Brother 930 lace tips?

Old November 5th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Leah

Default Brother 930 lace tips?

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips for doing lace on the Brother 930? I've
cleaned and oiled my machine, have a new sponge bar, cleaned my
carriages, and tried both the EON cast on and an E wrap. I've checked
for bent needles, hung claw weights, checked tension mast for
snags/yarn feeding smoothly, and I'm still getting dropped stitches
when knitting my test pieces. I'm using fingering wool at T 10 for
test pieces, since I have plenty of it to spare and I want a filmy
lace. Is it just I'm using too loose a tension, or is it the wrong
weight/fiber, or could something else be behind all the dropped
stitches? I don't think I'm moving the carriages too fast, and I'm
moving my claw weights up every 6 rows. I also have the wax up in the
yarn feeder, as recommended.

TIA for any tips you can give me on wrestling The Beast into
submission for lace!

Leah
Old November 9th 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
[email protected]

Hi Leah,

Two things I would try - tighten the tension up at least 2 numbers (I
get great lace with T:7 or 8 with 2/24 yarn) and then make sure the
face of the little magnet is cleaned off. I had that happen to me a
couple of times and someone recommended cleaning the magnet and it
seemed to do the trick.

Are your dropped stitches always in the same area on the swatch? i.e.
always near the sides or some such? If so, that could be a weights or
needle problem.

Marge in Reno
mkdesigner

Old November 10th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit
Leah

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 02:30:43 -0800, wrote:

Hi Marge,

Two things I would try - tighten the tension up at least 2 numbers (I
get great lace with T:7 or 8 with 2/24 yarn) and then make sure the
face of the little magnet is cleaned off. I had that happen to me a
couple of times and someone recommended cleaning the magnet and it
seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know about the magnet, and I'll
keep it in mind if I have problems in the future.

I did finally figure out the problem by knitting in extremely slow
motion. My tension mast had a loose screw on the front yarn loop
holder (I don't know the technical name), and it only occasionally
caused very slightly larger loops on the LHS of the bed end sts when
using the K carriage, which jammed the L carriage when I tried to run
it across from left to right. Since I had to cut the work off to free
up the L carriage on jams, I couldn't see the problem on the removed
swatches. I fixed the problem by doing what I do on my Bond, manually
pull up the yarn on the LHS until the needles caught the yarn when
using the K carriage, and it worked just fine after. Also, using
Crystal Palace Kid Merino (a lace-weight slightly hairy yarn), I found
that putting the L carriage on the fine lace setting (for a "normal
lace pattern"), and inserting the fine knitting bar that came with my
ribber helped the sts knit cleanly.

Leah

Brother KH-230 [email protected] Machine Knit 7 April 18th 05 01:29 AM
Little Brother... [email protected] General Crafting 2 March 31st 05 02:45 AM
brother 891 Sue Machine Knit 0 January 19th 05 09:23 PM
Brother 891 Sue Machine Knit 0 January 12th 05 06:19 PM
Brother KH-840 Lawman Machine Knit 0 October 15th 03 05:57 AM