Info on Necklace

Old December 15th 04, 03:28 AM
Russell

Default Info on Necklace

My wife found this necklace with matching earings at a thrift store. She is
intersted in finding out what she can about it.

Here is a photo of the necklace:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/index.htm

Anyone have an idea of when it may have been produced? Maker etc.???

You can reply directly to us at

Many thnaks,
Russell

Old December 16th 04, 04:06 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 03:28:09 GMT, "Russell"
wrote:

My wife found this necklace with matching earings at a thrift store. She is
intersted in finding out what she can about it.

Here is a photo of the necklace:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/index.htm

Anyone have an idea of when it may have been produced? Maker etc.???

From the picture, I can only say it looks like cast brass with paste
pearls. If you want a better opinion, please lighten the picture and
upload it again. Also, please show the back side of the clasp (if
there is one) and the two metal pieces.

You can reply directly to us at

Don't be silly.

Many thnaks,
Russell

--
Marilee J. Layman
Old December 16th 04, 04:14 PM
Ted Frater

wrote:

My wife found this necklace with matching earings at a thrift store. She is
intersted in finding out what she can about it.

Here is a photo of the necklace:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/index.htm

Anyone have an idea of when it may have been produced? Maker etc.???

From the picture, I can only say it looks like cast brass with paste
pearls. If you want a better opinion, please lighten the picture and
upload it again. Also, please show the back side of the clasp (if
there is one) and the two metal pieces.

You can reply directly to us at

Don't be silly.

Many thnaks,
Russell

Any chance of a picture of the earrings ? are they drops or clips?
I looks like a museum repro piece.
In the high rococo style , say 1500 to 1750 AD.
Most probably of central European origin
Looking at the corrosion in the jumpring area it looks like a low temp
rubber mould casting that has been brass plated. Not cost effective to
use solid brass due to high chasing and finishing costs, likewise not a
stamping either. .
Probably made in N. Italy where there particularly good at small
metalwork repros of this kind.
If the earrings are large then there out of character for the period.
A bit of repro licence id say.
Apart from all that the interpretation is good , the original
designer/maker knew about balance and proportion . Look at the use of
the large jump rings to join the components.
the central stone is glass with sim pearls in cruciform location..
The support leather? seems decorated as well. Unusual to say the least.
When the image was loading the 1st part looked as if it was a chest of
drawers handle.
Is there any writing anywhere ? or nos? For example the german 1 is
quite different to the US 1, etc.
you need to talk to a curator of a jewellery dept in a big museum.
they would have a better idea.
Will your wife be wearing it? if so on what sort of occasion?

Old December 19th 04, 03:55 AM
Russell

Here are better photographs with the back and the earrings included. We saw
no writing. I don't expect my wife will actually wear the jewelry.

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/ Necklace and earrings

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/01.html Necklace back

Any suggestions on cleaning would be appreciated. She doesn't want to
damage the pieces but does think that they need cleaning.

Thanks for the replies thus far. The information is much appreciated.

Russell

wrote:

My wife found this necklace with matching earings at a thrift store.

She is
intersted in finding out what she can about it.

Here is a photo of the necklace:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/index.htm

Anyone have an idea of when it may have been produced? Maker etc.???

From the picture, I can only say it looks like cast brass with paste

Old December 19th 04, 03:57 AM
Peter W.. Rowe,

On , in Tõ "Russell" wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/ Necklace and earrings

Just a heads up... that looks like the original image you posted. shows no earrings.
Wrong URL perhaps?

cheers

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry
Old December 19th 04, 07:05 PM
Marion Margoshes

wrote:

My wife found this necklace with matching earings at a thrift store.

She is
intersted in finding out what she can about it.

Here is a photo of the necklace:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/index.htm

Anyone have an idea of when it may have been produced? Maker etc.???

From the picture, I can only say it looks like cast brass with paste
[...]

