HELP!!! wanting to weave an extra lenght of yarn into the insideof a hat for warmth....

Old March 13th 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default HELP!!! wanting to weave an extra lenght of yarn into the insideof a hat for warmth....

Hi there and I hope that someone can help me with a technique or advice.

I am knitting a hat, just plain ss or double rib. I want to 'weave' an
extra strand of yarn into the inside of the hat for extra warmth. eg:
hat body will be of one type of yarn while the inside yarn will be
possum yarn or merino.

Does any one have any ideas on how to do this? I do not want to make a
double layer hat *long sausage and turn it doubled* but on like I have
described.

Many thanks and awaiting your advice.

Old March 13th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

The way I've seen it done is as follows:
Assuming that you start from the top of the hat, when you get to the
length you want for the hat, change yarn to the one you want for the
lining. Reverse the pattern (so that the number of stitches per row
matches) Bind off. Turn the lining inside the hat. Baste down the
lining.
That sounds pretty confusing. Sorry.
Shana

Old March 13th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Rach *in NZ*" wrote in message
Hi there and I hope that someone can help me with a technique or advice.

I am knitting a hat, just plain ss or double rib. I want to 'weave' an
extra strand of yarn into the inside of the hat for extra warmth. eg:
hat body will be of one type of yarn while the inside yarn will be
possum yarn or merino.

Does any one have any ideas on how to do this? I do not want to make a
double layer hat *long sausage and turn it doubled* but on like I have
described.

Many thanks and awaiting your advice.

Rach, please look at the responses to your previous post asking this
question.

--
Jan in MN

Old March 13th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"craftydragon1951" wrote in message
oups.com...
The way I've seen it done is as follows:
Assuming that you start from the top of the hat, when you get to the
length you want for the hat, change yarn to the one you want for the
lining. Reverse the pattern (so that the number of stitches per row
matches) Bind off. Turn the lining inside the hat. Baste down the
lining.
That sounds pretty confusing. Sorry.
Shana

This would create a double layer which is not what she wants.

--
Jan in MN

Old March 14th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi both, and Jonathan Lady is correct, this is NOT what I want. I want
to weave into a hat, another yarn. Maybe I should just weave it in, as
I would if it were a tail of yarn at a join??

Rach

Old March 14th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Rach *in NZ* wrote:
Hi both, and Jonathan Lady is correct, this is NOT what I want. I want
to weave into a hat, another yarn. Maybe I should just weave it in, as
I would if it were a tail of yarn at a join??

Yes, exactly. When you weave it in, leave it slightly loose so it makes
loops. If you were doing it with short pieces of unspun roving it would be
called "thrummed". Look at pages for "thrummed knitting" to find hints.

=Tamar

Old March 16th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

OK as I see it.......not sure i'm right though...

Every other row, put your needles in to knit the stitch, and loop some ends
of fleece or thicker yarn around the needle, so that the cut ends hang down
onto the wrong side of the hat, and the hoop or loop bit is around the
needle....now knit the stitch...do this every other stitch or more or less
as you think is thick enough for what you want...

Hope this is what you mean...cheers....Cher