stitching question

Old April 23rd 07, 02:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
SMark

Default stitching question

Hi, I don't think I've posted to the group before. If I did, it was ages
ago.

I need help. Badly.

I googled the newsgroup and couldn't find my answers, so here goes.

In my previous life, I cross stitched quite a bit. I haven't cross stitched
in years and recently, I've been going through my books, looking at on-line
cross stitch shops and would like to get back into it. However, I do feel a
bit rusty and am not so sure of myself.

I have many old patterns and still love many of them. My question is
concerning my fabric. I still have quite a stash of linens and aida.
Beautiful pieces and colors. Is my aida and linen still good to stitch on?
And do we still use Aida?

I picked out some patterns to start on: How's this for old?

1. A Quaker sampler that was designed for Cross-Stitch and County Crafts
magazine when Brittney fabric came out. That was Mar/April 1993. I plan on
using a linen instead.

2. The Bless this House Sampler from Happy Hearts by Graph-It Arts Book 5
from 1986.

3. Goose Woman from In Times Past by Vanessa-Ann from 1982. The model is
stitched on Aida and I do have a piece of Aida 18 count that I think would
work for this.

4. The Bird Tree by The Goode Huswife from 1998.

Also, more questions: I'm finding where I bought these overdyed threads
from Sampler and Weeks. I have used them in the past and my shop originally
told me just to prewash them, get all the excess dye out and then use them.
I did that for some Just Nan pieces and it worked out just fine. Later, I
told the shop what I was doing and they completely reversed what they had
said before. What is the proper way to handle these threads?

And has DMC changed the dye lots on any of their old colors? Or, just to be
safe, should I make sure I have enough of the color to complete the project
to ensure no nasty surprises?

Thank you so much.

Sandi in Lawrenceville, GA

Old April 23rd 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Annette from NZ

Hi Sandi,

Your old fabrics should still be OK as long as they haven't
discoloured along any folds. If so then try washing the fabric and
drying in the sun. I have stitched on 40yr old linen that I found in
my mother's stash and had no problems. I do have an old (damaged!)
table cloth from my grandmother which I plan to use someday, but I
will only be using pieces of it as applique because the base fabric is
now quite fragile. I think this cloth is close to 100yrs old.

I would also closely check your old threads, some dyes do change over
time. I would take the skeins to your local embroidery shop and
compare your thread to a new skein in GOOD daylight. Designs are
usually based around a colour scheme and it would be horrible if a
changed colour caused problems.

I am always careful with overdyed threads. As most of my pieces will
be used and laundered I tend to only buy thread labelled as
colourfast, but I have heard gossip of some disasters with threads
running when the finished pieces was washed before stretching and
framing. Perhaps some of the others in the group could let you know
the best treatment for specific brands.

Have fun with your stitching, I have seen the Bird Tree done and it
was lovely.

Regards, Annette in NZ
http://www.xstitchandbeyond.com

Old April 23rd 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

SMark wrote:
Is my aida and linen still good to stitch on?
And do we still use Aida?

Good linen will last hundreds of years.

And some of us still use Aida.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 1/26/07 -- Classy Lady in Coral (JCS) -- done in purple to
match the companion piece

WIP: housewarming gift, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html
Old April 23rd 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 4/22/07 9:34 PM, "SMark" wrote:

Hi, I don't think I've posted to the group before. If I did, it was ages
ago.

I need help. Badly.

I googled the newsgroup and couldn't find my answers, so here goes.

Welcome to the group.. No doubt ou'll get some answers - use them as ou like
:^)

In my previous life, I cross stitched quite a bit. I haven't cross stitched
in years and recently, I've been going through my books, looking at on-line
cross stitch shops and would like to get back into it. However, I do feel a
bit rusty and am not so sure of myself.

I have many old patterns and still love many of them. My question is
concerning my fabric. I still have quite a stash of linens and aida.
Beautiful pieces and colors. Is my aida and linen still good to stitch on?
And do we still use Aida?

As others have said, the fabric is likely good. You could do a gentle swish
around in some coolish water, with a little light soap (plain Ivory dish
soap - the white stuff) and then roll the fabric in a towel to squeeze dry,
hang it to air dry, and then when just damp, iron it. That will freshen it,
and get out any dust, etc. Plus, cleaning it before stitching - especially
if you're going to use some overdyes may avoid any future washing wit
running overdye problems.

I picked out some patterns to start on: How's this for old?

1. A Quaker sampler that was designed for Cross-Stitch and County Crafts
magazine when Brittney fabric came out. That was Mar/April 1993. I plan on
using a linen instead.

2. The Bless this House Sampler from Happy Hearts by Graph-It Arts Book 5
from 1986.

3. Goose Woman from In Times Past by Vanessa-Ann from 1982. The model is
stitched on Aida and I do have a piece of Aida 18 count that I think would
work for this.

4. The Bird Tree by The Goode Huswife from 1998.

Interesting collection. I remember the Goode Huswife piece - that's really
nice.

