out of hand or that some
one doing raku dropped a piece on the floor that sparked a fire.
That was pure carelessness. Should have set the kiln up outside
rather than inside the shed then caring the garbage can outside.

The building next door is still part of your property and would be
automatically covered on that same policy as an "other structure".
Would be safer, of course, to have it away from your living structure,
if possible.

Please let me know how it turns out.

Diego

"Jan Clauson" wrote in message
k.net...

Thank you, Diego. I will call them today.

Pottery is now a hobby for me, however, I did help set up and run a
pottery that was open to the public for a few years. The reason I have
been declaring the kiln is that there have been several reports of
claims being denied because there was a kiln on the premises. I have no
way of confirming these stories, but I thought it prudent to declare the
kiln. Don't want to have a fire and find out my insurance is invalid.
However, I am rethinking this position.

I do have a second option to put the kiln in a shed on the lot next
door, which I also own. However, there is no power to that lot and the
shed requires a lot of work. This would require a little more money
than I had intended to spend at this time.

I'll give Foremost a try, and If that bombs, on to the shed!

Thanks again,

Jan C.

Old February 11th 04, 11:28 PM
Minstrel Pig

Jan,
I used to live in Lake County (in the early '80s), and I have never
heard of anyone being denied insurance. This includes welders with
home-based businesses and blacksmiths...from all corners of the county. Try
asking some of the businesses in and around Lower Lake or on the north shore
to see if they can give you the names of some companies.

Dave

"Jan Clauson" wrote in message
link.net...
Yes, I am in CA - but have moved from Bay Area.

I honestly don't remember her name. The woman I am referring to has
pieces hung in lobbys of some large buildings in the area. If I
remember correctly her husband is an architect.

I do have her name in my notes somewhere, but, I am still moving. I
have been renting temporarily and recently bought a place. It is being
refurbished. I have asthma so won't move in until the dusty work is
done. The notes are all packed away. However, the studio will be the
first thing unpacked - hopefully in a week or two.

Incidentally, I wonder if anyone out there has a suggestion on
homeowners insurance. The place I bought is a trailer on a permanent
foundation on a city lot (50' x 100') with a wonderful workroom
attached. This is standard construction for this area (Lake County,
California). It is in an unincorporated area. The community is so
small, they don't even have home mail delivery. You have to rent a PO
box. I am unable to find anyone who will insure it. One company said
they would, but not with a kiln on the premises. That's just not an

option.

Jan C.

Old February 12th 04, 06:26 PM
Nancy Albin

Jan & Diego

I insure just my home on the home owners, it saves me money.

My out-building-studio-barn is not insured and has 3 large electric
kilns and a wood stove for heat. I realize that this is risky but is an
option for those of us who need creative ins. solutions in order to have
some ins at all.

The ins co. doing the special ins is: Scottsdale Ins, Scottsdale Az
800 423 7675 . The ins is under the "Fair Plan" and my agent in the East
Coast wrote the policy and submitted it to the ins co in Scottsdale. Its
a bit pricey but covers special ins situations.

Nancy Jane

AD: Grant Diffendaffer Texture Beads on eBay (and a vessel and canes) Grant Beads 2 January 26th 04 09:08 AM
texture beads Grant Beads 5 January 25th 04 09:19 PM
Carving Texture & Fur Jim Carving 4 November 26th 03 04:59 PM
COMM: Texture sheets, canes, cane ends etc Jan Ruhnow Polymer Clay 0 November 10th 03 06:18 PM
Comm: Fiskars shape boss,tins, texture sheets and more Jan Ruhnow General Crafting 0 November 5th 03 03:39 PM