Stamping on Satin?

Old July 8th 03, 05:00 AM
Breathe

Default Stamping on Satin?

Hello all, me again!

I picked up some white satin gloves CHEAP ($2 a pair) from the wedding aisle
at WalMart this week, thought it'd be fun to try some projects with them. I
have a couple in mind, but I'm not sure which inks would work best. I don't
have a pair in front of me, but they may be the nylon-satin-stuff they use.

I have at my disposal some Adirondack inks, Ranger Archivals, Fresco chalks,
and a few miscellanious odds and ends, as well as art inks, pigment ink
pads, daubers (pigment), and your basic generic dye inks. And I do have a
couple of fabric ink pads, but they're bright colored, and I want to go
antiqued look--it's hard to find anything "antiqued" or muted in fabric
inks, unfortuntately.

Any suggestions? Do you think tea/coffee staining them for aging would work
well?

Thank you!

K/B

Old July 8th 03, 07:30 AM
Pat Kight

Breathe wrote:
Hello all, me again!

I picked up some white satin gloves CHEAP ($2 a pair) from the wedding aisle
at WalMart this week, thought it'd be fun to try some projects with them. I
have a couple in mind, but I'm not sure which inks would work best. I don't
have a pair in front of me, but they may be the nylon-satin-stuff they use.

I have at my disposal some Adirondack inks, Ranger Archivals, Fresco chalks,
and a few miscellanious odds and ends, as well as art inks, pigment ink
pads, daubers (pigment), and your basic generic dye inks. And I do have a
couple of fabric ink pads, but they're bright colored, and I want to go
antiqued look--it's hard to find anything "antiqued" or muted in fabric
inks, unfortuntately.

I'm not sure you'll get great results on satin - I'd imagine the weave
would encourage dye-inks to bleed. You might try Colorbox Crafters' ink
or some other heat-setting pigment-based ink which would be likely to
stay put better. Heat carefully; if they're synthetic, they may melt.

Any suggestions? Do you think tea/coffee staining them for aging would work
well?

You could try, but don't be surprised if the stain washes right out.
Cheap synthetics are basically plastic, and it's hard to get them to dye
evenly.

--
Pat Kight