Crazy for Clay

Old June 24th 07, 02:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Default Crazy for Clay

Hi guys,

Once more I'm trying something new! I have started noodling with clay,
but not polymer clay (I can't bake it in the house beacuse of the
birds). I decided to enter a local sculpting contest and bought some
air dry clay. My first try at it wasn't bad - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/58257670/
- this isn't the one I'm entering in the contest though. The second
one turned out much better.

Anyway, as you can imagine, I thought...heyyyyy I should try making
some beads from this stuff! It seems to make some pretty good beads -
I bought some mini cookie cutters and as long as I make them at least
a quarter inch thick, they seem pretty sturdy.

I discovered Makin's clay at Michaels, which is a no-bake polymer
clay. I really like the texture of it, and I can see maybe making
molds out of it.

In other news, my spring semester class is done on Monday. June has
mostly been a write off because of the class and a nasty sinus
infection I had. I can't wait to get back to doing fun things!

Best,
Christine

Old June 24th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vibrant Jewels

Wow that design a little smaller would make a cool pendant. I really like
the rough texture it has now. It gives it more of a wild look, like it's in
motion. Don't sand it all away! LOL

That clay might be something I could work with. I'm afraid to handle regular
poly clay much due to the dyes in it.

Thanks for sharing,

--
Karleen Page
Member International Jewelry Designers Guild (IJDG)
ups.com...

Old June 24th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beadbimbo

That's pretty! When do we get to see the better one?

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old June 24th 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Karleen,

Just wear latex or a similar type of glove when you work with the clay.
That's what a lot of people do..

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Habitué

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com
http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Old June 24th 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Very cool!

As far as the clay goes - you can always pick up a toaster oven at a
garage sale and put it outside to bake polymer clay. Calibrate it with
an oven thermometer, of course.

I wouldn't recommend using either the air dry or Makins clay for beads -
there's not enough strength in either product for jewelry applications.

Old June 24th 07, 05:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

That's pretty! When do we get to see the better one?

Hi Jerri! I'll post the other one after July 1st, that's the deadline
for entries :-)

Best,
Christine

Old June 24th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

As far as the clay goes - you can always pick up a toaster oven at a
garage sale and put it outside to bake polymer clay. Calibrate it with
an oven thermometer, of course.

Cool! I didn't know that a toaster oven would work, I'm sure the
Salvation Army would one :-)

I wouldn't recommend using either the air dry or Makins clay for beads -
there's not enough strength in either product for jewelry applications.

I made some leaves from the Makin's and yeah, I can't see using it for
beads at all. It seems like it would snap really easily and I can't
see a way of making a hole in them. The pieces that I made yesterday
seem to have dried nicely though, and I'm going to make them into
magnets. I'll see where the air dry clay takes me...I made some round
and oval pendants that are 3/8" thick. When they dry completely in a
couple of weeks, I'll see how they hold up :-)

Best,
Christine

Old June 24th 07, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
bluemaxx

Very nice rendition of a horse head, Christine! I like thr roughness of it
so please don't "sand it out of existence". lol You know what I'd love
to see on it? A bead for the eye! Good work and I hope you win the
contest!

--
hugs,
Linda

wrote in message
ups.com...
: Hi guys,
:

Old June 25th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vicky

On Jun 23, 8:59 pm, wrote:
[...]

Christine Looks Good There is a new Porcelin clay mom and I tried its
air dry and we found it at at both Micheals and Hobby Lobby near the
polymer clay Have Fun V

Old June 25th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Christine Looks Good There is a new Porcelin clay mom and I tried its
air dry and we found it at at both Micheals and Hobby Lobby near the
polymer clay Have Fun V- Hide quoted text -

Hi Vicky,

Heh! I've been telling people that I feel so cheated by my high school
art classes sometimes...I was so turned off the medium because we had
to work without sculpting tools and used this awful red clay.

I think the porcelain clay is by AMACO or something? I'll see if my
Michaels has it :-)

Best,
Christine