Are some gemstones too fragile for every day use?

Old March 27th 09, 02:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
George Mauer

Default Are some gemstones too fragile for every day use?

Hello,
I am looking for an engagement ring and I've determined that my price-
range ($1500) should be enough to allow me to get a decent mounting
with a nice bling-y semi-precious stone. Probably I would like
something large, shiny and purple or pink.

I've been talking to a lot of jewelers about this and one recommended
to me that for an engagement ring that will be worn daily I should not
do amethyst or kunzite, or topaz because these are too fragile and
will scuff and chip with every day use. Out of the stones that we
discussed she basically only recommended sapphire, diamonds, and
moisannite (ok, ruby too but thats way out of my range).

In your opinion, is that a fair assessment or is that just her opinion
that will vary from jeweler to jeweler?

Thanks so much for helping me out.
Old March 30th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
m4816k

"George Mauer" wrote in message
Hello,
I am looking for an engagement ring and I've determined that my price-
range ($1500) should be enough to allow me to get a decent mounting
with a nice bling-y semi-precious stone. Probably I would like
something large, shiny and purple or pink.

I've been talking to a lot of jewelers about this and one recommended
to me that for an engagement ring that will be worn daily I should not
do amethyst or kunzite, or topaz because these are too fragile and
will scuff and chip with every day use. Out of the stones that we
discussed she basically only recommended sapphire, diamonds, and
moisannite (ok, ruby too but thats way out of my range).

In your opinion, is that a fair assessment or is that just her opinion
that will vary from jeweler to jeweler?

Thanks so much for helping me out.

I would agree with her and maybe add spinel to the list - it's quite durable
and availabe in both pink and purple. But I'm not a professional, so feel
free to ask around.

database 3973 (20090329) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old March 31st 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
George Mauer

Hope this helps.

Peter Rowe

Wow. Boy does it help! Thank you so much Peter and m4816, today's
going to be a far more informed trip to the jewlers.

Old March 31st 09, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 11:31:09 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry George Mauer
wrote:

Wow. Boy does it help! Thank you so much Peter and m4816, today's
going to be a far more informed trip to the jewlers.

You're welcome. By the way, it's spelled "jewelers". Missing that "e" makes it
look, well, odd. Almost ... well... ( oh never mind.. :-) )
Old April 1st 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
George Mauer

wrote:
Wow. *Boy does it help! *Thank you so much Peter and m4816, today's
going to be a far more informed trip to the jewlers.

You're welcome. *By the way, it's spelled "jewelers". *Missing that "e" makes it
look, well, odd. *Almost ... well... * ( oh never mind.. :-) *)

Darn spell check, didn't notice the little red line this time.
Old April 1st 09, 04:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:23:26 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry George Mauer
wrote:

Darn spell check, didn't notice the little red line this time.

On my news/mail client (forte agent), the spell check isn't real time. You have
to actually use it before hitting send. Easy to forget. Also easy to let it
correct errors, only find afterwards that it got the spelling right for wrong
usages, so the correctly spelled words are grammatically odd. Ya just can't win
sometimes.

cheers

Peter
Old April 1st 09, 04:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 20:22:36 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry robynahawk
wrote:

George - I think you have a Jeweler that actually knows her stuff!

This is a link to a Wikipedia Article on the Mohs Scale of Hardness:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_sc...neral_hardness

One thing to keep in mind about mohs hardenss is that it's simply an order, not
a good linear scale. Diamond, at 10, is some 40 times harder than sapphire at
9, depending on how you measure it. And sapphire is harder than beryl by more
than the interval between quartz and topaz. Also, hardness is only the measure
of how easily the stone can be scratched. It is not the same as toughness, or
the resistance to chipping and breaking. Spinel, for example, is a bit softer
than sapphire, but it's a good deal tougher and harder to chip. One can
illustrate the difference with a piece of glass, and a piece of plastic like
nylon. A sharp corner on the glass easily scratches the softer nylon. But drop
them both on the floor, and the plastic bounces while the glass shatters.
Topaz, as you note, is harder than quartz. But it's not as tough, what with a
perfect cleavage direction.

When looking for a stone that you want to wear daily - this should be
your FIRST resource.

Kunzite is a 6.5 - so too soft for everyday wear. If you knock on
something it tends to get small feathery fractures inside the stone.
When it was introduced (by Tiffany's) it was referred to as the
"Evening Stone" as it shouldn't be exposed to sun for extended
periods - the color has a tendency to fade.

Not just a tendancy. It WILL fade, though how fast depends on the intensity of
the light and the duration. Also, like topaz, it too has a direction of perfect
cleavage (this is a direction through some types of crytals along which it's
much easier to split the crystal.)

