Patina verus metal-paint...?

Old April 5th 09, 07:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Default Patina verus metal-paint...?

Hi, all,

I have tried using Patina on copper-foil pieces, but wasnt' all that
impressed with it. I do know that metal paint (specifically, Rustoleum brand
enamels) seem to totally seal the surface AND are just about indestructable.
Tghe "hammered metal" finishes look pretty decent.

Also, there are painting techniques that end up looking very good (and I
started my crafts activities decades ago via painting, so I'm fairly adept at
it).

So is there a technical reason why a paint can't be applied over solder?
Especially for items intended to be outdoors? Or it is merely that poeple
generally assume painted solder will look "cheesy"?

Thanks in Advance!

- Kris
Old April 6th 09, 08:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
basglas

On Apr 5, 2:24�pm, Kris Krieger wrote:
Hi, all,

I have tried using Patina on copper-foil pieces, but wasnt' all that
impressed with it. �I do know that metal paint (specifically, Rustoleum brand
enamels) seem to totally seal the surface AND are just about indestructable. �
Tghe "hammered metal" finishes look pretty decent.

Also, there are painting techniques that end up looking very good (and I
started my crafts activities decades ago via painting, so I'm fairly adept at
it).

So is there a technical reason why a paint can't be applied over solder? �
Especially for items intended to be outdoors? �Or it is merely that poeple
generally assume painted solder will look "cheesy"?

Thanks in Advance!

- Kris

Sure. I've used paint over solder and like it. Just clean the solder
well. I use a wire brush to slightly roughen the surface.

Patina Issue.... Jman Glass 5 July 29th 07 03:07 PM
Brass patina wanted Bill Cademy Glass 3 December 21st 04 04:12 AM
patina recipe Yvetta Voldan Glass 10 September 20th 04 09:54 PM
Metal-effect paint on polymer clay Tasha Polymer Clay 6 May 14th 04 12:59 AM
Wood patina George G Carving 0 July 6th 03 09:52 PM