shaping a lace pattern...

Old April 30th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

Default shaping a lace pattern...

i was working on this pattern for a few weeks http://www.interweave.com/knit/TSC/P...rmaid_Mesh.pdf
and after muchn heartbreak and starting over again and again i finally
got the fabric into a lovely place and reached the shaping part. i
completey messed the shaping up,oh i don't know, three times? i put
the yarn away in anger for a year. but i want to start again! i love
this sweater and i have so much yarn for it that i bought! can
someone give me some preactical tips for how to shape a lace pattern?

Old April 30th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 30, 4:34 pm, wrote:
someone give me some preactical tips for how to shape a lace pattern?

For a complex pattern (lace or otherwise) I often chart the shaping
section before I work it - it helps me to envisage it and to stay on
track once I'm started. So take the pattern chart and a coloured
pencil, work through the pattern shading out the decreases for the
edge (or neck etc.) - this will show you where to start the pattern on
each row.

Don't work on complex stuff unless you have some calm, quiet time.
It's very hard to concentrate on a complex pattern and have a
conversation or watch the kids etc.

You will get this pattern sorted I'm sure and you'll be so elated when
you do. It's lovely by the way - good taste!

VP

Old April 30th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Alison

On 29 Apr 2007 23:15:45 -0700, Vintage Purls
wrote:

On Apr 30, 4:34 pm, wrote:
someone give me some preactical tips for how to shape a lace pattern?

For a complex pattern (lace or otherwise) I often chart the shaping
section before I work it - it helps me to envisage it and to stay on
track once I'm started. So take the pattern chart and a coloured
pencil, work through the pattern shading out the decreases for the
edge (or neck etc.) - this will show you where to start the pattern on
each row.

Don't work on complex stuff unless you have some calm, quiet time.
It's very hard to concentrate on a complex pattern and have a
conversation or watch the kids etc.

You will get this pattern sorted I'm sure and you'll be so elated when
you do. It's lovely by the way - good taste!

VP

The only trick I can see is that the pattern says that the lace
pattern is knitted on the right side rows and the shaping is done on
the wrong side rows. I do love the pattern - good luck!

Alison
Old April 30th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

wrote:

On Apr 30, 4:34 pm, wrote:
[...]

That is a beautiful design.

I totally agree with what VP suggests as I too have found the easiest
way with lace stitches is to chart them.

One other thing I do at the end of each row is to check back across
that row to see that every "knit 2 together" has a corresponding "yarn
over" so that you neither lose, nor gain, stitches across the row. It
takes a little extra time but is easier (and less dispiriting) if you
can pick up any mistakes as they happen - having to unpick more than
one row is soul destroying.

Good luck with finishing the tunic and it'll be lovely to see some
pictures when you have succeeded.

lace pattern help? barbee Yarn 3 April 23rd 07 12:18 PM
What is the best way to fix a lace pattern? [email protected] Yarn 15 February 21st 06 06:07 AM
Harebell Lace Pattern Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 0 January 30th 04 05:56 AM
Stumped by shaping instructions in a pattern Karen in MN Yarn 24 January 5th 04 12:53 PM
Neck shaping - pattern instuctions help Denise Yarn 2 January 3rd 04 05:28 AM