Fixing crystals to wood...

Old July 12th 05, 04:09 PM
VinceF

Default Fixing crystals to wood...

Hi there, looking for some help. I am wondering if anyone knows of a
good way to fix Swarovski crystals in wood. I have a wooden jewellery
box that I would like to put pink initials with Swarovski crystals on
the top. At the moment it is a high shine lacquer finish. Any help would
be great. I don't really want to set the crystals in metal then fix the
setting to the wood. I am looking for something like a glue, I guess,
but my wife has the idea to sew the crystals to fabric then glue the
fabric. Anyway, please help!

Old July 13th 05, 04:04 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:09:26 GMT, VinceF wrote:

Hi there, looking for some help. I am wondering if anyone knows of a
good way to fix Swarovski crystals in wood. I have a wooden jewellery
box that I would like to put pink initials with Swarovski crystals on
the top. At the moment it is a high shine lacquer finish. Any help would
be great. I don't really want to set the crystals in metal then fix the
setting to the wood. I am looking for something like a glue, I guess,
but my wife has the idea to sew the crystals to fabric then glue the
fabric. Anyway, please help!

Get the flat back crystals and glue them on.

--
Marilee J. Layman

Old July 13th 05, 05:15 AM
mbstevens

VinceF wrote:
Hi there, looking for some help. I am wondering if anyone knows of a
good way to fix Swarovski crystals in wood. I have a wooden jewellery
box that I would like to put pink initials with Swarovski crystals on
the top. At the moment it is a high shine lacquer finish. Any help would
be great.

You can set enamels and some larger stones mechanically in wood.
You use two layers of wood, one as a backing, the second
has holes with walls that narrow toward the outside.
(Rather like band-saw box technique.)
The layers are glued together, trapping the stone or enamel.
The technique works best if a band saw is used to saw a piece of wood
into two layers, then the two pieces are put back together after holes
have been made in one of the pieces. The joint is hard to see.

I don't really want to set the crystals in metal then fix the
setting to the wood.

Too bad. I think it can be more effective than the previous
method. You can use the connectors as decorative elements.
--
mbstevens

Old July 13th 05, 08:00 AM
LazyRaptor

If you have a drill press, you could set chaton style crystals by using
a stone setting bur to drill the setting, then just epoxy the crystal
in place. This would be more durable than gluing flat-backs to the
surface of the lacquered wood.

Old July 13th 05, 08:52 AM
VinceF

Marilee J. Layman wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 15:09:26 GMT, VinceF wrote:

Hi there, looking for some help. I am wondering if anyone knows of a
good way to fix Swarovski crystals in wood. I have a wooden jewellery
box that I would like to put pink initials with Swarovski crystals on
the top. At the moment it is a high shine lacquer finish. Any help would
be great. I don't really want to set the crystals in metal then fix the
setting to the wood. I am looking for something like a glue, I guess,
but my wife has the idea to sew the crystals to fabric then glue the
fabric. Anyway, please help!

Get the flat back crystals and glue them on.

What is the best kind of glue? I want something strong and reliable, but
as clear and 'invisible' as possible.

Old July 13th 05, 09:02 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 00:52:07 -0700, in Tõ VinceF wrote:

What is the best kind of glue? I want something strong and reliable, but
as clear and 'invisible' as possible.

For gluing glass or metallic (such as the mirrored backings on the flat crystals
you might be using) to something porous, like wood, probably your best bet will be
any decent epoxy. The trick to invisible is simply don't use more than needed.
It doesn't need to squeeze out from behind the crystal. Hot melt glues (glue gun
type) is also reasonably good, but tends to be messy to use really cleanly. Some
super glues, the gel types, are fine on wood, but I generally prefer epoxies,
especially if the wood is one of the more exotic oily types. And the E-6000 craft
glues, a somewhat rubbery tough evaporation drying glue is also remarkably strong
for this type of joint. "Goop" is another glue that's essentially similar to the
E-6000, which you might find in your hardware store in one of several "flavors",
sold for automotive trim repairs, shoe repairs, or others. If using epoxy, be
sure you've got the two componants measures so they're as close to being the same
amount of each resin as possible. And the longer setting versions, two hour and
up, tend to be stronger and perhaps easier to use for multiple glue joints, than
the quick 5 minute types. Hughes company makes a couple epoxies especially for
jewelry use, Epoxy 330 and Epoxy 220, that are both excellent. The first is more
colorless, the second somewhat amber in color, but a stronger joint and slightly
slower setting. Either would work very well. But even hardware store brands like
Devcon 2-ton, or others, should work just fine too, for this use. Whichever glue
you use, be sure surfaces are clean, or you're only bonding to the layer of dirt
or grease, etc.

