Stash building Sat at Joann's

Old September 22nd 03, 05:17 PM
Kathy in CA

Default Stash building Sat at Joann's

Joann's for the super Sat sale was very tiring. I had to wait for a cart
befor I could even start and then there were only TWO cutters so had to wait
in huge line there too. Ended up pulling up a chair to my cart as my knees
were giving out (arthritis).

Spent some big bucks! Bought 2 pks of queen Hobbs cotton batting. The warm &
natural was in a HUGE roll and didnt feel like carting it to the cutting so
bought the packaged Hobbs instead. [NOTE: at least one person was buying 5
or 6 ROLLS of batting at 20 yds to the roll!]

Bought some yellows/gold/orange-mostly in 1 yd pieces or took all of bolt is
less than 2 yd. I dont use much yellow but wanted some for stars for a wall
hanging. I found THE PERFECT DARK PURPLE--its a tone on tone large roses and
a lavender swirly fabric to blend with it. They will be used when I make
another version of the Purple Haze Quilt I did in a quilt class which turned
out to be Green Haze because of poor instructions. I bought 2 kinds of
flannel to make me some warm nitegowns for winter. Also bought a few yds of
a burgandy/gold print and a bright pink print. Also bought a few FQs for a
table runner I have in mind.

Also bought 2 pieces at Walmart on Fri--a tone on tone burgandy--60" wide so
I bought 6yds. Also bought 6 yds of a perfect bg fabric for some unknown
future project--purple/pink/blue flowers with2 shades of green for leaves on
a white bg.

On Sat I also went to a different Walmart acroos from Joann's and bought
another yellow (1 yd; 2 yds of xmas fabric, and 5 1/2yds of a solid green I
may use for a backing for a twin quilt.

I made an active decision not to start any more quilt tops until I do the
quilting on the tops I now have--its up to 5 tops now! Besides which I need
to start some smaller projects for Christmas gifts. Also need to make some
curtains for the bedroom to match one of the quilt tops.
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

Old September 22nd 03, 09:46 PM
CNYstitcher

Wow! I'm worn out! HOwever, by *not* going, I feel that I have allowed
some other quilter/seamstress to purchase the exact fabrics and notions
that she needed for the project that had tobe completed on a deadline.
As for myself, I finished up projects that were feeling neglected and
got a few of those from my "to do" list done. Working on a wall-hanging
now, and hope to be finished with it before bed tonight...woohoo!

Great stash enhancement!!

LArisa

Old September 22nd 03, 11:43 PM
nzl*

omg, that sounds like my favourite dark purple fabric too. got it two yrs
ago, must of been at joanns, i dont recall, i bought so much on that trip
back. mine too is a daaaaaaaark purple tone one tone roses. i LOVE it!!!
wishing now i'd bought more of it then, oh well...
sounds like you had a fabulous day out. i think you bought more fabs than i
did. amazing, lol.
i went thru one joanns during a sale. managed to find 25 bolts i liked and
were pretty good fabs, not those icky thin ones. though must say i got
conned into a few of those during the trip just by the colour/pattern, never
again. they loved me at the cutting table. heehee, oh well, they want my
money, they gotta put up with all that cutting. the indecision though, how
much of each to get, oh dear, that was really hard to do on the spot.
well done Kathy.
jeanne*

Old September 23rd 03, 05:03 PM
MerryStahel

I went for the Saturday Super Sale to get WHITE Warm & Natural - which they've
NEVER had. Sure enough, there was none.

Oh well.

I'd also like to try Quilter's Dream since Ragmop so highly recommends it, but
I guess I'm gonna have to order online, as they also only carry small bundles
of it.

Although this Joann's is bigger thant the one I worked at, I don't get much of
what I need there.

Hobby Lobby has nicer fabric and lots more craft stuff, but they don't carry
any but the most minimal amount of batting.

I am nearly out of the roll of batting I special ordered back when I worked at
the Joann's in PA.

And what's with Christmas fabric this year? Nothing is pretty!

Sigh.

