Hand embroidery technique needed.

Old August 23rd 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cindy

Default Hand embroidery technique needed.

I have a needlepoint that calls for some hand embroidery to complete the
canvas. ( Its a christmas stocking) However, somewhere along the line, I
have misplaced the instuctions on how to do one certain technique. It is a
"fringe" like seem on the end of a scarf or on a table cloth done with
floss.
I have done this crewel stitch many years ago on another hand embroidery
piece that had a tablecloth on it as the fringe.
Can anyone pint me in the right direction on how to do this? I tried Google
without good results.

Thanks

Cindy

Old August 23rd 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cindy

I should have posted the URL for a scan of of the project.
The floss 'fringe' is to be applied to the ends of the scarf on the bulldog.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/stocking.jpg

Cindy

Old August 23rd 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Twinsmom

Try he

http://www.prettyimpressivestuff.com...key_frames.htm
or
http://webstitch.designwest.com/stitch02.html#turkey1

Hope this helps!
Carolyn

Old August 23rd 06, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tia Mary

Cindy wrote:

I have a needlepoint that calls for some hand embroidery to complete the
canvas. ( Its a christmas stocking) However, somewhere along the line, I
have misplaced the instuctions on how to do one certain technique. It is a
"fringe" like seem on the end of a scarf or on a table cloth done with
floss.
I have done this crewel stitch many years ago on another hand embroidery
piece that had a tablecloth on it as the fringe.
Can anyone pint me in the right direction on how to do this? I tried Google
without good results.

Thanks

Cindy

Great links Carolyn :-)! CINDY -- IMNSHO, that second link is
*really* good because it clearly shows the ground threads of the
needlework fabric. With Turkey Work, you want to keep the stitches as
close together as possible; once completed, you can cut the fringe or
nat -- depends on personal preference. I took a MITI Turkey Work class
with Catherine Jordan at CATS last year. It was a daring little lamb
all done in Turkey Work -- VERY nice since it used wool fiber that she
had gotten from her own sheep AND that she had hand dyed! CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old August 23rd 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dianne Lewandowski

"Cindy" wrote in message
I have a needlepoint that calls for some hand embroidery to complete the
canvas. ( Its a christmas stocking) However, somewhere along the line, I
have misplaced the instuctions on how to do one certain technique. It is a
"fringe" like seem on the end of a scarf or on a table cloth done with
floss.
I have done this crewel stitch many years ago on another hand embroidery
piece that had a tablecloth on it as the fringe.
Can anyone pint me in the right direction on how to do this? I tried
Google without good results.

More than likely turkey work. If so, you can get directions he
http://heritageshoppe.com/heritage/stitches/turkey.html

Dianne

--
Embroidery Discussions at http://www.heritageshoppe.com/forum

Old August 23rd 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jere Williams

I remember years and years ago, I made a large Raggedy Ann doll for my
daughter, and then made matching clothes for the doll and daughter. Anyway,
the doll's hair was done in turkey work in red yarn. It looked so nice when
it was done, and wasn't really difficult.

Gosh, that was a long time ago -- it was for dd's 3rd birthday, and she's 32
now.
--
Jere

Old August 23rd 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Look via EBay or Amazon for a copy of Mary Thomas's Dictionary of
Embroidery Stitches. I found a 1935 edition in the Thrift Store for
$1.00 so I have access to pretty much any stitch I want luckily I dont'
use to many though

Old August 24th 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/23/06 11:39 AM, in article ,
"Jere Williams" wrote:

I remember years and years ago, I made a large Raggedy Ann doll for my
daughter, and then made matching clothes for the doll and daughter. Anyway,
the doll's hair was done in turkey work in red yarn. It looked so nice when
it was done, and wasn't really difficult.

Gosh, that was a long time ago -- it was for dd's 3rd birthday, and she's 32
now.

Time sure does fly!

Cheryl

Old August 24th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jere Williams

Yup -- as dh says, time flies when you're having fun -- and even when you're
not...
--
Jere