Also, with various crystal types, if you want bright reflectivity, you'll want a
type that has a mirrored backing on the crystal. Flat ones or facet cut types are
available like this, sometimes called "foilbacks". The reason is that glue
changes the optics of the back glass surfaces if they're not backed like that, and
pretty much destroys the ability of back surfaces of the crystal to reflect light
back to the viewer. So the foil backed types avoid this problem, and remain fully
bright and reflective, if this is the effect you want.

HTH

Peter Rowe
Old July 13th 05, 09:03 AM
Rick Cook

VinceF wrote:
Hi there, looking for some help. I am wondering if anyone knows of a
good way to fix Swarovski crystals in wood. I have a wooden jewellery
box that I would like to put pink initials with Swarovski crystals on
the top. At the moment it is a high shine lacquer finish. Any help would
be great. I don't really want to set the crystals in metal then fix the
setting to the wood. I am looking for something like a glue, I guess,
but my wife has the idea to sew the crystals to fabric then glue the
fabric. Anyway, please help!

Clear epoxy, but you may need to prepare the contact areas between the
crystals and the box by scuffing them first. There are some more
demanding methods like insetting the crystals in the wood, but they
typically still involve some kind of adhesive.

--RC

Old July 13th 05, 04:06 PM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Everyone has already given you great advice. I'll add 2 small things.
You could try silicone sealer. Like the type used for aquariums.
Somewhat flexible yet tough bond that is clear in small (thin) amounts.
Why not get 2-3 glues, some scrap glass or porcelain pieces and do your
own test on some scrap wood? See what you like to work with and which is
most pleasing to look at.

Carl

Rick Cook wrote:
VinceF wrote:

Hi there, looking for some help. I am wondering if anyone knows of a
good way to fix Swarovski crystals in wood. I have a wooden jewellery
box that I would like to put pink initials with Swarovski crystals on
the top. At the moment it is a high shine lacquer finish. Any help would
be great. I don't really want to set the crystals in metal then fix the
setting to the wood. I am looking for something like a glue, I guess,
but my wife has the idea to sew the crystals to fabric then glue the
fabric. Anyway, please help!

Clear epoxy, but you may need to prepare the contact areas between the
crystals and the box by scuffing them first. There are some more
demanding methods like insetting the crystals in the wood, but they
typically still involve some kind of adhesive.

--RC

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

Old July 14th 05, 02:57 AM
LazyRaptor

If you want to use E6000 instead of epoxy, I would strongly recommend
that you get the one-ounce size tubes *and* some nozzles (which can be
used with either the one-ounce tubes or the larger 3.7 oz tubes). The
small tubes are *much* easier to hold and manipulate when gluing many
small objects. Similarly, the nozzles make an enormous difference when
attempting to place very small dabs of glue. You can get both the small
tubes and the nozzles from www.firemountaingems.com, stock numbers
H142080TL and H141582TL.

Something to be aware of is that certain adhesives will attack the
metal foil on foil-back crystals, therefore it would be very wise to
experiment first. Epoxies and E6000 are safe to use.

Another reason for using the drill press and stone setting bur method
is that you can use a computer and appropriate software (I use
Microsoft Publisher for this purpose) to lay out the design of the
initials perfectly, with black dots overlaid on the initials to show
where you'll be drilling each setting. Then print out the design and
lay it onto the box to check how it'll look and fit before drilling.

This method allows you to do the initials in fancy script or any other
type face too. When you're ready, temporarily fix the paper in place on
top of the box with rubber cement (experimenting first on a tiny area
on the bottom to be sure the rubber cement doesn't harm the lacquer)
and start drilling the settings.

Note that if you precisely control the size of the black dots, it gives
you an exact indication of how deep to drill the settings; stop just at
the point where the bur drills away the black dot. And putting a tiny
white dot in the center of each black dot gives you the precise
location to start the bur.

If you don't have a drill press, Sears sells a really nice 9" model for
only about a hundred bucks. If you do this kind of thing even
occasionally, a drill press is a very good investment.

Old July 17th 05, 06:06 AM
Spike

hi;
i'm a woodworking machinist, i also make polished gems.
what i would do is compress the wood, with a a piece of wood.
and use crazy glue.
take care,
andy

Fixing crystals in wood VinceF Beads 2 July 14th 05 01:27 PM
HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 01:28 PM
Storing fabric in wood containers? muse9 Quilting 17 October 1st 04 11:32 AM
Tiny wood fired kiln? Sarah Hembree Pottery 11 May 27th 04 03:06 PM
incorporating wood? Bart V Glass 5 February 24th 04 06:56 AM