Kilns anyone?

Old December 5th 03, 02:57 AM
Marlene DeLugish

Default Kilns anyone?

Hi ..... I am interested in getting a fused glass kiln of my own. Does
anyone have suggestions as to which one is better ..... Paragon, Evenheat,
Cress ??? I really would like one with a digital timer so I don't have to
sit and watch it every minute ....... Any suggestions would be helpful
.... The kiln will be used mostly for making jewelry so I don't need anything
monstrous!

Thanks
Marlene

Old December 5th 03, 10:30 AM
suzilem

"Marlene DeLugish" wrote in message
Hi ..... I am interested in getting a fused glass kiln of my own. Does
anyone have suggestions as to which one is better ..... Paragon, Evenheat,
Cress ??? I really would like one with a digital timer so I don't have

sit and watch it every minute ....... Any suggestions would be helpful
... The kiln will be used mostly for making jewelry so I don't need

anything
monstrous!

I have a Paragon Caldera. 8x8x8 cavity, digital controller. Easy to
program, very dependable, reproducible results. According to the engineers
at work (local electric utility) given the current draw from the kiln and
how long it takes to fire, firing a shelf costs me about $0.25 in
electricity (another advantage of a small, energy efficient kiln). I can
add the accessory layer with a door for annealing beads if I want. My only
quibble is that now I need to buy a house so that I have room for a larger
kiln. I can make candy dishes (3.25" or 5.25" mold) in the Caldera, but I
wanna make plates and bowls! :-) There's a kiln with a 14" diameter cavity
available that runs on regular house current (110). However, if I situate
that kiln in the kitchen where the table for my baby 8" kiln is presently
located, I won't be able to open the oven or refrigerator doors. Hmmmm.
food or glass????

:-)

Old December 5th 03, 02:34 PM
Charles Spitzer

check out http://warmglass.com for lots of discussions on this topic.
there's also reference links to various kiln manufacturers and sellers on
that site.

Old December 5th 03, 05:00 PM
Kimberlee

I'm thinking glass and take-out?
~Kimberlee who dreams of owning a kiln one glorious day!

Old December 5th 03, 06:59 PM
nJb

--
Jack

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old December 6th 03, 12:19 AM
suzilem

"Kimberlee" wrote in message
I'm thinking glass and take-out?
~Kimberlee who dreams of owning a kiln one glorious day!

That's probably what I'll end up doing. Speaking of which, it's time to
order pizza. :-)

Right now, I'm firing the blank for a 3.25" square dish with a bluebonnet
center (using a whole lot of little tiny prefired dots to make the blossom).
I can't wait to see how it turns out. :-)

Old December 8th 03, 02:31 AM
suzilem

"suzilem" wrote in message
:
: "Kimberlee" wrote in message
: news:1070643612.717611@prawn...
: I'm thinking glass and take-out?
: ~Kimberlee who dreams of owning a kiln one glorious day!
:
:
:
: That's probably what I'll end up doing. Speaking of which, it's time to
: order pizza. :-)
:
: Right now, I'm firing the blank for a 3.25" square dish with a

bluebonnet
: center (using a whole lot of little tiny prefired dots to make the
blossom).
: I can't wait to see how it turns out. :-)
:
:
:

http://www.austinlastingimages.com/bluebonnetdish2.jpg

that's the 5.25" version of the 3.25" referenced above (the 3.25" ended up
being a sacrifice on the kilnshelf of the Elder Ghods)

Old December 8th 03, 10:18 PM
nJb

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 20:31:42 -0600, "suzilem"
wrote:

http://www.austinlastingimages.com/bluebonnetdish2.jpg

that's the 5.25" version of the 3.25" referenced above (the 3.25" ended up
being a sacrifice on the kilnshelf of the Elder Ghods)

Hey, we have something in common. Glass skills better than photo
skills. I mean that in a nice way. I can't see the corner colors.
Looks like maybe a green irid? Bluebonnet. State flower of Texas?

Old December 9th 03, 01:13 AM
suzilem

wrote:

http://www.austinlastingimages.com/bluebonnetdish2.jpg

that's the 5.25" version of the 3.25" referenced above (the 3.25" ended

up
being a sacrifice on the kilnshelf of the Elder Ghods)

Hey, we have something in common. Glass skills better than photo
skills. I mean that in a nice way. I can't see the corner colors.
Looks like maybe a green irid? Bluebonnet. State flower of Texas?
Jack

Edges are green iridescent, corners are adventurine green. Bluebonnet is
lime green opal (stem), adventurine (leaves), medium blue opal, dark cobalt
opal, white opal (bloom) (all Bullseye 90COE). Yup, it's a bluebonnet. And
I agree, the quality of the photo leaves quite a bit to be desired. :-)
btw, it's not the final picture -- as soon as I can get a better one it will
be replaced. My light diffuser that I use with my camera only handles
objects up to about a 4" diameter (I need to get a hole saw to cut the lens
hole in the top of my translucent cake carrier to make another diffuser).
Check out some of the jewelry shots on my website (
www.austinlastingimages.com ) and I hope you'll agree that the usual quality
of the shots is better when I can use the diffuser. Check out the rest of
my macro work on the photo page too as long as you're there. :-).

glass kilns in UK Jo Glass 4 August 17th 07 10:26 PM
Need advice/info about kilns for metal clay Peggy Beads 9 November 10th 04 05:19 PM
Kilns (Was What I am working on today.) Cheryl Beads 0 October 25th 04 04:33 AM
Kilns / Anyone in Zip 75149? CLP Beads 7 October 17th 03 03:44 AM
Kilns, Build or Buy R. Weisbloom Glass 2 August 10th 03 10:13 PM