Iridescent glass

Old August 5th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
No Body[_2_]

Default Iridescent glass

Does anyone know how the iridescent coating on stained glass is
made, and what the stuff is made of? I'm wondering how to remove
select areas on a piece.

Old August 5th 09, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Lauri Levanto

No Body wrote:
Does anyone know how the iridescent coating on stained glass is
made, and what the stuff is made of? I'm wondering how to remove
select areas on a piece.

I do not know the formula.
In principle it is a thin deposit of metal,

It can be removed by sandblasting, etching or abrasive tools.
-lauri
Old August 5th 09, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
charlie

"No Body" wrote in message
Does anyone know how the iridescent coating on stained glass is made,
and what the stuff is made of? I'm wondering how to remove select areas on
a piece.

different manufacturers use different chemicals. a bunch of them use tin
chloride fumed on when the glass is coming out of the rollers and still hot.

Old August 6th 09, 03:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
No Body[_2_]

"charlie" wrote in message

"No Body" wrote in message
Does anyone know how the iridescent coating on stained glass is
made, and what the stuff is made of? I'm wondering how to remove
select areas on a piece.

different manufacturers use different chemicals. a bunch of them use
tin chloride fumed on when the glass is coming out of the rollers
and still hot.

Since I have it about, what sayest thou to brushing on etching
paste, aka hydroflouric acid?

Old August 6th 09, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Lauri Levanto

No Body wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message
"No Body" wrote in message
Does anyone know how the iridescent coating on stained glass is
made, and what the stuff is made of? I'm wondering how to remove
select areas on a piece.

different manufacturers use different chemicals. a bunch of them use
tin chloride fumed on when the glass is coming out of the rollers
and still hot.

Since I have it about, what sayest thou to brushing on etching
paste, aka hydroflouric acid?

It should work but
Be extremely carefull, read the safert notesand MSDS first.
It is dangerous stuff.
As always test on a scrap first
-lauri
Old August 10th 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Dennis Brady

On Aug 5, 11:31*am, "No Body" wrote:
* * Does anyone know how the iridescent coating on stained glass is
made, and what the stuff is made of? I'm wondering how to remove
select areas on a piece.

The irid surface can easily and safely be removed with sandblasting or
etching cream. If you want, you can return a full smooth gloss to the
etched parts by fire polishing in a kiln. Pieces done that way can
look delicately elegant.
Old August 10th 09, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Dennis Brady

On Aug 5, 7:39*pm, "No Body" wrote:
"charlie" wrote in message

"No Body" wrote in message
* *Does anyone know how the iridescent coating on stained glass is
made, and what the stuff is made of? I'm wondering how to remove
select areas on a piece.

different manufacturers use different chemicals. a bunch of them use
tin chloride fumed on when the glass is coming out of the rollers
and still hot.

* * Since I have it about, what sayest thou to brushing on etching
paste, aka hydroflouric acid?

HFC is truly horrific stuff but the amount contained in Etching Creme
is too little to be of serious concern. It's commonly used by
thousands of hobbyists.

For anyone considering using HFC, here's an article explaining why
they should reconsider.
http://www.glasscampus.com/tutorials...ric%20Acid.pdf
Old August 10th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
No Body[_2_]

"Dennis Brady" wrote in message
On Aug 5, 11:31 am, "No Body" wrote:
Does anyone know how the iridescent coating on stained glass is
made, and what the stuff is made of? I'm wondering how to remove
select areas on a piece.

The irid surface can easily and safely be removed with sandblasting or
etching cream. If you want, you can return a full smooth gloss to the
etched parts by fire polishing in a kiln. Pieces done that way can
look delicately elegant.

Thank you! That is very good to know!