materials for knitting socks

Old May 20th 12, 01:07 AM
talenknot talenknot is offline
Banned

Default materials for knitting socks

I wanted to start a knitting project and knit socks for my entire family, but I'm a bit new when it comes to yarn (most of my projects have mainly been in sewing :P). I've shopped around at both offline and online sites such as these, and found that yarn comes in a variety of different materials (cotton, wool, and even alpaca). What would be the best type of material for knitting socks? Thanks in advance!
Old May 20th 12, 02:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Nyssa

(http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-lion.html), and found
that yarn comes in a variety of different materials (cotton,
wool, and even alpaca). What would be the best type of material
for knitting socks? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to what's left of the newsgroup. :/

Usually a wool-nylon blend yarn is best for socks because of its
warmth and wearing ability, but since some people can't wear wool,
there are also acrylic and cotton yarns suitable for making socks.

The weight of the yarn will depend on the pattern and what type
of sock you want. Most are done in a fingering weight (sometimes
labeled "sock yarn") or sport weight yarn. I've made socks with
Aran weight yarn (heavy worsted weight), but those were supposed
to be heavy kilt hose meant for really cold weather.

There are tons of possibilities out there including sock yarn that's
been space-dyed so it's self-striping. Probably the best bet would
be to find a simple sock design and pattern you like, then see
what type of yarn and weight it recommends. Once you've got a few
pairs of socks started and finished, you'll get a better feel for
what works for you and what you and your family like for future
projects.

Be sure to check around the web for sites that offer step-by-step
photos and instructions in knitting your first sock. That or a
very good sock knitting book with lots of illustrations are invaluable
for walking you through the mysteries of that first sock, turning
a heel, and the Kitchener stitch for finishing the toe.

Good luck!

Nyssa, who has a ton of sock yarn in her stash but is presently hooked
on doing knitted lace stuff instead

Old May 21st 12, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 20 May 2012 01:07:41 +0100, talenknot
wrote:

What would be the best type of material for knitting socks?

I use pure wool exclusively. Worsted wool wears best. You get the
longest-wearing wool by buying yarn meant for embroidery.

Instead of heel stitch, I work the heel flaps in the "salt and pepper"
pattern of stranded knitting -- usually speckled because I have a
terrible time keeping two yarns of the same color alternating properly
-- and then switch to what I call "festive knitting" (after a pattern
in one of Mary Thomas's books). I change to plain knitting by leaving
a stitch off at each end to taper the thick part to a point, which
avoids ruffles where the gauge changes.

To work festive knitting, work stranded one round. On the next round,
slip all the stitches that should be worked with the other yarn, then
purl back with the other yarn. The other yarn should follow the main
yarn in both directions, because the second yarn knitted lies on top
of the first yarn knitted, you get vague rumples if the yarns don't
follow the same way on every row, and it isn't convenient to do the
purling before the knitting.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Any advertisement linked to one of my words
was linked without my permission
and is probably a scam.
Old May 21st 12, 05:05 PM
talenknot talenknot is offline
Banned

Ah, thanks for the tips Joy and Nyssa. This definitely helps out a lot!
Old May 26th 12, 05:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected]

On Monday, May 21, 2012 3:35:14 AM UTC+3, Joy Beeson wrote:

I would advice pure wool, but strength the heels with another thread, man made threads do not absorb sweat as well as wool .
mirjam

knitting socks Jennym Yarn 4 March 9th 12 08:01 AM
knitting socks Spike Yarn 3 July 21st 09 11:51 PM
As a socks Manufacturer in the sock capital of the world, We export Sports Socks, Dress soxmaker Yarn 0 September 15th 07 09:21 AM
Those Lithuanian socks from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks book spampot Yarn 1 September 29th 06 05:38 AM