Cabling without Cable Needle (C4B)

Old April 30th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cats

Default Cabling without Cable Needle (C4B)

If the pattern is simple I use a "fake cable" that involves
(S1, K2, WRN, psso) about every 4 rows. It looks a lot like
a small cable.

For complex Aran knitting I prefer to use a short circular
needle as it is easy to keep out of the way and doesn't drop
out of my work. I find these more comfortable to work with
than the U-shaped CNs.

Must admit - never really considered how to do cables
without a CN.
--

Cheryl

"fiberlicious" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Apr 29, 11:18 am, wrote:
:
:
: I tried all to the 'cable without CN" methods, and
decided that what I
: needed was better cable needles.
:
:
: I don't cable much, but have seen some of the instructions
for a
: needle-less cable. They all seemed to be much more
complicated than
: just using the silly cable needle, but I thought it was
just me...
:

Old April 30th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Vintage Purls wrote:

On Apr 30, 9:29 am, "Bernadette" wrote:
I'm doing a cable jumper at the moment and it is a nuisance when the
cable needle slips out of place. I'm going looking now that you've
said you can buy them. Thanks VP. (I prefer to work with a cable
needle too).

Mine are certainly purchased from somewhere but I have no recollection
of them actually entering my stash (like, I confess so many other
things). I have no idea what make they are but a quick Google search
revealed this: http://www.yarn-store.com/cable-needles.html

VP

Thank you for that VP.

I have a super local yarn shop who are always willing to order what I
need direct from the manufacturer. I got my circular pins from them so
will pop in there later his week.

Old April 30th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ILovemyDoggie.

Bernadette wrote:
Vintage Purls wrote:

On Apr 30, 9:29 am, "Bernadette" wrote:
I'm doing a cable jumper at the moment and it is a nuisance when the
cable needle slips out of place. I'm going looking now that you've
said you can buy them. Thanks VP. (I prefer to work with a cable
needle too).

Mine are certainly purchased from somewhere but I have no recollection
of them actually entering my stash (like, I confess so many other
things). I have no idea what make they are but a quick Google search
revealed this: http://www.yarn-store.com/cable-needles.html

VP

Thank you for that VP.

I have a super local yarn shop who are always willing to order what I
need direct from the manufacturer. I got my circular pins from them so
will pop in there later his week.

If you want to knit with a cable needle pattern and don't want to use
cable needle use three knitting needles. Just remember which way they
suppose to face. And slip the loop that you need on it for the
cableing pattern part.
Pam-Doggirl3

Old April 30th 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article .com,
Vintage Purls wrote:

Mine are certainly purchased from somewhere but I have no recollection
of them actually entering my stash (like, I confess so many other
things). I have no idea what make they are but a quick Google search
revealed this: http://www.yarn-store.com/cable-needles.html

There are also cable needles that are a complete U-shape.

=Tamar

The U-shape is the one I use. I found the V-shaped needle still slipped out
on me. For me, there is no way I would try cables without a needle. I know
lots of people can, but I'm not one of them. ;D

Shelagh

Old April 30th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

Vintage Purls wrote:

Mine are certainly purchased from somewhere but I have no recollection
of them actually entering my stash (like, I confess so many other
things). I have no idea what make they are but a quick Google search
revealed this: http://www.yarn-store.com/cable-needles.html

There are also cable needles that are a complete U-shape.

=Tamar

The U-shape is the one I use. I found the V-shaped needle still slipped out
on me. For me, there is no way I would try cables without a needle. I know
lots of people can, but I'm not one of them. ;D

I don't know that you can do it easily with more than 2 stitches. In
crossing 3 or 4 stitches I'd think you need another needle, whether a
cable or a dpn. Or pencil or whatever is available....

sue
Old May 1st 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Apr 29, 10:14 am, Alison wrote:
Hi - I've looked up a lot of instructions on cabling without a cable
needle, and all the ones I've found deal with a front cable (C4F).
I'm making a sweater that has 2 stitches held to the BACK on a cable
needle, and I haven't figured out how to do this without a needle.
Can anyone help?

I do most of my cable work without a cable needle. I just found it too
"fiddly" to fool around with. Sometimes I am sorry, but mostly it
works
out just fine. Sorry I have no site for you, though.

Higs,
Katherine

Needle review by an admitted needle-SNOB YarnWright Yarn 23 February 14th 07 09:25 PM
Cabling Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 2 January 20th 07 04:41 PM
cable stitch without cable holder? B Vaughan Yarn 8 May 12th 05 03:31 PM
Making cables w/o cable needle gdmack Yarn 5 November 5th 03 09:54 AM
cable help jess Yarn 0 August 31st 03 06:53 AM