artisan knitting machine question

Old April 2nd 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Default artisan knitting machine question

I'm doing fair aisle with a punch card, fairly new at this. I did the back
of the sweater and now halfway up the front, the second yarn stops knitting.
It just floats across the fabric. Anyone know why it stopped knitting? The
main yarn continues to knit. The second yarn will sometimes knit halfway
across but mostly not at all.

Old April 2nd 06, 12:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

toypup wrote:
I'm doing fair aisle with a punch card, fairly new at this. I did the back
of the sweater and now halfway up the front, the second yarn stops knitting.
It just floats across the fabric. Anyone know why it stopped knitting? The
main yarn continues to knit. The second yarn will sometimes knit halfway
across but mostly not at all.

Make sure that it is in the slot on the carriage where it belongs, and
that the tension on the yarn is not too tight. Sometimes yarn gets
caught somewhere on the path from cone to carriage and doesn't have
enough slack to knit in.

--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth
Old April 2nd 06, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

This may sound stupid but are you sure the second yarn in properly threaded
through the yarn feeder? Are the needles for the contrast color pulled out
to the correct position? That's all I can think of. Shannon (Ontario,
Canada)

Old April 2nd 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

"Shannon" wrote in message
This may sound stupid but are you sure the second yarn in properly
threaded through the yarn feeder? Are the needles for the contrast color
pulled out to the correct position? That's all I can think of. Shannon
(Ontario, Canada)

Thanks for the replies. It was properly threaded. I gave up and started
over. Halfway through, I had to unravel and the problem started again.
Thinking about it, the first time I unravelled was when it all started, so I
figure it was the tension, but I couldn't figure out how to get the tension
just right after unravelling. I tried cutting and tying the loose yarn to
end of the piece near the carriage so that it was mostly pulling from the
cone instead of loose yarn off the floor and that worked.

Old April 2nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

toypup wrote:
"Shannon" wrote in message

This may sound stupid but are you sure the second yarn in properly
threaded through the yarn feeder? Are the needles for the contrast color
pulled out to the correct position? That's all I can think of. Shannon
(Ontario, Canada)

Thanks for the replies. It was properly threaded. I gave up and started
over. Halfway through, I had to unravel and the problem started again.
Thinking about it, the first time I unravelled was when it all started, so I
figure it was the tension, but I couldn't figure out how to get the tension
just right after unravelling. I tried cutting and tying the loose yarn to
end of the piece near the carriage so that it was mostly pulling from the
cone instead of loose yarn off the floor and that worked.

Good thinking! You do need tension on the yarns as they feed - but
neither too much nor too little. The need for tension will be
different when doing fair isle, then for plain knitting, and different
again for tuck stitch, and of course, different for ribbing.

Part of this is getting to know your machine. Pulling from the cone for
tension is a temporary fix because as the cone becomes smaller, the
"pull" changes. Mainly, you want to have the yarn feeding freely from
the cone, then apply tension as it passes through the tension wheel on
the mast. When this is set the way it works best, make a note of the
yarn, the stitch, and the tension number in a little notebook for future
reference.

Good luck with your knitting.

Old April 2nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

"Pogonip" wrote in message
toypup wrote:
Thanks for the replies. It was properly threaded. I gave up and started
over. Halfway through, I had to unravel and the problem started again.
Thinking about it, the first time I unravelled was when it all started,
so I figure it was the tension, but I couldn't figure out how to get the
tension just right after unravelling. I tried cutting and tying the
loose yarn to end of the piece near the carriage so that it was mostly
pulling from the cone instead of loose yarn off the floor and that
worked.

Good thinking! You do need tension on the yarns as they feed - but
neither too much nor too little. The need for tension will be different
when doing fair isle, then for plain knitting, and different again for
tuck stitch, and of course, different for ribbing.

The yarn does seem to flow freely from the cone, so I'm not really sure why
my fix worked, except maybe it's really sensitive to tension? I do use a
tension wheel and everything. It goes through the tension wheel and
everything was the same before and after my fix. I don't know what it is,
but I'm glad my fix worked.

Old April 3rd 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

toypup wrote:

The yarn does seem to flow freely from the cone, so I'm not really sure why
my fix worked, except maybe it's really sensitive to tension? I do use a
tension wheel and everything. It goes through the tension wheel and
everything was the same before and after my fix. I don't know what it is,
but I'm glad my fix worked.

Did I mention that sometimes it's the way you hold your mouth? There
are gremlins in every knitting machine I've ever had or used, and they
are sensitive to some unusual things -- at least that's the conclusion
I've drawn. Others may have a different opinion.......
Old April 3rd 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

Pogonip wrote:

toypup wrote:

The yarn does seem to flow freely from the cone, so I'm not really sure why
my fix worked, except maybe it's really sensitive to tension? I do use a
tension wheel and everything. It goes through the tension wheel and
everything was the same before and after my fix. I don't know what it is,
but I'm glad my fix worked.

Did I mention that sometimes it's the way you hold your mouth? There
are gremlins in every knitting machine I've ever had or used, and they
are sensitive to some unusual things -- at least that's the conclusion
I've drawn. Others may have a different opinion.......

It's not just me, then?
Old April 3rd 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.machine-knit

S Viemeister wrote:
Pogonip wrote:

Did I mention that sometimes it's the way you hold your mouth? There
are gremlins in every knitting machine I've ever had or used, and they
are sensitive to some unusual things -- at least that's the conclusion
I've drawn. Others may have a different opinion.......

It's not just me, then?

No, no, not at all! Sometimes I find it helps to sacrifice some yarn,
which I don't mind if it's yarn I'm not too fond of.

--
Joanne
stitches @ singerlady.reno.nv.us.earth

sewing machinery sewing machinery Beads 0 March 27th 06 03:25 PM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Yarn 0 March 22nd 06 09:04 AM
sewing machinery sewing machinery Yarn 0 March 22nd 06 09:03 AM
FAQ for RCTQ Dec 2005 frood Quilting 6 December 8th 05 02:30 AM
Midgauge Knitting Machine Artisan 70D for saleArtisan 70D Mid Gauge knitting machine for sale as is. The row Keetza Machine Knit 0 October 21st 03 06:40 PM