Silk drive band - update

Old April 28th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

Default Silk drive band - update

5 hours.

That's how long I got out of my 8-ply spindle-spun driveband.

I was muttering under my breath about the problem when DH looked over
at my wheel and asked if the drive wheel rim was supposed to be
pointing so far left (from his POV) of the "little pulley spinny bits
over here closest to me".

Knock me over with a ton of bricks.

It looks as if small hands have been futzing with the wheel alignment
and I never noticed. It is a Norwegian bench-style wheel with all the
fiddly little mechanical bits required to properly align things.

Yes, someone named Not Me had screwed this hanger screw in and that
hanger screw out, plus had twisted one of the horizontal adjustment
screws. So not only was the wheel off-center in the horizontal plane,
the camber was badly out as well.

I've spun myself a 16-ply driveband - almost 2 hours of spinning and
plying for a 10' length of cord! - gotten the wheel back into some
semblance of correct alignment, and now I'm waiting to see how much
work I'll get out of the band.

I have 8 bobbins to ply off (well, I will have by bedtime tonight).
Cross your fingers that I get them done, or I'm liable to use this
damned wheel as kindling
Old April 28th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 28, 11:38 am, WoolyGooly wrote:
I was muttering under my breath about the problem when DH looked over
at my wheel and asked if the drive wheel rim was supposed to be
pointing so far left (from his POV) of the "little pulley spinny bits
over here closest to me".

Ah, frustrating as it is, at least you have an explanation for your
problems now.

It looks as if small hands have been futzing with the wheel alignment
and I never noticed.

I hope suitable threats were made to owner of small hands about what
will happen if spinning wheel is touched ever again.

I have 8 bobbins to ply off (well, I will have by bedtime tonight).
Cross your fingers that I get them done, or I'm liable to use this
damned wheel as kindling

Fingers crossed. That would be very expensive kindling!

VP

Old April 28th 07, 01:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 27 Apr 2007 16:55:27 -0700, Vintage Purls
wrote:

It looks as if small hands have been futzing with the wheel alignment
and I never noticed.

I hope suitable threats were made to owner of small hands about what
will happen if spinning wheel is touched ever again.

My spawn knows better than to mess with mom's stuff. One of the posse
members (there are now eleven boys age 12 or younger living on our
street) has a mind like a sieve: tell him something (don't do that,
use a tissue to wipe your nose, whatever), two minutes later he's
right back at it. I've seen him eyeballing the wheel in the past, I
bet if I had a fingerprint kit - and the skill to use it - I'd find
his sticky little squiggles all over the wheel.

I have 8 bobbins to ply off (well, I will have by bedtime tonight).
Cross your fingers that I get them done, or I'm liable to use this
damned wheel as kindling

Fingers crossed. That would be very expensive kindling!

Oh, I jest, but the thought has crossed my mind!
Old April 28th 07, 02:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 28, 12:59 pm, WoolyGooly wrote:
(there are now eleven boys age 12 or younger living on our street)

Cripes! I'd be making them play outside. Way, way outside. At somebody
else's place. And probably locking my wheel in a vault.

VP

Old April 28th 07, 08:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Taueret

"WoolyGooly" wrote in message asked if the drive
wheel rim was supposed to be
pointing so far left (from his POV) of the "little pulley spinny bits
over here closest to me".... It looks as if small hands have been futzing
with the wheel alignment

lol, that'll do it! things oughtta be much better now :-). Aren't little
helpers *wonderful*?

Taueret

--
NSW, Australia
http://taueret.typepad.com

Old April 28th 07, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 27 Apr 2007 18:47:48 -0700, Vintage Purls
wrote:

On Apr 28, 12:59 pm, WoolyGooly wrote:
(there are now eleven boys age 12 or younger living on our street)

Cripes! I'd be making them play outside. Way, way outside. At somebody
else's place. And probably locking my wheel in a vault.

VP

Most days they run amok outdoors - we do, after all, have 300 days of
sun per year. Rainy weekends find them here because we have two dance
pads for one of the idiot box games, and we have the cool board games
as well.

Once I realized the one boy's "issue" I started keeping a tighter rein
on him but even I have to pee occasionally.

Drive band problems WoolyGooly Yarn 4 April 27th 07 04:00 AM
Kits, patterns for stitchers, hand-dyed silk ribbons and silk threads by House of Embroidery. [email protected] Needlework 1 August 17th 06 12:46 AM
Sari silk - update Wooly Yarn 17 April 6th 06 01:28 AM
Silk Shawl update LLWeisse Yarn 0 March 30th 04 10:30 PM