ITC-213 cement - need an ounce or less

Old December 16th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.pottery
WKW

Default ITC-213 cement - need an ounce or less

I have a couple of nice soldering stations with burned out elements that I
need to rewind. I found the nichrome wire I need cheap on eBay, but now I
need something to insulate it from the metal. After doing some research, I
came across ITC-213 refractory cement which seems to be ideal, but only see
it sold by the pint - which is probably 100 times more than I'll ever need.
Does anybody here have a tiny amount they can sell me? I probably only need
a teaspoon or two.
Old December 16th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.pottery
Ned Simmons

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:06:26 -0600, WKW wrote:

I have a couple of nice soldering stations with burned out elements that I
need to rewind. I found the nichrome wire I need cheap on eBay, but now I
need something to insulate it from the metal. After doing some research, I
came across ITC-213 refractory cement which seems to be ideal, but only see
it sold by the pint - which is probably 100 times more than I'll ever need.
Does anybody here have a tiny amount they can sell me? I probably only need
a teaspoon or two.

If you're willing to substitute, I have some Sauereisen cement that
should work. The jar's not close at hand, but I think it's zirconia
based. If you want to look into it I'll get the exact product name. It
may be No.13 on this page:
http://www.sauereisen.com/c_prod/c_chemical.asp

--
Ned Simmons
Old December 17th 08, 10:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.pottery
WKW

Ned Simmons wrote in
news
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:06:26 -0600, WKW wrote:

I have a couple of nice soldering stations with burned out elements
that I need to rewind. I found the nichrome wire I need cheap on eBay,
but now I need something to insulate it from the metal. After doing
some research, I came across ITC-213 refractory cement which seems to
be ideal, but only see it sold by the pint - which is probably 100
times more than I'll ever need. Does anybody here have a tiny amount
they can sell me? I probably only need a teaspoon or two.

If you're willing to substitute, I have some Sauereisen cement that
should work. The jar's not close at hand, but I think it's zirconia
based. If you want to look into it I'll get the exact product name. It
may be No.13 on this page:
http://www.sauereisen.com/c_prod/c_chemical.asp

It looks that should work fine if it is #13. The wire was wound on the
outside of a 1/4" dia hollow steel tube, which is in turn slid inside a
slightly larger dia. steel tube, with only about.02" of space between
the inner and outer tube, so there is no room for mica or any other
insulators. The inner tube must be painted & dried before winding on the
wire element, then painted over again before inserting it in the outer
tube. Fortunately, it is only a 24 volt 2 amp element, so higher voltage
breakdown is not a problem. Most irons operate at about 700 or 800 deg.
F. ( about 400 deg C )

Wade
Old December 17th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.pottery
Ned Simmons

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 03:11:30 -0600, WKW wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote in
news
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:06:26 -0600, WKW wrote:

I have a couple of nice soldering stations with burned out elements
that I need to rewind.

http://www.sauereisen.com/c_prod/c_chemical.asp

It looks that should work fine if it is #13.

It is in fact No.13. I'm happy to send a couple spoonsful in a ziploc
bag if you email me your address. Post a heads up here as well so I
can be sure your email makes it thru the spam filters.

You can pay by donating $5, or whatever you think it's worth, in a
Salvation Army kettle or to a similar service organization.

--
Ned Simmons
Old December 18th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.pottery
Michael A. Terrell

Ned Simmons wrote:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 03:11:30 -0600, WKW wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote in
news
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:06:26 -0600, WKW wrote:

I have a couple of nice soldering stations with burned out elements
that I need to rewind.

http://www.sauereisen.com/c_prod/c_chemical.asp

It looks that should work fine if it is #13.

It is in fact No.13. I'm happy to send a couple spoonsful in a ziploc
bag if you email me your address. Post a heads up here as well so I
can be sure your email makes it thru the spam filters.

You can pay by donating $5, or whatever you think it's worth, in a
Salvation Army kettle or to a similar service organization.

Make sure you mark the bag with the proper name just in case the post
office damages it, and some leaks out.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Old December 18th 08, 05:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.pottery
Ned Simmons

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 21:15:50 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Make sure you mark the bag with the proper name just in case the post
office damages it, and some leaks out.

Good point. Once upon a time that might have been a joke.

How about I enclose a note that says, "This is not anthrax!" (That's a
joke.)

--
Ned Simmons
Old December 18th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.pottery
DoN. Nichols

On 2008-12-17, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 03:11:30 -0600, WKW wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote in
news
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:06:26 -0600, WKW wrote:

I have a couple of nice soldering stations with burned out elements
that I need to rewind.

http://www.sauereisen.com/c_prod/c_chemical.asp

It looks that should work fine if it is #13.

It is in fact No.13. I'm happy to send a couple spoonsful in a ziploc
bag if you email me your address. Post a heads up here as well so I
can be sure your email makes it thru the spam filters.

Beware to clearly mark it. I can just see it being mistaken for
anthrax or pseudo-anthrax when going through the mail system.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Old December 18th 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.pottery
Michael A. Terrell

wrote:

Make sure you mark the bag with the proper name just in case the post
office damages it, and some leaks out.

Good point. Once upon a time that might have been a joke.

How about I enclose a note that says, "This is not anthrax!" (That's a
joke.)

That would probably get you a visit from people with a battering ram
& assault rifles.

Two idiot salesmen for another division of the company I worked for
filled an envelope with talcum powder and dropped it it the hallway
right after the first incident. They were fired, and arrested for
terrorism.

Old December 18th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.crafts.pottery
WKW

Ned Simmons wrote in
:

On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 03:11:30 -0600, WKW wrote:

Ned Simmons wrote in
news
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:06:26 -0600, WKW wrote:

I have a couple of nice soldering stations with burned out elements
that I need to rewind.

http://www.sauereisen.com/c_prod/c_chemical.asp

It looks that should work fine if it is #13.

It is in fact No.13. I'm happy to send a couple spoonsful in a ziploc
bag if you email me your address. Post a heads up here as well so I
can be sure your email makes it thru the spam filters.

You can pay by donating $5, or whatever you think it's worth, in a
Salvation Army kettle or to a similar service organization.

Thanks. That is my correct email in the header, you can send me a note
there and I'll reply back with my address.

Wade

[ADVERT] Schauer and Blythe jewellery enamel $3 per ounce great colors Sean Jewelry 3 April 11th 06 07:02 AM
FA: Schauer and Blythe jewellery enamel and glass $2 per ounce greatcolors Sean Pottery 0 April 11th 06 01:21 AM
cement suzanne Glass 24 October 20th 05 03:35 AM
Where can I get pretty furnace glass slices by the ounce? Aoie Beads 1 August 18th 05 09:38 PM