High-density Urathane for carving?

Old March 11th 05, 10:47 PM
Rick Cook

Default High-density Urathane for carving?

Has anyone carved this stuff? I ran across a sign-maker on the web who
uses it extensively for hand-carved outdoor signs.

See:
http://www.danthoniadesigns.com/dd/u...ource=LeftMenu

It looks like it would be cheaper and more stable than wood outdoors and
they're working it with hand tools.

--RC
Old March 13th 05, 07:16 PM
Patrick

I will post all that I learn over the next week or two as I get the stuff
and try it out, it looks interesting although I haven't talked money with
them.

I checked out your site . . . cool toys! And thanks for the input.

Patrick

www.woodbythebundle.com

"Andrew Werby" wrote in message

ink.net...

http://www.danthoniadesigns.com/dd/u...?source=LeftMe
nu

It looks like it would be cheaper and more stable than wood outdoors and
they're working it with hand tools.

--RC

[There are quite a few varieties of high-density urethane; some are quite
expensive, like Renshape from Ciba. They do carve easily, but I'm not sure
about long-term exposure outdoors. If you know of a source that's cheaper
than the common softwood species, please post it here. This material is
favored for CNC carving, since it's grainless and cuts cleanly; I could
use
some myself...]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

Old March 14th 05, 05:33 PM
Rick Cook

Andrew Werby wrote:
"Rick Cook" wrote in message
ink.net...

Has anyone carved this stuff? I ran across a sign-maker on the web who
uses it extensively for hand-carved outdoor signs.

See:

http://www.danthoniadesigns.com/dd/u...?source=LeftMe
nu

It looks like it would be cheaper and more stable than wood outdoors and
they're working it with hand tools.

--RC

[There are quite a few varieties of high-density urethane; some are quite
expensive, like Renshape from Ciba. They do carve easily, but I'm not sure
about long-term exposure outdoors. If you know of a source that's cheaper
than the common softwood species, please post it here. This material is
favored for CNC carving, since it's grainless and cuts cleanly; I could use
some myself...]

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com

When I said cheaper than wood, I meant hardwood. I don't normally carve
softwoods, even for signs.

Since I live in a tree-deprived area I pay about $5 a bf for carving stock.

How much is the stuff you're familiar with?

--RC

--RC
Old March 17th 05, 12:33 AM
Dan C.

Ren board is about $10 a board foot, and comes 2 to 4 inches thick and 16
or 20" wide by 5 feet long. We use it every day at work. Ren 450 is about
45 lbs per sq. ft. I carved all the gingerbread around my victorian home,
and after 10 years I saw no paint coming off. I used the small cutoffs that
we throw out because it" just too exspensive. but the lighter stuf is
proporthionally cheaper. They make 20# and 12#, but the 12# is just too
soft and porous. Dan
Rick Cook wrote in message
.net...
Andrew Werby wrote:
ink.net...

Old March 17th 05, 11:18 PM
Rick Cook

Dan C. wrote:
Ren board is about $10 a board foot, and comes 2 to 4 inches thick and 16
or 20" wide by 5 feet long. We use it every day at work. Ren 450 is about
45 lbs per sq. ft. I carved all the gingerbread around my victorian home,
and after 10 years I saw no paint coming off. I used the small cutoffs that
we throw out because it" just too exspensive. but the lighter stuf is
proporthionally cheaper. They make 20# and 12#, but the 12# is just too
soft and porous. Dan

Thanks Dan. That sounds like it would be the way to go for some stuff.

You say it's called "Ren board" in the trade?

--RC
Old July 26th 05, 12:00 AM
GaryR52

Try Last-A-Foam, from General Plastics
(http://www.generalplastics.com/produ...il.php?pid=19&). It's
relatively inexpensive, comes in various sizes and densities, and can be
laminated together to form larger blocks.

Gary

ink.net...

Old July 27th 05, 08:38 PM
Patrick

Interesting stuff from General Plastics, I came across the same question a
while back. I ordered some of various densities to do some experimenting
with. The lighter of the stuff was a little too porous for me, but might be
fine for others. The middle range was just sweet! Carved like firm
Basswood and was stiff enough to carve a chain out of it (1/2 - 3/4"
square). It can be made to be 12" thick in 4x8 sheets, plus you can
laminate it to be thicker. I will be bringing it in for my own company in
the future for resale to schools/carvers who need larger stock that will not
warp or be effected by temperatures or climate conditions. Sign makers use
this stuff btw. One mans opinion . . . interesting stuff and I like it.

The heavier grade stuff is really dense and holds the most minute detail.

Patrick

"GaryR52" wrote in message
newsaeFe.6170$Zt.5299@okepread05...
Try Last-A-Foam, from General Plastics
(http://www.generalplastics.com/produ...il.php?pid=19&). It's
relatively inexpensive, comes in various sizes and densities, and can be
laminated together to form larger blocks.

Gary

ink.net...

Old August 22nd 05, 01:58 PM
GaryR52

I haven't tried it yet, myself, but plan on doing so. Alternatively, another
sculptor I know uses pourable polyuerthane kits to make his own foam, which
he casts in a trash bag. It gives him a fairly good sized blob of foam to
carve, which lends itself well to the curvilinear forms he does. I'm
thinking that might be the better alternative for me, as it's far cheaper
than buying factory cast/extruded blocks.

Gary

"GaryR52" wrote in message
newsaeFe.6170$Zt.5299@okepread05...
Try Last-A-Foam, from General Plastics
(http://www.generalplastics.com/produ...il.php?pid=19&).
It's relatively inexpensive, comes in various sizes and densities, and
can be laminated together to form larger blocks.

Gary

ink.net...

Beads at high altitude Tinkster Beads 23 January 20th 04 07:54 AM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Marketplace 0 December 14th 03 06:52 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Quilting 0 December 14th 03 06:52 PM
MT. DIABLO HIGH SCHOOL CONCORD, CA PHOTOS MT. DIABLO HIGH SCHOOL PHOTOS Quilting 0 October 13th 03 03:33 AM
MT. DIABLO HIGH SCHOOL CONCORD, CA PHOTOS MT. DIABLO HIGH SCHOOL PHOTOS Quilting 0 October 9th 03 11:55 PM