Miiiiighty quiet

Old July 22nd 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

Default Miiiiighty quiet

Good, another vote for sandpaper. Thanks Sofia

--
Jan in MN

"Magie Noire" wrote in message
Yes, it is Jan, with very fine grain sand paper! Good luck!
Sofia D

"Midwest poster" a écrit dans le message de

Actually, it's Kidsilk Spray which is the same as Haze but in variegated
colors. Mine is called Medici which is shades of blue. It is soooooo
soft.
Can anybody tell me if it's possible to sharpen the points on my bamboo
needles?

--
Jan in MN

Old July 22nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Hill Top Woolies

hesira wrote:
Wooly,
I'll probably end up with the radiation. I hadn't
thought about the hair loss. Mine is fine, and I can't afford to lose
much of it.

I also have hypothyroid. I have been on Synthroid for 3 years now.
Hesira, thinning hair is part of hypothyroid, I dont know about Graves,
but dry skin, thinning hair, dry hair, screwy mensus... all are part of
hypothyroid so if you can get it treated your hair may thicken up, mine
did.
I also have Polysystic Ovarian Disease, it has the same symptoms as
hypothyroid so I was getting a double wammy! Good to have it controled.
~~Becky
ps Oh yeah, should have those lamb pics up soon

Old July 22nd 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Sandpaper works. A very sharp knife works. A freshly broken pane of glass
works. A "wood scraper" works.

Sometimes pencil sharpeners are dull, and tear the fibers leaving roughness
requiring resorting to above.

I think wood or bamboo knitting needle tips need to be reworked or
refinished whenever you change from one style of yarn to another (i.e., from
loose spun to tightly spun) and then sanded again every 50,000 stitches
afterward. I think my steel needles will go 500,000 stitches between
tune-ups. I will tell you when I find out.

Aaron

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article om, "hesira"
wrote:

Hi Jan,

I've got some of the Haze in my stash. It's very similar to the
Douceur et Soie I had so much trouble with. Beautiful stuff.

I'm surprized that Aaron hasn't said anything about sharpening your
bamboos. Are they expensive? Could you experiment with a pencil
sharpener? I seem to remember someone mentioning that on here
somewhere.

Hesira

Jan, or sand paper, you may have better controle with a bit of medium and
then fine sandpaper. A pencil sharpener, may take it away to fast, or
bite into the wood. Sandpaper will give you better controle I would
think, what does Aaron have to say about it

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr

Old July 23rd 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

In article .com,
"hesira" wrote:

Els van Dam wrote:

Jan, or sand paper, you may have better controle with a bit of medium and
then fine sandpaper. A pencil sharpener, may take it away to fast, or
bite into the wood. Sandpaper will give you better controle I would
think, what does Aaron have to say about it

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr

Els, I was thinking a small hand held sharperner, where you put the
pencil in and turn the sharpener, not a handle. (like an eye makeup
pencil sharpener). I have several for sharpening my drawing pencils.
Do you think that kind is as risky as the kind with a handle? I ask,
because, I've considered sharpening my bamboos with one. Even, if one
did use a sharpener, I think a fine sanding would be necessary.

Hesira

I would try it on a piece of bamboo first, once you have taken away to
much you can't put it back. Sandpaper is a very gentle way of making a
point. That is what Otto would do in his workshop when he is working with
wood.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old July 23rd 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

In article ,
wrote:

Sandpaper works. A very sharp knife works. A freshly broken pane of glass
works. A "wood scraper" works.

Sometimes pencil sharpeners are dull, and tear the fibers leaving roughness
requiring resorting to above.

I think wood or bamboo knitting needle tips need to be reworked or
refinished whenever you change from one style of yarn to another (i.e., from
loose spun to tightly spun) and then sanded again every 50,000 stitches
afterward. I think my steel needles will go 500,000 stitches between
tune-ups. I will tell you when I find out.

Aaron

Yes Aaron I forgot about the sharp edge of a piece of glass. You break
the glass over the edge of a file (not a nail file) but one from the
workshop, by getly moving the edge of the glass over the edge of the file,
holding the file between a workbench and your belly. Jan I will teach you
that trick when you are here. We scraped paint of our wooden boat that
way, works like a charm.... You just have to watch your hands, so sanding
is still the easy way to do it.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old July 24th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

Default Sharpening bamboo needles was Miiiiighty quiet

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After much searching, I located my
sandpaper "stash" and have managed to make my needles more pointy. The
k2tog and ssp stitches are much easier now. Kidsilk is not an easy yarn to
work with; I really have to keep my eyes on it to prevent dropped stitches.

--
Jan in MN

Old July 24th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Midwest poster

"Els van Dam" wrote in message ...
Yes Aaron I forgot about the sharp edge of a piece of glass. You break
the glass over the edge of a file (not a nail file) but one from the
workshop, by getly moving the edge of the glass over the edge of the file,
holding the file between a workbench and your belly. Jan I will teach you
that trick when you are here. We scraped paint of our wooden boat that
way, works like a charm.... You just have to watch your hands, so sanding
is still the easy way to do it.

Els

Els, you can show me how to break a piece of glass but you better take a
first aid refresher course first so you can take care of my cuts. LOL

--
Jan in MN

Old July 24th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Els van Dam

In article ,
"Midwest poster" wrote:

"Els van Dam" wrote in message ...
Yes Aaron I forgot about the sharp edge of a piece of glass. You break
the glass over the edge of a file (not a nail file) but one from the
workshop, by getly moving the edge of the glass over the edge of the file,
holding the file between a workbench and your belly. Jan I will teach you
that trick when you are here. We scraped paint of our wooden boat that
way, works like a charm.... You just have to watch your hands, so sanding
is still the easy way to do it.

Els

Els, you can show me how to break a piece of glass but you better take a
first aid refresher course first so you can take care of my cuts. LOL

Nah (spelling) it is a piece of cake......LOL

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old July 24th 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
SpikeDriver

Midwest poster wrote:
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After much searching, I located my
sandpaper "stash" and have managed to make my needles more pointy. The
k2tog and ssp stitches are much easier now. Kidsilk is not an easy yarn to
work with; I really have to keep my eyes on it to prevent dropped stitches.

Leave it to Els and Aaron Jan.

Dennis