It looks like paste.
Is it actually metal?
--
Marion

Old December 19th 04, 09:24 PM
Marilee J. Layman

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:55:30 GMT, "Russell"
wrote:

Here are better photographs with the back and the earrings included. We saw
no writing. I don't expect my wife will actually wear the jewelry.

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/ Necklace and earrings

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/01.html Necklace back

Any suggestions on cleaning would be appreciated. She doesn't want to
damage the pieces but does think that they need cleaning.

Thanks for the replies thus far. The information is much appreciated.

Ted's right, this looks brass-plated and has heavy damage from
wear-and-tear. Cleaning it might take more of the plating off. The
pearls still look like paste/simulants, and the glass pieces remind me
of Japanese glass during the Occupation.

The lower earring needs the setting adjusted.

"Ted Frater" wrote in message
.. .
wrote:

My wife found this necklace with matching earings at a thrift store.

She is
intersted in finding out what she can about it.

Here is a photo of the necklace:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/index.htm

Anyone have an idea of when it may have been produced? Maker etc.???

From the picture, I can only say it looks like cast brass with paste

Old December 20th 04, 12:44 AM
Russell

Marion,

We are both sitting here feeling a little stupid. We don't understand your
question. What is paste?

Russell

wrote:

My wife found this necklace with matching earings at a thrift store.

She is
intersted in finding out what she can about it.

Here is a photo of the necklace:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/index.htm

Anyone have an idea of when it may have been produced? Maker etc.???

From the picture, I can only say it looks like cast brass with paste

Old December 20th 04, 09:06 AM
Don T

What is paste? The origins of the term paste are unknown. However paste is a
collective word used for cut leaded glass that is faceted to resemble gems
or precious stones. Sometimes it is referred to as strass. Georges Frederic
Strass, a Parisian jeweler in 18th Century France lends his name to these
stones. Around 1730 and after, he became world famous for his paste jewelry.
He used a mixture of glass and lead that makes glass highly reflective and
began mounting them in the most sumptuous of settings. The stones are coated
with a metal coating or foiling to make them even more brilliant and
refractive. The mid and later 18th Century was awash with paste and even
Marie Antoinette wore it copiously. The craftsmanship required to cut paste
is demanding and is thought to be more difficult than the art of cutting
diamonds. Diamonds are harder thus easier to work with in many respects.
Examining 18th Century paste shows the variety of stone cuts, marquise,
oval, pear and all manner of shapes and sizes. A surprising variety of
shades and colors was utilized. The jewelry can be of very high quality and
skill. Paste was used in everything from men's shoe buckles, to the most
magnificent of tiaras. Most strass or paste jewelry ranges from the 18th
century through about 1850, but the word has come to be used to encompass
other finer imitation stones through the early 19th Century. Paste jewelry
has drawn a special collector, thus quite expensive and more and more
difficult to obtain, particularly in the earlier examples or ones with
color. Its luster, glow and shimmer are incomparable. Black dot paste is
paste which has a tiny black dot painted on the very bottom underside of the
stone. It is thought to have mimicked the open culet of early diamond cuts,
which often look quite dark or black. The culet is the bottom of the stone,
where in today's modern stone cuts all the facets come to a perfect point.
In years past, the facets did not meet in a point but joined around a flat
area on the bottom. Black dot paste is one hallmark of very fine quality
paste. However, there are many examples of excellent paste which do not have
these tiny black dots.

from: http://www.jmseva.com/glossary/paste.html

--

Don Thompson

Remmy sez,
Count de Monet.
Unless, of course, you are Baroque.

news

wrote:

My wife found this necklace with matching earings at a thrift store.
She is
intersted in finding out what she can about it.

Here is a photo of the necklace:

http://home.comcast.net/~mr.doe/index.htm

Anyone have an idea of when it may have been produced? Maker
etc.???

From the picture, I can only say it looks like cast brass with paste

Old December 20th 04, 03:58 PM
Marion Margoshes

[...]