Also, more questions: I'm finding where I bought these overdyed threads
from Sampler and Weeks. I have used them in the past and my shop originally
told me just to prewash them, get all the excess dye out and then use them.
I did that for some Just Nan pieces and it worked out just fine. Later, I
told the shop what I was doing and they completely reversed what they had
said before. What is the proper way to handle these threads?

IIRC, there was a big discussion about this for a few days this past fall -
certainly within the last year. Maybe in November? But, some of us (not me
usually) rinse their overdyed threads first - if it's a piece that will be
washed, used. Do the cool water, and you can use a bit of white vinegar in
the water, and rinse til runs clear. Probably about 1/4-1/2 cup in a normal
bathroom sink basin size. The thread - if it's very variegated - will lose
a bit of the look - but then it won't run again. It usually changes the
look a bit, but on some it's not much - depends on the color and the
actually overdyed style.

There are several more entries into the world of overdyed cotton. You'll be
amazed. I've added Crescent Colors to my list of favorites - very yummy.
And I still love Weeks as my first favorite in cotton. Then there's Sampler
Threads, and Needle Necessities (which I find seem to not really run).

Anyhow - for the most part - the thread companies label them, usually "not
colorfast" - so it's your choice. You can check out their various websites
for some info as well. As you might guess, we haven't all had the same
experiences with the overdyes, and we don't all agree as to how we handle
them.

And has DMC changed the dye lots on any of their old colors? Or, just to be
safe, should I make sure I have enough of the color to complete the project
to ensure no nasty surprises?

If it's been that long - there's a good chance that a new skein will be
somewhat different. There are always changing dye lots - but the dye method
is consistent so colors tend to be the same to the human eye. But, with
colors that are several years, or 20, old - likely the more cautious thing
would be to take whatever colors you're concerned about (if you need a
couple of skeins for a project and only have 1 on hand) and go to the LNS,
compare - and make a decision. Floss is cheap, your time and skill aren't ,
and if you're pretty sure you will need more than what's on hand - I'd err
on the side of caution over having to frog in the future. But, that's me.

Thank you so much.

Good luck, and we'll look forward to hearing about your progress.

Sandi in Lawrenceville, GA

Ellice in Northern Virginia

Old April 23rd 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Mary

Aida is sold in lots of fabric and craft stores, as is linen. As to
linen lasting, you might be interested to know that when I was in the
Smithsonian in the mid-1980's they had George Washington's field tent
set up, and it is made of linen!

Old April 23rd 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Those aren't old, not even close!
Old is stuff from the 50's!

Anything older than that is vintage!

Old April 23rd 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gill Murray

Maybe I can add to the info you are getting from all these knowledgeable
ladies.

DMC did change some of the colors in the 1990s. Here is a quote from
Kathy Dyers FAQs.

3. Keeping Up With DMC Color Changes

Color Shift of 1995

In 1995, DMC shifted certain colors in order to keep color families
consistent after various dyestuffs were discontinued due to ecological
concerns and regulations.

For most of the colors, the change was difficult to see. But some
shades were noticeably different. These we

317
318
320
413
414
415
503
504
762
959
977
991
3363
3799

The new grays tended to be bluer than the old.

I sure do miss Kathy's presence on this group!

Regarding overdyes; I believe it is the GAST site, maybe Caron, who
recommended washing the floss prior to stitching; just rinse the hank
in cool water and let it dry on paper towels, clean towel etc. They were
particularly talking of the reds, which have a tendency to run when
washed. I don't remember exactly WHICH site I read that, I was browsing
through various sites last week! I might add I have never washed the
stuff myself, but tend to live overdyes to the end, if I can, wash the
piece first, and then do the overdye with scrupulous care about
cleanliness. This works fine if you are using DMC AND an overdye!

My LNS has been making a record of which DMC flosses seem to appear in
different variants. I should get a list when I am next there. I can
PROMISE you that 503 changed; I did half a border in the old color, and
then continued on unknowingly with a new skein. When I realized things
looked so different, the piece is now in the UFO drawer!!

Gillian
Old April 29th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Darla

"SMark" wrote in message
ink.net...
Also, more questions: I'm finding where I bought these overdyed threads
from Sampler and Weeks. I have used them in the past and my shop

originally
told me just to prewash them, get all the excess dye out and then use

them.
I did that for some Just Nan pieces and it worked out just fine. Later, I
told the shop what I was doing and they completely reversed what they had
said before. What is the proper way to handle these threads?

Do whatever works for you. I won't use overdyed flosses with*out* soaking
the excess dyes out. But that's *my* preference. I also don't necessarily
complete each X before moving on to the next one when using these flosses.

Old May 2nd 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
StitchingNut

Hi Sandi,

Your fabric should be still okay. Linen certainly gets vintage, the older it
gets, but yours probably isn't even close.

I would dust it off first, then gently wash it in cold water with very mild
detergent. You might find that the AIDA probably has some creases, which are
hard to get out, but you can work around it. Yes, AIDA is still used.

I was once told to rinse overdyed threads only, when they are used on very
light fabrics or on pieces to be washed. And mostly reds and blues, which
are prone to bleed the most. However, so far I haven't done it, but then
again, I normally don't use very heavily coloured threads at the moment.

Happy Stitching
Sibille
www.myenchanting.com