FA: KPM porcelain plaque, "The 3 Fates"

Old October 4th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace,rec.crafts.pottery
Debra[_2_]

Default FA: KPM porcelain plaque, "The 3 Fates"

http://snipr.com/3Fates

Old October 4th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.antiques.marketplace,rec.crafts.pottery
[email protected]

Debra wrote:
http://snipr.com/3Fates

Please stop spamming the group rec.antiques with your auction ads.
Rec.antiques is a discussion only group and its charter doesn't allow
any commercial, for sale, want to buy, or especially for auction ads.
Please remove us from your cross-posts.
Old October 8th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace,rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default ! EBAY Fraud (3 fates)

This spam mail led me to go to the site and try to send a message directly
to the sender that the email was inappropriate for the news groups. I
thereby found out that someone had hijacked my ebay account. I don't
believe that this spam in connected to the ebay fraud. I just would not
have found out about it without the spam so I am in the odd position of
being grateful to the spammer. Having said that - I suggest that you all
check your ebay account if you have one and make sure has not been taken
over by someone else (they change your ID and then send out mail using your
registered email address).

I am fastideous about security. I have a virus checker that is upgraded
every day. I use a firewall. I never respond to phishing or spam. I
always go through what I think are secure sites (which is why I went to ebay
to contact this poster).

Just thought a heads up was in order.

Donna

Old October 8th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.misc,rec.antiques,rec.antiques.marketplace,rec.crafts.pottery
Kris Baker

"DKat" wrote in message
[...]

How would they hijack your account, without you never
having responded to a phish?

NO ONE responds to a phish. Really. Because they
always believe they are responding to something genuine.

Kris

Old October 8th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
WJS

Kris and all:
With some of the newer bots out there, all you have to do is OPEN the email.
It then grabs your address.
Completely possible.
What a world!
Best,
Wayne Seidl

"Kris Baker" wrote in message
et...

Old October 9th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:37:45 -0400, "WJS" wrote:

Kris and all:
With some of the newer bots out there, all you have to do is OPEN the email.
It then grabs your address.
Completely possible.
What a world!
Best,
Wayne Seidl

You can avoid this sort of possibility by instructing your Email
program to NEVER open any HTML message with the browser.
It should be able to display a text-only version of the message,
whic is enough to see what it's about. You should also not
open JPG images, which can have malicious content inside.

There is no way that a text-only message can cause harm; to do
that there has to be something executable. HTML can have
Javascript and other malicious content, as well as malicious
JPG images with executable content.

However, note that a .DOC attachment is *not* text; it can
include executable content. Another baddie is .VBS
(Visual Basic Script). These are never the main body of the
Email, only attachments, so as long as the browser is not
activated for HTML messages, you can open any message
safely. Just don't open any attachments unless you are expecting
something specific from a sender you trust.

By that last, I mean you have a prior arrangement that they will
send a particular document or file. A big danger is malware
infections that peek at the infectees address book, or look
at prior exchanges, and then send out infections to previous
correspondents. So you could get a message from your
dear Aunt Tille with "Vacation Photos" or even something
specific that you had previously corresponded about, and
there would be a virus in an attachment. So DON'T OPEN
IT just because it's from someone you know.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v3.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!
Old October 9th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Thanks Bob for the reminder on what I once knew but carelessly forgot
(Never! put your complete faith in your virus checker - it is only a filter
with holes). Donna