Working with odd materials...

Old October 14th 04, 06:14 AM
Valerie

Default Working with odd materials...

Yet again the newbie is here to ask some questions. :-) Hope you all don't
mind.
I saw on a knitting show today about knitting with plastic grocery bags. The
end result was so neat and I loved the idea. But that got me thinking about
knitting with things other than yarn and the usual things. My question is,
is what fiber/thread/whatever that isn't "usual" have you knitted or
crocheted with before?

Valerie

Old October 14th 04, 07:41 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Welcome Valerie ....
ropes , rags, telephone wires , shoe laces , silver threads , soft
grape vines ,,,,,knitted it crocheted wove and coiled ,,,,if it is
soft enough ......
mirjam

Old October 14th 04, 04:03 PM
Kirsten Procter

In article ,
Valerie wrote:

But that got me thinking about
knitting with things other than yarn and the usual things. My question is,
is what fiber/thread/whatever that isn't "usual" have you knitted or
crocheted with before?

Good question! For me it's strawberry bootlaces. A friend of mine was
having a birthday party with a theme of 'bad taste' so I made her the
edible knickers from Knitty
(http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATT302calories.html). Actually, the
bootlaces made quite a nice looking fabric.

--
Kirsten Procter ghoti
Current projects; 2 blankets, various gifts
Old October 14th 04, 07:36 PM
Aud

"Kirsten Procter" skrev i melding
In article ,
Valerie wrote:

Good question! For me it's strawberry bootlaces. A friend of mine was
having a birthday party with a theme of 'bad taste' so I made her the
edible knickers from Knitty
(http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATT302calories.html). Actually, the
bootlaces made quite a nice looking fabric.

LOL! And NO bad taste as far as I know!!!
AUD ;-))

Old October 14th 04, 08:15 PM
Aud

"Valerie" skrev i melding
news
Yet again the newbie is here to ask some questions. :-) Hope you all

don't
mind.
I saw on a knitting show today about knitting with plastic grocery

bags. The
end result was so neat and I loved the idea. But that got me thinking

about
knitting with things other than yarn and the usual things. My question

is,
is what fiber/thread/whatever that isn't "usual" have you knitted or
crocheted with before?

Valerie

I have woven and crocheted with different types of fishing yarn, thin,
thick modern and very oldfashioned and smeared with tar.I have used
"plummer fiber" and
"something" we can find on trees
http://tinyurl.com/54qhe and
http://tinyurl.com/3q43u
don't know what it is in english.I have used bath chain(??) in the sink
he http://www.touristphoto.no/images/lo...bles/los24.jpg.
I have picked beautiful small stones at the beaches otf the westcoast of
Ireland, glued small "eyes" or hooks on them (from silver threads,LOL!)
so I was able to weave them into a project I worked with.(Irish beads,
you know :-)
I have not used any of these in knitting, but I am sure the most of it
will work out for decorative effects, or to give it a special
expression.
May be we should give eachother a little challenge for the first project
in 2005: Use odd materials and make odd or special products, woven,
knitted, crocheted or whatever?? Then present them here with a picture?
Just a "flying" thought!
AUD ;-))

Old October 14th 04, 08:18 PM
Aud

"Aud" skrev i melding
"something" we can find on trees
http://tinyurl.com/54qhe and
http://tinyurl.com/3q43u

THE LAST ONE IS WRONG: Try this: http://tinyurl.com/6kbr2
Aud;-))

Old October 14th 04, 08:57 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Valerie"
wrote:

Yet again the newbie is here to ask some questions. :-) Hope you all don't
mind.
I saw on a knitting show today about knitting with plastic grocery bags. The
end result was so neat and I loved the idea. But that got me thinking about
knitting with things other than yarn and the usual things. My question is,
is what fiber/thread/whatever that isn't "usual" have you knitted or
crocheted with before?

Valerie

Valerie a great question. I have worked with recycled T-shirts from our
three kids and put them "under foot" so to say. I cut all the shirts in
to strips, set up a warp on my loom, and weave chenille strips. These are
cut apart after weaving and then rewoven into a rug.....It lasts and lasts
and lasts. This neat pile rug lays on the floor in our bathroom. The
kids are finally listening to us....LOL

With the same strips you can knit as well. I have made several very good
hot pot trivets and they last as well

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old October 14th 04, 10:39 PM
Penny Gaines

Valerie wrote in :

Yet again the newbie is here to ask some questions. :-) Hope you all don't
mind.
I saw on a knitting show today about knitting with plastic grocery bags.
The end result was so neat and I loved the idea. But that got me thinking
about knitting with things other than yarn and the usual things. My
question is, is what fiber/thread/whatever that isn't "usual" have you
knitted or crocheted with before?

I know someone who uses old pairs of tights for making rugs. She cuts the
legs in a spiral (does that make sense: she starts at the toe, and cuts
a strip about 0.5 inches wide as if circling the leg). I've seen several
different styles: sometimes you crotchets the whole thing, sometimes she
makes a mesh, and weaves the tights in.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three

Old October 15th 04, 06:04 AM
Valerie

:-O Wow...that's all I can say. I didn't even know you could do that!

--
RCB FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/faqrcb
RCB Member Links newest home: http://www.blackcatbeads.com/rcb.htm

"Kirsten Procter" wrote in message
In article ,
Valerie wrote:

But that got me thinking about
knitting with things other than yarn and the usual things. My question

is,
is what fiber/thread/whatever that isn't "usual" have you knitted or
crocheted with before?

Good question! For me it's strawberry bootlaces. A friend of mine was
having a birthday party with a theme of 'bad taste' so I made her the
edible knickers from Knitty
(http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATT302calories.html). Actually, the
bootlaces made quite a nice looking fabric.

--
Kirsten Procter ghoti
Current projects; 2 blankets, various gifts

what is everyone working on? Beadseeker Beads 63 January 10th 05 05:28 AM
Working hight? Kendall Davies Jewelry 8 August 28th 04 03:35 AM
Working on Designer Jewelry Jewelerman Jewelry 2 May 15th 04 09:03 PM
Working mullioned windows Cathy Weeks Doll Houses 1 February 22nd 04 10:36 AM
Barter Building Materials for Beads? Grant Beads 2 February 1st 04 12:36 AM