Soldering copper mounting brackets.

Old November 27th 03, 08:28 PM
Andy Dingley

Default Soldering copper mounting brackets.

I'm a furniture maker, wood and metal worker, and I know almost
nothing about working glass.

I'm designing a light fitting at the moment - a rectangular horizontal
box with a shallow "pagoda" roof above it. It's to be wall mounted
above a mirror. Construction is of foiled and soldered glass. I
won't be making this myself, but having it made for me by a friend who
normally does decorative hanging 2D panels.

I need to wall mount these two sections, which sounds like I need to
solder brackets to the glasswork and have them attach to fittings that
I screw to the wall. I'm thinking of copper tubes loosely telescoping
inside each other - about 8mm diameter. One is soldered to the
bracket, the other is soldered inside the glass - probably as two
short 1" pieces. A small end disk on the brackets stops them sliding
off, unless lifted over.

Any thoughts ? Is this a workable scheme ?

Is there any problem in soldering relatively heavy copper to foiled
edges of glass ?

Thanks for any advice.

Old November 27th 03, 11:28 PM
Mike Firth

You should have no problem with the soldering. Depending on how tight
the fit you want and how big the tubing, you will have more choices if you
use brass instead of copper. K&S Metals, whose display can be found in most
hardware and hobby shops, makes telescoping copper tubing up to about 3/16"
and telescoping brass tubing in two different wall thicknesses up to about
3/4". The thicker wall only comes in the 3' lengths, the other on both 1'
and 3'
I have assembled all kinds of gadgets with this brass material. If you have
trouble finding it, we have it at Elliotts Hardware in Dallas.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
[...]

Failed copper patina on stained glass Adrian Glass 7 May 3rd 10 11:54 PM
A sort of OT question on copper Karen_AZ Beads 6 July 6th 04 12:00 AM
how do you feel about copper? Pam Beads 22 February 27th 04 08:59 PM
Copper starlia Beads 7 September 8th 03 10:25 PM
Pearls and Copper Valerie Beads 4 August 5th 03 02:05 AM