Back from camp :) (long)

Old July 19th 03, 04:59 PM
Sandy Foster

Default Back from camp :) (long)

yawn I'm pooped! But camp was, as usual, lots of fun! In fact, it's
still going on, but I always figure on coming home early, since by
Thursday I'm on overload from all of the information. Not to mention
being exhausted from late sewing nights, strange bed and intense
concentration during classes. g

I drove from LV to Flagstaff, AZ, on Sunday, arriving in a horrendous
rainstorm that disoriented this directionally-challenged driver. Result?
I got off the freeway too late and was totally lost. Cell phone to the
rescue! I called my hotel, got directions and tootled on over. Except
that my room, which they'd assured me on the phone was ready, wasn't. No
problem! They cheerfully upgraded me to a mini-suite, which meant a tiny
bit more room, a microwave and a fridge, as well as a larger table for
sewing in the evenings.

That evening I met up with my camp "buddy", whom I see every year there
and who drives me around at night, since she knows I don't see well
enough to drive in the dark. She was at the hotel next to mine. We went
to the teacher reception, got a couple of books autographed, asked a few
questions and went back to our hotels to organize the next day's
supplies.

Monday and Tuesday we took a class from Margaret Miller. It was called
AnglePlay and was a real stretch for me, since I usually just make
someone else's pattern in my choice of colors. However, this class had
us drafting our own patterns! I like mine, but I didn't get very far. In
fact, very few of the class even sewed a single stitch, since we were
all busy drafting and cutting fabrics to put up on the design wall. I'll
continue working on mine, but it will take some time, since I'm
rethinking my colors and since every piece must be separately cut. I
gave up and ordered MM's templates, though, since making my own would
have been *very* time and labor intensive!

Tuesday evening was show and tell, which was wonderful. We saw lots of
finished quilts and tops from last year's classes -- all inspiring. I
never did get to any of the evening lectures, which I usually do. I just
didn't have time!

Wednesday's and Thursday's schedule was for a class with Jackie Robinson
with her design called "Eureka", named for the town in Montana she and
her DH have relatively recently moved to. The pattern is gorgeous, and
I'm really pleased with my colors on this one. DH had requested his
favorite color, purple, so I'm using a range of four purples, four
aquas/turquoises, and four creams. We made a couple of each kind of
block in the quilt (nine kinds, total, though I only have to do eight,
since I'm making a lap quilt). I'll post photos of some of the blocks to
my WIP page later.

Yesterday I got up early and drove home to find that my sweet DH had
left me a birthday surprise. Keep in mind that my trip to camp is
partially funded by him as my birthday and/or Christmas gift. Still, he
had left me a card on the table (he was at work), and in the card was a
generous gift certificate to the LQS close to our house! Later he took
me out to dinner, so I'm a happy camper -- literally! g

Now I'm off to run some errands before I babysit one of my DGSs.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas

http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster
Old July 19th 03, 06:56 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Welcome home!
Wow, looking at some of these projects, mercy!
Jackie Robinson, founder of Animas Quilts, lovely designs;
here's some samples of her Eureka pattern:
http://www.animas.com/SCRAP/EurekaScrap.html
And Margaret Miller: such inspiration!
http://www.millerquilts.com/workshop...angleplay.html
The birthday celebrating continues!
So, what'd you get at the quilt shop? g

Ragmop/Sandy

Old July 19th 03, 07:20 PM
Sandy Foster

In article
,
" Ellison" wrote:

Howdy!
Welcome home!
Wow, looking at some of these projects, mercy!
Jackie Robinson, founder of Animas Quilts, lovely designs;
here's some samples of her Eureka pattern:
http://www.animas.com/SCRAP/EurekaScrap.html
And Margaret Miller: such inspiration!
http://www.millerquilts.com/workshop...angleplay.html
The birthday celebrating continues!
So, what'd you get at the quilt shop? g

Thanks, Sandy! Not only areJackie's designs lovely, she's a terrific
instructor! I've posted a photo on my site at http://home.earthlink.net/~s_foster/wips.html to show off the *start* of my Eureka quilt so you can see the colors.
DH loves them. g As for Margaret Miller, her class was really a
stretch for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. That piece isn't far enough
along to be recognizable yet, so no photos until I can get back to
working on it, which will be after the templates arrive. g

As for the quilt shop, I haven't been there yet. I only came home
yesterday, and today is busy (babysitting, among other things). Oh well;
the gift certificate will wait. I may not even spend it all at once,
though I'm considering using it to pay for the BOM I'm doing from there.
Decisions, decisions!

Old July 19th 03, 11:11 PM
DDM

Sandy, Quilt Camp sounds like heaven! How wonderful to have taken classes
from both Margaret Miller and Jackie Robinson.
What a nice DH too....sounds like he missed you. g

Dee in LeRoy, NY

Old July 20th 03, 04:02 AM
Elena

All I can say is WOW!!
I love the pattern, and your color choices! I hope you'll post another pic
when you get more of them made. It's gorgeous already!

Elena in Tx

Old July 20th 03, 08:15 AM
shhdesigns

Small world Sandy, the Doreen Rennschmid from Sardis B.C. is a friend of a
good friend of mine. I've sent her a copy of the link. Interesting how we
three Sandy/Sandis link together.
LOL.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

Old July 20th 03, 03:33 PM
Patti

Hullo Ragmop
Thanks for posting those links. I never know what anything is from the
name (if it is at all up to date!!). The Eureka quilts are beautiful;
but the Margaret MiIler Angle Play and Blockbender have *really*
attracted me.
I am so grateful to you guys that have the wit and wherewithal to find
these things for those of us who have cranky computers and virtually no
computer knowledge. I am well familiarised with Google now; but, if I
don't know I have something to look for! ... ....
and the computer is not yet my first call for information. I'm getting
better though!
Thanks again.

In article ,
Ellison writes
Howdy!
Welcome home!
Wow, looking at some of these projects, mercy!
Jackie Robinson, founder of Animas Quilts, lovely designs;
here's some samples of her Eureka pattern:
http://www.animas.com/SCRAP/EurekaScrap.html
And Margaret Miller: such inspiration!
http://www.millerquilts.com/workshop...angleplay.html
The birthday celebrating continues!
So, what'd you get at the quilt shop? g

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 20th 03, 03:35 PM
Patti

Love the pattern Sandy; and I *really* like the colours you have chosen
for it. Lots of different blocks - how interesting. I rarely do a
block quilt, but seeing this type of thing does make me wonder whether I
shouldn't? g
..
In article , Sandy
Foster writes

Old July 20th 03, 10:31 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Patti wrote:

Love the pattern Sandy; and I *really* like the colours you have chosen
for it. Lots of different blocks - how interesting. I rarely do a
block quilt, but seeing this type of thing does make me wonder whether I
shouldn't? g

It's a great pattern, Pat. And the instructions come in booklet form
with color/colour illustrations -- which you really need if you don't
use the colors originally used by Jackie! g
.
In article , Sandy
Foster writes

Old July 20th 03, 10:33 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"shhdesigns" wrote:

Love your WIP page Sandy. The Eureka quilt looks like it's off to a great
start.

--
Sandi in New Westminster B.C.

Thanks, Sandi! I'm hoping to get lots more blocks for it done while DH
is visiting his mom this week. Let's see...I'll need 80 blocks, and I
already have 18....