Quartz (Amethyst) is a 7 - and while it would hold up to frequent wear
- it can get scratched up - but then too it is fairly inexpensive and
could be replaced when the stone starts to show wear.

Topaz is an 8 - the only Topaz that will show wear is the Vapor
Deposition Treated "Mystic" varieties as it is a surface treatment.
Again - cheap enough to replace.

Some is cheap. In the pinkish tones, you can get into the so-called "imperial"
topaz, which depending on quality and size, can get at least into the hundreds
of dollars per karat. Still likely within the budget, but I don't think I'd
call them all exactly cheap. Also, though they are an 8 in hardness, their
slight brittleness and that cleavage direction does make them vulnerable to
chipping and breakage, even if they don't get too scratched up.

Interesting she didn't mention the Beryl Family - also an 8 but more
of them are natural colors so less chance of getting that worn look -
maybe she just doesn't have any Morganite (more of a peachy pink).

Good call. I forgot that one too. Morganites aren't as common as some, nor are
they a bright pink, but they are indeed pretty, and so long as you stay out of
top quality aquamarines, or any decent quality of emerald, they can be
affordable. Personally, I like the golden beryls better. Bright clean lively
golden colors, and not excessively priced.

As the previous posters have mentioned Spinel is an excellent option -
but I have to disagree with Peter - I don't think that Alexandrite is
in your price range. However - since you were considering a
synthetic stone in Moissanite you may want to look at the Russian Lab
Grown Alexandrite - you can get the showy size you are looking for
with the added bonus of "color change"!

I didn't imply that natural alexandrite was in the price range. I said they're
costly. I might have added that in the finest qualities, they can be among the
most costly gems you'll find around, if indeed you can even locate a stone in
those rare qualities. You can find moderatly priced ones on the net, but
frankly, most of them are somewhat less than stunning in appearance. And I'm
being tactful with that characterization.... :-) However, as you note, you CAN
find good and attractive synthetic alexandrite. The russian ones are nice, as
you mention. Personally, I also quite like the Chatham ones. as well. Maybe
it's just that "made in the U.S." thing right now... But Tom Chatham is a neat
guy, and no doubt appreciates the business.

Other inexpensive and showy looks might be a Malaya Garnet - pinky
purple - or a Rubellite Tourmaline!

Go to your bookstore - get a copy of Gemstones of the World by Walter
Schumann (short sweet and easy to read) - and do some research!

Another good call. There are also many good sites on the net with decent
gemological info for free. Be a bit wary of any who are coupling it with a
strong attempt to sell you gems, but nevertheless, there's a lot of good
gemological info on the net. Wikipedia has a goodly amount, for example.

Peter
Old April 1st 09, 11:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
charles

wrote:

Darn spell check, didn't notice the little red line this time.

On my news/mail client (forte agent), the spell check isn't real time. You have
to actually use it before hitting send. Easy to forget. Also easy to let it
correct errors, only find afterwards that it got the spelling right for wrong
usages, so the correctly spelled words are grammatically odd. Ya just can't win
sometimes.

cheers

Peter

There's an option to always spell check before sending any message.

In FA 2.00 it is under optionsgeneral preferencesspell checking.

Old April 1st 09, 11:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
m4816k

"Graver" wrote in message

On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 18:09:56 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry George Mauer
wrote:

Hello,
I am looking for an engagement ring and I've determined that my price-
range ($1500) should be enough to allow me to get a decent mounting
with a nice bling-y semi-precious stone. Probably I would like
something large, shiny and purple or pink.

(snip)

George,

You'd be suprised at what you can find on Ebay in the way of
Sapphires, I've purchased some beautiful yellow, as well as flawless
reds that in reality are in the same family as Rubies. I've purchased
1/2 carat Moissanite for very good prices that make a great look. I
think you should stay with round stones, as they'll have more settings
for you to choose from, and also you'll get the most flash from a
brillant round cut.

Just some thoughts.

Graver,

I wouldn't recommend anyone who's not overly familiar with the subject of
gemstones, to buy them from Ebay. There are indeed some wonderful offers and
great prices, but also quite a lot of folks who are waiting for uninformed
buyers. With today's level of treatments and imitations used to sell
gemstones (or "gemstones"), I'd be very cautious. IMO, for any gem newbie
it's more important who you buy from, than what you buy.

Quilts - fragile? Polly Esther[_5_] Quilting 4 January 22nd 09 04:46 AM
Cut Your Own Gemstones Dave[_3_] Beads 0 October 17th 07 11:36 PM
GEMSTONES FROM RUSSIA ebaygifts Beads 0 April 8th 07 03:53 PM
Gemstones for Sale Tking Marketplace 0 October 6th 06 02:44 AM
OT - a fragile stability achieved Queen of Squishies Quilting 40 April 11th 05 12:56 AM