Merry whiny G
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old September 23rd 03, 07:55 PM
juliasb(nospam)

I too was able to make out like a bandit at JoAnn's on Saturday. I
purchased 4 yds of the Warm and Natural, my budget couldn't support more
unless I wanted to spend a great deal of money and lose the savings I
knew I would get if I were careful. I also bought a couple stencils, a
few more pieces of flannel for the flannel quilt that I have finally
started on. I also got needles, fabric dyes, threads, and a mini-iron.
When I got home I tallied up what everything would have been at
regular cost and then deducted what I really spent ($37.52). The
savings was $100.03 (after taxes). Of course I had a gift card to help
things along there, but even with out the gift card the $150 at regular
price I still saved about $70.00. I was very pleased with myself all
the way around.
juliasb

Kathy in CA wrote:
[...]

come and journey with me...
from darkness into New Life
http:\\www.nwlife.com

Old September 23rd 03, 07:56 PM
Julia in MN

I'd also like to try Quilter's Dream since Ragmop so highly recommends it,

I think the batting Ragmop recommends is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 cotton. It
has also become my faborite. My JoAnn's has it in various sizes up to
queen size. I have also bought it at Michael's and have seen it at Hobby
Lobby.

Julia in MN

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old September 23rd 03, 09:24 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Julia in MN" wrote in message

I'd also like to try Quilter's Dream since Ragmop so highly recommends

it,

I think the batting Ragmop recommends is Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 cotton. It
has also become my faborite. My JoAnn's has it in various sizes up to
queen size. I have also bought it at Michael's and have seen it at Hobby
Lobby.

I recommend Quilter's Dream highly. I know, not as good as a Ragmop
recommendation, but I've done a quilt or two.

(Yes, I like 80/20 too. But not if it's packaged. And not if it's got trash
in it. And not if they've stretched it. *sigh*)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old September 23rd 03, 09:30 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

I recommend Quilter's Dream highly. I know, not as good as a Ragmop
recommendation, but I've done a quilt or two.

(Yes, I like 80/20 too. But not if it's packaged. And not if it's got trash
in it. And not if they've stretched it. *sigh*)

Why is Hobbs batting so out of wack when it's packaged, but other brands
aren't? Quilters dream is great out of the bag - but it's folded rather
than rolled. Fairfield is rolled like Hobbs, but it doesn't have big
stretched out sections.

I like Hobbs off the big rolls at the quilt store though. Too bad I
can't get the fusible or the wool that way...

marcella
Old September 23rd 03, 10:03 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Marcella Tracy Peek" wrote in message

Why is Hobbs batting so out of wack when it's packaged, but other brands
aren't?

Beats me. I ask the sales rep from Hobbs, and he said I was imagining it.
*hmpf!*

I'm thinking about sending a note to all my customers saying I won't accept
Hobbs in the package any more -- if they want to use it, they'll have to
take it out and fluff it in the dryer first, and we'll inspect it together
when they bring it in.

Old September 24th 03, 04:41 PM
Lynne Van

I find this approach odd (I mean the Hobbs guy.) I have noticed
lately that whenever I have had a customer complaint, the
company rep has argued with me strenuously. *I* must be wrong
because the company (or product) is perfect. One example of this
follows.

I called a local company (Jamieson) which makes vitamins and
"health" products, to complain about some Vitamin E cream I
bought which was so highly perfumed ("natural", of course), I
couldn't use it. It was about $16, so not something I just
wanted to throw away. The woman at Jamieson essentially told me
I was all wet, that the women at Jamieson use the cream and that
it does NOT smell too much because *they* don't think so. I
mean if I want to wear perfume I will wear perfume; I don't
expect skin creams to *be* perfume! Anyway, I guess she got
tired of talking to me as she asked me sarcastically what I
wanted...like I was trying to hold them for ransom or
something. I thanked her for her wonderful service and hung up.

I suppose there is some cryptic comment one could make about how
this new approach to customer service reflects on society in
general, but I, being just a dumb customer, am too stupid to
figure it out! (VBG)

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto