defects during storage of flat glass

Old May 17th 06, 09:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default defects during storage of flat glass

hi, during storage of flat glasses they undergo some defects because of
producing some alkaline solutions. can somebody tell me how can I solve
this problem?

Old May 17th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

try a product that removes lime such as CLR or lime away. m
oups.com...

Old May 18th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Very strange. Glass should be stored on edge so even leaking water should
not collect between sheets.
Quality glass should not have a formula that results in alkaline
breakdown.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
oups.com...

Old May 21st 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Yup ... last summer I used a clients' old stock Spectrum dense white opal to
bend for replacement lenses for some custom exterior sconces. I did not do
the original lenses. They broke a few and came to me because the original
(cheapo)creator disappeared in the night .... duh!

Anyway, some substance must have leaked onto the glass, and I have no idea
what. I meticulously cleaned the glass prior to firing, as I've fired this
Spectrum white before and know you must be careful. But when I took the
pieces out of the kiln I would find light grey blotches, even patterns, on
the white. No matter how clean I got them, the blotches appeared (with or
without overglaze spray). Under intense lighting I was finally able to see a
very subtle irid surface stain before firing, which in turn became the grey
crud. My only solution was to finally just polish the entire glass surface
on an upright felt wheel with cerium oxide. That worked, and drove the price
through the roof, and I had already made them wait a year because I was busy
skiing Baldy. I could have ordered new replacement glass, but was using the
clients' own old-stock, and in hindsight I would order fresh glass if I ever
encounter this stain again. I've fired a lot of glass, new and old....this
one stumped me (for a while). The client now has better glass lenses than
the originals, because mine slumped nice and even ... the originals were
fuuuunnnnkeeeee.

cheers, Jacques Bordeleau

"Mike Firth" wrote in message
Very strange. Glass should be stored on edge so even leaking water

should
not collect between sheets.
Quality glass should not have a formula that results in alkaline
breakdown.

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website
http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/
oups.com...

Old May 21st 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

"sundog" wrote in message ...
[...]

OH, LOOK WHO'S HERE!

The snow must have melted on the ski-able part of the mountain!
Nice to hear from you Jacques. (and yes, that was an undertone of envy in
the opening line.)

Old May 26th 06, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Hahahahaha.... you two are so funny! Actually the hill stayed open an extra
week...heheheh. Great season.... could have still skied the north side if
you hiked up, until a hot streak last week that brought out some brown
coloration. Actually I'm slaving for a client ... I only skied 28 daze this
season. I'm on the home run side of a house full of glass I started a year
ago ... one job! T+M!!! Even brought a skilled buddy (and blues harpist) out
from Ohio for a month to move the project along. I've been telling everyone
else they have to wait a year because I won't start their job until this one
is done, or I'd never get done.....and lost many other jobs because of it,
although a couple folks have been willing to wait....heheheh. I always tell
clients that they wouldn't want me to stop work on their job before it's
done and start some on other job, would they? That ends the discussion with
everyone agreeing...;-)

I mention all this just so you other peeps out there don't think I'm JUST a
goof off...I work lots of seven day weeks in a row to pay for my winters off
.... and yes, NEXT winter is mine, paid in advance.

I've been regularly pumping my mountain bike around the paths the past month
getting ready for some serious single-tracking this summer, and editing the
last few songs for my bands' next practice CD. I have no idea when I could
fit in any beach this year, unless it's Galveston when I install the job in
a few months ....LOL. But thanx for asking!!!

Sorry I got out of the habit of coming here... I changed ISP a while back
and they don't carry newsgroups.... but I finally found a way...a free
news-server that allows posting (thanx google). Take care all....

cheers, JB

(never going to be ready for AARP)

"Javahut" wrote in message

"sundog" wrote in message
[...]

Craft of Stained Glass Work Vintage manual 1928 FA JaneyP Marketplace 0 March 4th 06 10:24 PM
glass storage solutions Nick Glass 6 January 19th 06 01:29 AM
Help from the US glass people, please? Su/Cutworks Beads 21 October 7th 04 10:14 PM
HELP: mounting beveled glass in doors Tim Glass 5 December 29th 03 05:14 PM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 09:19 PM