valences for child's room

Old March 27th 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Myrna

Default valences for child's room

I'm considering making valences for a child's room. I have the Sunset
book that all of you recommended but I've been hesitant to try it.
First question: the theme is Finding Nemo. Can I buy the fabric that
I've seen in the local stores or do I need something better? Basically
I'm wondering if Wal Mart's fabric is good enough or should I be
looking for a better quality. Also can I get away without lining?

The windows are about 30 inches wide. What's the rule of thumb for
width of the valence? The rods are for rod pocket valences.

Thanks,
Myrna

Old March 27th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Myrna wrote:
I'm considering making valences for a child's room. I
have the Sunset book that all of you recommended but I've
been hesitant to try it. First question: the theme is
Finding Nemo. Can I buy the fabric that I've seen in the
local stores or do I need something better? Basically I'm
wondering if Wal Mart's fabric is good enough or should I
be looking for a better quality. Also can I get away
without lining?

JMHO, but children's room's decor gets changed as the child
matures, so I wouldn't put big $$$$s into fabric. If you find
the print you want at WalMart, go for it. As for lining, if the
window faces south or west, and gets a lot of direct sun, then I
would using lining, because I don't like my work to fall apart
from sun damage. But if you plan on replacing them within a
couple years, you can probably skip the lining.

The windows are about 30 inches wide. What's the rule of
thumb for width of the valence? The rods are for rod
pocket valences.

For a gather-on-the-rod curtain or valance, my preference is for
at *least* 1.5-to-1, but I prefer 2-to-1 or even more, depends on
the overall look I aim for.

HTH,

Beverly

Old March 27th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Sarah Dale

BEI Design wrote:

JMHO, but children's room's decor gets changed as the child
matures, so I wouldn't put big $$$$s into fabric. If you find
the print you want at WalMart, go for it. As for lining, if the
window faces south or west, and gets a lot of direct sun, then I
would using lining, because I don't like my work to fall apart
from sun damage. But if you plan on replacing them within a
couple years, you can probably skip the lining.

Picking up on Beverly's theme, I quite agree. However, (and I know you
said valances!) should you need the room to be dark for the child to
sleep properly - go for separate black out lining.

A separate black out lining can be hung with the main curtain - and can
be re-used when you redecorate.

Another thought - why not go with a basic colour theme, say blue and
white with touches of read - because that will last for many years, and
just add Finding Nemo touches, such as wall paper border, lampshade
etc.., so when the time comes,to change the design (as in "Mummy, Nemo
isn't cool any more, I want Disney Cars / Spiderman / whatever".....
whine whine whine.....), it's very simple and minimal effort. This will
also save precious $$'s.

HTh

Sarah
Old March 27th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Taria

I agree with you Bev. Kids grow so fast they want a different
decor pretty quick. If you line it will help give the fabric
a better look.
Usually twice the width is a nice look for
valances. Less might be more appropriate so you
can see the pattern/print better though.
Taria

Old March 28th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Taria wrote:
I agree with you Bev.

Thanks, Tar.

Beverly

Old March 30th 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
sewfine

On Mar 27, 11:57 am, "Myrna" wrote:
I'm considering making valences for a child's room. I have the Sunset
book that all of you recommended but I've been hesitant to try it.
First question: the theme is Finding Nemo. Can I buy the fabric that
I've seen in the local stores or do I need something better? Basically
I'm wondering if Wal Mart's fabric is good enough or should I be
looking for a better quality. Also can I get away without lining?

The windows are about 30 inches wide. What's the rule of thumb for
width of the valence? The rods are for rod pocket valences.

Thanks,
Myrna

Dear Myrna,

I do custom window treatments for a living, so I felt compelled to add
my two cents' worth! I would absolutely line the valance to ensure a
quality result. Drapery lining is not expensive, it doesn't add a
great deal of time or difficulty to the project, and it will prevent
you spending time and money on something only to be disappointed with
the results. After all, most things worth doing are worth doing
well. The major benefit of lining the valance will be that the
valance will look better during daylight when the sun is streaming
through from behind. Hold a sample of your fabric up to the window to
see what I mean -- with most fabrics, you can't even see the pattern
if it's unlined and backlit, and the hem along the bottom will be very
obvious from the front because there will be three layers of fabric in
the double hem, compared with only one layer in the body of the
valance. As for the fabric selection, I agree that themed rooms for
children are notoriously shortlived and you should go ahead and
purchase that Nemo fabric at Wal Mart or wherever you can get it the
cheapest. I also have another suggestion for patterns: check out
www.mfay.com. They have a complete line of window treatment patterns,
many of which are for professional workrooms, but the patterns that
say "Sew Easy" are perfect for home sewers, very easy to understand,
and will enable you to get very professional results. As for the
width, I size my valances the same width as the window (including the
window trim if there is any), or perhaps a few inches wider, if there
are not going to be drapery panels beneath the valance. Also, I like
to mount the valance on the wall above the window so that the window
trim is hidden even at the short point of the valance, but most of the
valance fabric is covering wallspace above the window rather than
covering the glass and blocking sunlight. This can also help to
visually heighten the ceilings and give more of a designer look.

Best of luck with your project!
Rebecca in Charlotte, NC

Old April 2nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Myrna

On Mar 30, 2:21 pm, "sewfine" wrote:
On Mar 27, 11:57 am, "Myrna" wrote:

[...]

Rebecca,
Thank you so much for your response! You are the first person who has
actually given me reasons that make sense about why I should use a
lining. I did buy the fabric in walmart since it was the only local
place that had it. I wonder if lining fabric is actually called this?
I looked but didn't see anything named that. I really am a beginner
here!

The valences are in my daughter's home. She has picked this theme and
that will be her problem when the kids don't like it anymore. She also
has the rod already installed. She has a shade for privacy and given
that it is for a child, I think it will be fine to have it mounted on
the window frame.

Now, I'm nervous about using a lining because I've ready my book and
they say to sew the lining for the area between the rod pocket and the
hem. I'm not sure how to do that. The book isn't clear. Have I bitten
off too much for my experience?

Myrna

Old April 2nd 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Taria

Wal Mart here has Roclon (I think that is the brand) of curtain
lining. It is over by the muslin. I did some valances for my
family room years ago. The were splendid but after all finished
I could see they needed the lining because of the sun shining
behind. It would have been a lot easier to line while making them
than afterwards but they came out ok.

TAria