Historical Knit or Crochet Patterns?

Old December 5th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Historical Knit or Crochet Patterns?

Hi Everyone,

We have a pioneer farm that shows what life was like in the 1800s for the
settlers who came here. I'd like to make maybe some shawls to donate so the
"interpreters" can wear them. But I don't know where I can look to find
historically accurate patterns for that time period. I just assume they
would've crocheted or knitted at that time but I was wondering where I could
find out all this information.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Bonnie (not in San Angelo) :-)

Old December 5th 05, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

It is my considered but unprofessional opinion that any sort of shawl
you make will be appropriate. Most of the European migrants who came
to the US brought their clothing styles with them - arrival on foreign
shores wouldn't cause them to abandon known construction methods and
styles. I would caution the use of "plain stitch", either stockinette
with a garter border, or 100% garter stitch; workday shawls would've
been plain, with ends long enough to tie behind one's back. A Sunday
go-to-church shawl would have been fancy, and probably any color
except white.

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 18:00:50 GMT, "mdemama" spewed
forth :

Hi Everyone,

We have a pioneer farm that shows what life was like in the 1800s for the
settlers who came here. I'd like to make maybe some shawls to donate so the
"interpreters" can wear them. But I don't know where I can look to find
historically accurate patterns for that time period. I just assume they
would've crocheted or knitted at that time but I was wondering where I could
find out all this information.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Bonnie (not in San Angelo) :-)

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old December 6th 05, 01:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
mdemama wrote:
Hi Everyone,

We have a pioneer farm that shows what life was like in the 1800s for the
settlers who came here. I'd like to make maybe some shawls to donate so the
"interpreters" can wear them. But I don't know where I can look to find
historically accurate patterns for that time period. I just assume they
would've crocheted or knitted at that time but I was wondering where I could
find out all this information.

Can anyone help me?

People took their craftwork with them when they went west, so the styles
could depend on where they came from as well as what was available. One
mountain man is recorded to have bought a guernsey sweater and a "Scotch hat"
at a trading post, so imported things were occasionally available too.
I'd look at Weldon's Practical Needlework, Vol.1, published in facsimile
by Piecework Magazine, and Therese de Dillmont's Encyclopedia of Knitting.
I know there are some facsimiles available on the net, too. "Handwork"
I think is available on a Canadian website, and I think Mrs Beeton's
needlework book is on project Gutenberg.

The 19th century was more or less when modern crochet was invented and
it was wildly popular.

There are also re-enactor websites for very specific periods - you might
try the US Civil War re-enactor sites to start with.

=Tamar
Old December 6th 05, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Bonnie - Try these links, also use "vintage knitting patterns 1800's" as
a search term; also, go to www.about.com and search for v. knitting
patterns - that is a good search engine.

http://www.gbacg.org/buying.htm
http://www.rebeccasreproductions.com/patterns.htm

"mdemama" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

We have a pioneer farm that shows what life was like in the 1800s for the
settlers who came here. I'd like to make maybe some shawls to donate so

the
"interpreters" can wear them. But I don't know where I can look to find
historically accurate patterns for that time period. I just assume they
would've crocheted or knitted at that time but I was wondering where I

could
find out all this information.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Bonnie (not in San Angelo) :-)

---

Old December 7th 05, 08:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I have a pattern for a shawl on my website. The pattern comes from
1891, I just made one and wrote it out in modern terminology.

Go to http://www.knitting-and.com/homework , scroll down to section III
and click on "Shoulder Shawl".