Gluing Stone Beads

Old June 30th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
elle

Default Gluing Stone Beads

Hello,

Newbie here. I have recently started beading again after putting it down
for a while. Glad to see some discussion about beading on Usenet!

Today I went to the bead store and purchased a strand of Jasper and Hematite
beads. They are rather large, and when I got home I discovered that one of
them is cracked in two. I suspect it happened after I bought them, because
I usually look pretty closely at them before I buy.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for whether I could
glue this bead back together, and if so, what sort of glue to use.

Thanks in advance!

Old June 30th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
elle

No, I wouldn't sell it. I would use it in something for myself!

Thanks for the help, both of you. I guess epoxy is the way to go.

"Vibrant Jewels" wrote in message
nk.net...
Well, I wouldn't glue it back together and then use it in something I
sold. I'd be more likely to glue it to a collage or piece of 3D art. If it
broke once, and it has, using it in jewelry would likely cause it to break
again and cause an unhappy customer.

--
Karleen Page
Member International Jewelry Designers Guild (IJDG)
"Sterling" wrote in message
something permanent - epoxy

Old July 1st 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

Hi Elle,

Check out this web site http://www.thistothat.com/

Personally, I wouldn't glue it back together, though many beads sold are
saturated with a glue when you buy them, like the "hematite" that comes in
many shapes, and "stabilized turquoise". The two reasons are that you'd
probably end up with some sort of ridge where they are glued and I'd worry
it until it came apart again. And, the glue would probably cost more than a
new bead.

So buy another strand. It's a perfect excuse to increase your bead stash.

Tina

"elle" wrote in message
No, I wouldn't sell it. I would use it in something for myself!

Thanks for the help, both of you. I guess epoxy is the way to go.

"Vibrant Jewels" wrote in message
nk.net...
Well, I wouldn't glue it back together and then use it in something I
sold. I'd be more likely to glue it to a collage or piece of 3D art. If

it
broke once, and it has, using it in jewelry would likely cause it to

break
again and cause an unhappy customer.

--
Karleen Page
Member International Jewelry Designers Guild (IJDG)
Vibrant Jewels web sto

http://www.vibrantjewels.com/jewelry/welcome.htm
Vibrant Jewels JustBeads Auctions:
http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=21770
CLICK HERE to join myYahoo Group:

"Sterling" wrote in message
something permanent - epoxy

Old July 2nd 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

I glued a stone cab together with E-6000. I'm going to bead it and just
keep it for me. It's hardly noticeable, and it was special to me, so I'll
still enjoy it. I've also used the E-6000 for gluing glass to earring and
pin backs.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com
"elle" wrote in message
Hello,

Newbie here. I have recently started beading again after putting it down
for a while. Glad to see some discussion about beading on Usenet!

Today I went to the bead store and purchased a strand of Jasper and
Hematite beads. They are rather large, and when I got home I discovered
that one of them is cracked in two. I suspect it happened after I bought
them, because I usually look pretty closely at them before I buy.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for whether I could
glue this bead back together, and if so, what sort of glue to use.

Thanks in advance!

How To Make Stone Beads by Daniel Lopacki luxefaire Beads 0 August 3rd 06 01:26 AM
Gluing mirrors Rick Frazier Glass 0 July 6th 04 12:35 AM
Gluing question Juanita Floyd Polymer Clay 3 November 5th 03 03:29 PM
AD: Great Stone beads on eBay meijhana Beads 0 October 30th 03 12:20 PM
AD: stone beads and chips june Beads 0 July 4th 03 02:25 PM